Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2016, 03:03 PM   #19841
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok you got me I'll watch that Hush episode. Promise.

I actually liked the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean, it was obviously terrible. But I think that was kind of the point. When it came out I was all over that shit. Thought it was fun as hell.

Then again, I also watched Clueless at least once a year for a good decade.

the problem with the earlier movie was that it was taken over by shitbirds (i think donald sutherland pulled a kirk douglas-- if you know the story of spartacus). whatever the case, whedon's original script was turned to shit. plus that girl couldn't act much, unlike sarah michelle gellar who was great. plus plus plus. trust me. the tv show kicks the movie in the ass up and down the street for a whole weekend

so anyway yes, season 1 of buffy picks up right after the movie story where she's been expelled for "burning down the gym" lololol.

anyway you can also save "hush" for its rightful place in the story and start season 1, episode 1, and build up to it, 3 seasons later, when you'll know who is who and what is what and will get the full greatness of it.

dude, get ready for a great ride.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 03:14 PM   #19842
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
EXACTLY. and i don't know why. but wasn't it dan o'bannon thing? oh, imdb says no-- it was his "characters". i don't know who owned what. cameron is a great plagiarist.

====

yesterday i finally watched THE CABIN IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO FUCKING BRILLIANT.

It makes me very happy when someone watches this movie for the first time and ends up loving it. This movie didn't get nearly the release or hype it deserved when first released. It was certainly not an easy movie to promote given its a film best seen knowing as little about its plot turns as possible.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 05:18 PM   #19843
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the problem with the earlier movie was that it was taken over by shitbirds (i think donald sutherland pulled a kirk douglas-- if you know the story of spartacus). whatever the case, whedon's original script was turned to shit. plus that girl couldn't act much, unlike sarah michelle gellar who was great. plus plus plus. trust me. the tv show kicks the movie in the ass up and down the street for a whole weekend

so anyway yes, season 1 of buffy picks up right after the movie story where she's been expelled for "burning down the gym" lololol.

anyway you can also save "hush" for its rightful place in the story and start season 1, episode 1, and build up to it, 3 seasons later, when you'll know who is who and what is what and will get the full greatness of it.

dude, get ready for a great ride.

Hahaha! I didn't even know Buffy was a Whedon creation! I thought it was just a cash grab to follow up a cult-ish movie with a series that would get through several seasons on curiosity alone (a la Teen Wolf and Fargo).

Now I want to rewatch the movie. And I actually thought whatshername from the movie was OK. I mean, she was definitely super cute and very watchable. SMG on the other hand... gotta say that name is probably the biggest reason why I never bothered with the TV show. She's kinda... late '90s-md-'00s teen movie blehhhrrghh. Never cared for her in anything.

BUT ... I will take your word for it. Now I'm actually pretty interested, knowing it's a Whedon original. Also, I recently learned through watching WAY too much of the WB/CW forever-running Supernatural that some of those WB/UPN shows were actually pretty smart if you gave them a chance. For instance, there's 12 and counting seasons of Supernatural (ugh) and my wifey has watched all of it. I say it to yuck it up for a few episodes, and kinda came and went, but now I can honestly say that at least once or twice a season there is a genuinely GOOD episode of the show that justifies the rest.

Also, RE: Teen Wolf ... Did you guys know that Jason Bateman took over for Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf Too?
I didn't. Not until the other day when I saw both films in the bargain bin an checked the credits. I'd seen "...Too" plenty of times (child of the '80s, y'know) but it never clicked until then that it was Michael Fucking Bluth doing all that terrible hairy boxing!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 05:21 PM   #19844
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
It makes me very happy when someone watches this movie for the first time and ends up loving it. This movie didn't get nearly the release or hype it deserved when first released. It was certainly not an easy movie to promote given its a film best seen knowing as little about its plot turns as possible.

Well said. Like I said, I thought it was going to be a shitfest until I heard from several reliable sources that it was one of the most "original" horror movies of the decade. They were right of course. But you couldn't tell from the previews that it was going to be a meta-horror masterpiece full of Lovecraftian lore and great genre references.

Somehow feels odd that Cabin is STILL underrated, while DEADPOOL is the highest grossing R film of all time. Cabin did it first, and did it better.
Old 11.08.2016, 10:10 AM   #19845
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

with more time today: yes, i'm a whedon fan and totally totally totally missed this when it was released. i saw serenity, i saw much ado about nothing, i saw dr. horrible, i saw avengers, i saw agents of shield (at first, don't like it anymore) but missed this one COMPLETELY. i was only vaguely aware of the name and nothing more. literally nothing.

but hell yes. yes yes yes yes. great. just. fucking. great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hahaha! I didn't even know Buffy was a Whedon creation! I thought it was just a cash grab to follow up a cult-ish movie with a series that would get through several seasons on curiosity alone (a la Teen Wolf and Fargo).
wait. teen wolf, the mtv show, comes from a movie? lol. never seen that. saw a bit of the mtv shit for lols mostly (talkback tv). anyway...

YES buffy and angel are whedon creations. he wrote a good many episodes and led his team of writers through the development of each seasonal story arc. if you watch them in the right order, you'll understand much better wtf is "the ancient ones" or whatevs in cabin in the woods. plus plus plus plus. not that you *need* it but it just fits the puzzle much better. it's that universe. the universe was created in buffy, expanded in angel, and here we are now (entertain us).

the recommended order is thus:

first: buffy 1 through 3

second: buffy 4 + angel 1 in parallel, and continue in parallel until you run out of buffys and have only angels left

PREPARE TO BE HOOKED. 12 seasons total.
Old 11.08.2016, 12:51 PM   #19846
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

wait. teen wolf, the mtv show, comes from a movie? lol. never seen that. saw a bit of the mtv shit for lols mostly (talkback tv). anyway...

You bet your ass it's from a movie. A movie about a high school werewolf (Michael J. Fox) who uses his Wolf powers to be awesome at basketball. And the movie is actually kind of brilliant (in, coincidentally, kind of a Buffy-esque way).

The sequel is pretty goddamn horrendous. High school werewolf becomes college werewolf, uses werewolf powers to be awesome at boxing and stand-up comedy or some shit.

Not actually sure if it's the same character but it's a stinker. First one is, dare I say, essential viewing for anyone raised in the '80s with an appreciation for the absurd.

Quote:
YES buffy and angel are whedon creations. he wrote a good many episodes and led his team of writers through the development of each seasonal story arc. if you watch them in the right order, you'll understand much better wtf is "the ancient ones" or whatevs in cabin in the woods. plus plus plus plus. not that you *need* it but it just fits the puzzle much better. it's that universe. the universe was created in buffy, expanded in angel, and here we are now (entertain us).

I thought the Ancient One was a Cthulhu-type thing. Am I forgetting something?
Old 11.08.2016, 12:55 PM   #19847
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ you'll find out in buffy/angel

GO VOTE!!!
Old 11.08.2016, 09:32 PM   #19848
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

appropriately, im watching roman polanski's macbeth

hard to concentrate, but... i cant stand the news right now
Old 11.10.2016, 03:50 PM   #19849
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2016, 03:58 PM   #19850
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
How was THe Arrival? I want to see every Amy Adams movie.

Buffy is awesome. Been rewatching slowly. I'm in the mid of season 3 and it's still great.
Old 11.10.2016, 06:24 PM   #19851
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
How was THe Arrival? I want to see every Amy Adams movie.

Buffy is awesome. Been rewatching slowly. I'm in the mid of season 3 and it's still great.

8 of 10. Amy was brilliant. she done her part very well.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2016, 06:37 PM   #19852
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight

Someone, I forget who at this point.. maybe a Roling Stone dude, said this was the "smartest blockbuster since The Dark Knight." That drew me in.

Thought this was in theatres months ago though.
Old 11.10.2016, 07:53 PM   #19853
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
wow good to hear. I def want to see it.
Old 11.11.2016, 02:38 PM   #19854
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

was halfway into HELLRAISER and got distracted. currently celebrating Veteran's Day but so far the movie was pretty terrible. i get the story behind it so far, the thril-seeker

anyway tldr we gonna watch PSYCHO NOW.

PSYCHO HELL YEA

HITCHCOCK IS BOSS
Old 11.11.2016, 02:40 PM   #19855
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I love Hellraiser. It's so weird. The 2nd one is pretty good. The rest get awful. But I love the first one.

Y'all seen Doctor Strange yet? It was a good time. Not quite top tier MCU, but damn good MCU.
Old 11.11.2016, 04:35 PM   #19856
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love Hellraiser. It's so weird. The 2nd one is pretty good. The rest get awful. But I love the first one.

Y'all seen Doctor Strange yet? It was a good time. Not quite top tier MCU, but damn good MCU.
hellraiser is the nightmare of someone who got trapped into a sex cult, but the problem is that weirdness alone doesn't cut it (for me anyway). the story makes so many time leaps that it doesn't give you a compelling narrative. the lighting was also terrible to the point of distraction.

the problem was also that the central character, who is frank, the brother who got involve in shady shit, is given so few lines he's practically a prop for the suffering wife.

as for narratives,

--

oh hi i jjst came back we got psycho ready but had pending yardwork, so... maybe later.

anyway i don't want to condemn hellraiser before i finish it but so far it has been poorly executed. the idea for the core fairytale i get, it's the telling that's bugging me. but i pay too much attention to structure i guess. i think a straight telling would have made this much better.
Old 11.12.2016, 01:34 PM   #19857
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone seen the new Adam Curtis documentary that's on bbc iplayer?

I love Adam Curtis' work and this was no less for me. People say he's too scatterbrain in his approach, but being able to connect over 50 years of history of the middle East, the ideas of William Gibson, Putin and with Patti Smith thrown in into a pretty damn coherent narrative takes some doing. It'll leave you depressed and drained, but worth watching.

All in all, we're fucked.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2016, 05:35 PM   #19858
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Has anyone seen the new Adam Curtis documentary that's on bbc iplayer?

I love Adam Curtis' work and this was no less for me. People say he's too scatterbrain in his approach, but being able to connect over 50 years of history of the middle East, the ideas of William Gibson, Putin and with Patti Smith thrown in into a pretty damn coherent narrative takes some doing. It'll leave you depressed and drained, but worth watching.

All in all, we're fucked.

gaaaaah! i've been meaning to watch it, but got SERIOUSLY sidetracked about it

i need a VPN to get the bbc player to work here in 'merica but forgot to install it-- now i'm refurbishing an old macbook pro, and it's *almost ready* for prime time. so i'll probably load it monday if i get to install the HD posts tomorrow (some pins that need a torx key)-- thanks for the reminder
Old 11.12.2016, 06:22 PM   #19859
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway i don't want to condemn hellraiser before i finish it but so far it has been poorly executed. the idea for the core fairytale i get, it's the telling that's bugging me.

I couldn't agree more. I've tried countless times with it because I really really want to like it. Barker clearly has a great imagination and the scenes with the cenobites are awesome but the rest of it is just so flat. The main girl is particularly awful. Although I'm not sure if that's her fault or just poor direction from Barker (I suspect the latter). Fans will definitely disagree but, for me, if there was ever a film that warranted a remake it's that one. So long as whoever did it, didn't fuck around with the cenobites: the film's sole saving grace imo.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2016, 10:56 PM   #19860
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I couldn't agree more. I've tried countless times with it because I really really want to like it. Barker clearly has a great imagination and the scenes with the cenobites are awesome but the rest of it is just so flat. The main girl is particularly awful. Although I'm not sure if that's her fault or just poor direction from Barker (I suspect the latter). Fans will definitely disagree but, for me, if there was ever a film that warranted a remake it's that one. So long as whoever did it, didn't fuck around with the cenobites: the film's sole saving grace imo.

Cenobites get CRAAAZY in the second one, which a lot of people prefer to the first actually.

Also, a remake has been in talks for YEARS. One of them turned into a really poorly rated direct to video "sequel" a couple years ago that I never bothered with. Barked was going to be involved in the remake, but ... y'know..

I too would love to see a good retelling, since the first had the camera sheen of an early '90s Lifetime movie. For me, though, it worked all things considered.

The second one really kicks it up a notch. Some genuinely terrifying shit for an '80s movie. All the others are terrible. Maybe not as bad as the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels... but definitely nothing good going on in any of them. The fourth (which attempts to be anfar future space opera AND alternate history tale using a cast of essentially one very bad actor playing generation after generation of males in his family) is particularly awful in every way.
893943983990991992 993 994995996100310431093 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth