Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Ever So Scary Horror Film Thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2012, 05:00 PM   #101
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Kids TV in the seventies was packed with horror, and often quite dark. Some of those old Childrens' Film foundation ones were absolutely bloody terrifying.
This scared the hell out of me as a child. Just look at the opening titles.
Children of the Stones.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2012, 05:17 PM   #102
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anti-christ.

I'm not even going to go into it or post a picture. It's not even "horror" in the traditional sense, but it will fuck your shit up.

Seriously- view with caution. I am not messing around. Do not watch unless you are prepared to be deeply emotionally disturbed.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2012, 05:38 PM   #103
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Freaks by Browning is amazing! but i would hardly call it a horror film.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2012, 06:19 PM   #104
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
This scared the hell out of me as a child. Just look at the opening titles.
Children of the Stones.

That was the series I had in my mind when I wrote that. Scared me silly.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2012, 08:06 PM   #105
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
"Anti-Christ", I was one of the viewers to have found that film terrifying, disturbing and all around pretty brilliant. Actually think it's one of Lars's best films.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2012, 08:22 PM   #106
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Also, I'm not embarrassed to say that The Shining, for reasons I'm unaware of, is the ONLY movie to actually give me nightmares. In fact, it's hard to remember now, but I think I had a dream a long time ago that Jack Torrence was chasing me with an ax, and he might've been crouched over the end of my bed, similar to how Bob would be in twin peaks behind laura palmer's bed. So twin peaks may be in there as well, two movies that have played tricks with my head a few times.

I like the Shining but the problem I have with it is the same that I have with most Kubrick films, the characters. In the novel you get a real sense of Jack's mental disintegration but in the film he goes from mad to completely insane. Same with his wife, he goes from nervous to hysterical with no in between. Kubrick's characters are like cartoon characters. Think of the sargeant in Full Metal Jacket, Dr Strangelove, Alex in A Clockwork Orange. That can work in some types of films but I think it's a real problem with horror.

I've probably done a list elsewhere in this thread but it always changes so here's my current 10, in no real order:

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Wicker Man
3. Carnival of Souls
4. The Devil Rides Out
5. The Thing (John Carpenter's)
6. Basket Case
7. Dawn of the Dead
8. Shivers
9. Martin
10. Witchfinder General
Old 04.24.2012, 08:22 AM   #107
demonrail666
invito al cielo

[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Murmer99 again.]

I too love the claustrophobia of The Shining, and some of the set pieces are among my favourite in any horror movie. The blood from the elevator is definitely a masterstroke.

Regarding your point about Full Metal Jacket, I agree that it's one of his most 'flat' films. And from a personal perspective, it didn't help that the scenes based in Vietnam were shot around the corner from where I was brought up, breaking the spell somewhat.

Of all the films on my list, Basket Case is probably the one I have the most affection for, even if I don't necessarily think it's the best. I first saw it around the same time that I first heard The Cramps and the two seemed to form in my head as a kind of artistic 'position' which to seem degree I still hold on to. It was that whole trash culture thing which lead to my interest in movies like Funhouse and Carnival of Souls, as well as to people like Richard Kern and, more obviously, to the likes of Ed Wood and HG Lewis and B horror movies in general. It also went some way to underpinning my fascination with groups like The Ramones, Pussy Galore and early White Zombie, which seemed to translate those influences into something else entirely but which remain (in my mind) a kind of broadly unified almost subcultural 'thing'. Given all of that, the biggest mystery to me is that, despite endless attempts, I've never been able to get into The Misfits (the band, not the movie).
Old 04.24.2012, 01:47 PM   #108
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Murmer, you considered Blow Out to be a horror flick? We're talking about the Travolta one right? I'd love to hear your take on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Wicker Man
3. Carnival of Souls
4. The Devil Rides Out
5. The Thing (John Carpenter's)
6. Basket Case
7. Dawn of the Dead
8. Shivers
9. Martin
10. Witchfinder General

Haven't seen Devil Rides Out or Witchfinder General... but overall, that's a very nice list. I especially like your #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 02:04 PM   #109
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't watched enough horror to make a proper list, but the Texas Chain Saw Massacre is my fav of all time too.
other favs definitely include Maniac(!!), Dead Alive, Shining, Alien, Possession & Basket Case.
as far as i recall, Fire Walk with Me scared the shit outta me. Freaks is incredible, i agree, but i wouldn't call it horror either.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 02:08 PM   #110
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah, Carrie is quite creepy and ridiculous and awesome.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 04:51 PM   #111
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Haven't seen Devil Rides Out or Witchfinder General.

I don't know if you'd like The Devil Rides Out. I know some big horror fans who don't get it at all. It has the same quite restrained feel as the Quatermass films. But it's incredibly well made (as are the Quatermass films, which were also made by Hammer and by the same director). Of course that'll mean nothing if you haven't seen any of the Quatermass films.Ha Ha.

Witchfinder General seems to be another one that divides people, with some arguing if it's even a horror film at all. It's really more a very depressing and violent historical drama with most of its horror credentials stemming from its goriness and the fact that it stars Vincent Price. Still awesome though.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth