Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What do you hope to get out the Daydream Nation shows?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2007, 05:38 PM   #81
mollach
empty page

mollach has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
sorry i did not want this to go off the front page.
is this a dumb question?
i am willing to travel 1,000 miles to see sr perform an epic album.
all the other venues have sold out quickly.
i don't want to miss this opportunity.
who is promoting the show? is there a pre-sale?
could some one pm me the info.
i realize posting on the board enables scalpers.
mollach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 06:01 PM   #82
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Going back to the original post.

Everybody has their own take on the merits/otherwise of a band revisiting their earlier material. That's fine. Personally (that has to be my most used word) I feel that this performance is something positive, and not countrary to their status as artists.

My own view is that seeing Daydream Nation, performed live by Sonic Youth is a rare occurance. It is one of my favourite albums, from my favourite band. I will never see the likes again in my lifetime, I will treasure the experience. That is the basic rationale behind me travelling to London.

People generally don't take issue with a symphony orchestra playing the great works of Mozart or Rachmaninov. I see this performance as roughly equivalent, except of course, the artist themselves are alive to perform it. For me, this is the great bonus.

1988 will not be summoned back during these performances, I don't want it to be. I know this is a horrible cliché, but great art is timeless.

These nights in Camden are a celebration of exceptional material and the people who wrote it. We're very lucky to have the opportunity to experience it.

Just my take.
Old 03.23.2007, 06:35 PM   #83
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou
1988 will not be summoned back during these performances, I don't want it to be.
I do get the feeling that there are a fair number of people around, though, who feel that they are going to get some kind of a genuine "1988" experience. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into some of the posts in the many other threads on the matter. Whatever, as someone has said before, maybe I should lighten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou
These nights in Camden are a celebration of exceptional material and the people who wrote it...

Just my take.
Probably the best take on the subject that I've yet to see.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 06:59 PM   #84
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
I hope to actually make it to one. My boyfriend (WHOREOHSCOPE) and a friend of ours (Anngella) already have tickets & their ride situation planned out. I have neither. I'm on my own.

I have a daddy who will probably be working, a mommy afraid to drive around in Chicago, and no license of my own.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 07:09 PM   #85
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
They play festivals every time they hit Europe. They play festivals here when they can. They even played the Minnesota and New York State Fairs last year.

However, it seems fairly obvious after all these years that Sonic Youth will always draw the line somewhere and be found in the art camp of the art/commerce equation. This being the case, sonicl's repeated diatribe is wearing a bit thin.

A few seconds of Lee's whispers on Matthew Stearns' dictaphone tells me that Sonic Youth are doing everything just as they always have: They are playing the Daydream Nation shows because they've decided that they want to play all those songs again.

---=
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 09:42 PM   #86
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
basically? free swag.
Old 03.24.2007, 04:37 AM   #87
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
My first reaction was : they're playing something old, as if it were a come back, without having actually split before !
I found it odd and thrilling.
Basically, I'm heading to London to see SY play songs they didn't play last time I saw them.
I wasn't aware of SY's existence in 1988 (I remember the covers, but they were not aired then on my radios and so on).
I'm looking forward to the songs and slight changes here and there, compared to both album and 1988-89 bootlegs I've heard. That's the odd part. Two or three posters mentioned classical music before. There is something there, in the minds of the promoters and/or the bands, the will to build something that will remain, maybe?
Other personal reasons to go see them are :
When a band I like plays a place I feel somewhat attracted to, I'm eager to go, so I'll walk London streets again.
And meeting people from the board, young ones, people my age, people over 40 is something else too.
See you.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2007, 04:56 AM   #88
lalie
bad moon rising

lalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisstina
I hope to actually make it to one. My boyfriend (WHOREOHSCOPE) and a friend of ours (Anngella) already have tickets & their ride situation planned out. I have neither. I'm on my own.

I have a daddy who will probably be working, a mommy afraid to drive around in Chicago, and no license of my own.

I hope you'll manage to make it Prisstina!

lalie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2007, 04:08 AM   #89
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
This should be the ultimate wet dream for each real Sonic Youth fan. I still hope that they add a belgian gig for this because it will be the ultimate sy-concert ever. And if they really do it for the money, who cares, please go for more money and release a combined DVD/CD of those gigs, I would buy them all if they would do that (like Pearl Jam & other bands already do of their shows).

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2007, 06:52 AM   #90
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
My god, do people ever just listen to an album weeks in advance, get really drunk, rock the fuck out, and talk about how great the music was at concerts anymore? Is it that hard to have fun without overanalyzing the concert process? The shame is that people on the board are thinking more about this "concept" than the band ever did. This was the best news I've received in a long time. I didn't spend time dwelling on whether this was a positive artistic move or not. I know that I will have a good day when I go to the Chicago show (waiting front row Thurston through the hot sun or whatever else) and meet cool people that will be giddy like me.

I respect people's opinion, and of course the board is a place to share them, but I really really fucking hate it when this place gets crowded with people that work so hard to NOT have fun and simply enjoy the music of what I would assume is our favorite band of all time.

And the ridiculous thought that they'll butcher their own songs? Though I admit that the "Total Trash" of 2003 (I think) was not as tight as the album, these songs will be perfected for these shows. When has Sonic youth ever butchered their own songs live on a consistent basis?

Lighten up, get drunk, sing along, and be excited about something that very few people "get". This concept wasn't created for the masses, it was created for us, the extreme Sonic Youth fans to get our jollies off en masse.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2007, 11:36 PM   #91
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
^PREACH!!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth