Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2017, 11:42 AM   #20381
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Trick 'r Treat

I'm a couple of months late with this (or 9 months early, depending how you look at at) but anyway. Good stuff; the funny bits are funny and the creepy bits are creepy. Surely destined to become a Halloween movie staple.

I thought this was sure to becomea franchise. Seemed sequel worthy to me.

One of the better pop horror movies in recent years. I liked it a lot.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 11:50 AM   #20382
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Mike Dougherty announced Trick 'r Treat 2. The guy just has a few different things going on. I think he announced Krampus a few years before that actually happened too. So Trick 'r Treat 2 will likely happen, at some point. I still haven't seen Krampus.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 11:56 AM   #20383
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

You've sold me on the film man. Will watch. I'm all for zero-glamor in crime movies. One of my major gripes with the Sopranos is that it decided to maintain a relatable protagonist over depicting the characters with a consistent level of despicabiloty.

well, maybe, maybe not. I find a lot of the characters in Gomorrah very sympathetic. Sort of "caught in a trap they didn't make". Most of them are not really despicable, either.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 12:08 PM   #20384
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Mike Dougherty announced Trick 'r Treat 2. The guy just has a few different things going on. I think he announced Krampus a few years before that actually happened too. So Trick 'r Treat 2 will likely happen, at some point. I still haven't seen Krampus.

Krampus sucks.
Old 01.06.2017, 12:25 PM   #20385
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
P.s. The Sparrow and its sequel actually have a lot to do with the Camorra. Much of it takes place in Naples... At least.. you know.. when they're not all in space.
ha! i didn't know this. maybe i'll read it again some day ha ha.

so anyway, the title of the movie/book is a pun, yeah.

unrelated trivia-- in spanish, "camorra" means fight-- like, a street brawler would be described as "le gusta la camorra" (he likes camorra). not sure of the etymology-- prolly from when spain occupied the kingdom of sicily. or maybe from neapolitan immigrants in argentina. likely this.

but yeah, languages evolve. it's what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
well, maybe, maybe not. I find a lot of the characters in Gomorrah very sympathetic. Sort of "caught in a trap they didn't make". Most of them are not really despicable, either.
yes! totally. this is why i've compared it to the wire. what's despicable is their toxic social system. the individuals are just cogs in the machine and it's nearly impossible for them to escape their condition. better to say no more or i'll spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 01:24 PM   #20386
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

As Above So Below

Wasn't sure about this to begin with but it soon picked up and I ended up really liking it! Sits somewhere between Blair Witch Project and The Descent.

Galaxy Quest

Love it
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 01:44 PM   #20387
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

As Above So Below

Wasn't sure about this to begin with but it soon picked up and I ended up really liking it! Sits somewhere between Blair Witch Project and The Descent.

yeah was better than expected. I enjoyed that one.
Old 01.06.2017, 04:58 PM   #20388
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
The Squid and The Whale - A subtle gem. I was actually really shocked how good it was. Has a great cast (they all nail their parts and Jeff Daniels is actually really underrated) and script. Great and heartfelt film about divorce.

On The Waterfront - I couldn't imagine seeing this in 1954. It is so real. Perfect film in my eyes.

The Shooting - Good but not great. Like if Becket made a western. I will probably be revisiting soon though.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 09:38 PM   #20389
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

As Above So Below

We watched this on HBO GO not too long ago. I remember we were just kind of desperate for something not unwatchably shitty to kill an evening with.

It was much better and a good deal creepier than we expected, with some interesting camera work. I think they're making (have already made?) a sequel, which seems like a fine idea to me.

Good not great horror flicks are rare. You don't expect to find many great ones, so the best you hope for when digging through subscription services at 10 p.m. is something that won't feel like a waste of time. This passed the test.
Old 01.07.2017, 12:36 AM   #20390
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Galaxy Quest

Love it
oh holy shit

i'm waaaaaaaaay overdue on watching this
Old 01.07.2017, 01:07 AM   #20391
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'd be all for a sequel of As Above...

Squid & Whale is brutal. Really hit me in the feels.
Old 01.07.2017, 04:42 AM   #20392
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Awakening

This came highly recommended but I felt deflated almost as soon as I realised that it's one of those oh-so tastefully and professionally done BBC ghost story movies that I've come to find so irritating these days. The cinematography is typically good and the acting's of the usual high standard, but it's that typical BBC middle-brow politeness that just immediately makes me yearn for something with a bit more balls. Although in the film's favour, the BBC is always far less cringeworthy these days when it does 'polite' than when it tries to dip its toe into anything edgier.
Old 01.07.2017, 04:46 AM   #20393
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh holy shit

i'm waaaaaaaaay overdue on watching this

It's a great popcorn film. Pure enjoyment. Some real laugh out loud moments.
Old 01.07.2017, 12:06 PM   #20394
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'd be all for a sequel of As Above...

Squid & Whale is brutal. Really hit me in the feels.

Oh yeah, that one was rough. All Noah Bombauch (sp?) films are. Funny that he was mentored by, and originally touted as "the next," Wes Anderson. I know Anderson is way too heavily associated with hipsterdom to be considered legit by most film buffs, but I love (LOVE) his movies, and think he's perfected the art of telling family-based dramedies in an almost Salinger-esque degree. And his movies are generally hilarious, while Bombauch's just go for the gut and pull out the talons. So, the next Anderson, Bombauch is not. But he still has a unique, if heartbreaking, style and vision.
Old 01.07.2017, 12:11 PM   #20395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA

ridiculous, great, terrible, great, absurd, very well made, awful 80s soundtrack and 100% hilarious, some cheesy acting but also kurt russell's best lines ever

features a bazillion chinese stereotypes, a penthouse pet from 1981, random fantastic monsters, kim cattrall, martial,arts exhibitions, decent special effects, etc etc

A+++ for lazy morning weekend action movie with good laughs

in glorious blu-ray
Old 01.07.2017, 12:18 PM   #20396
Severian
invito al cielo

I rewatched this after Civil War to compare the two. Split it into two viewings.
Honestly, it's pretty engaging, and holds up pretty well. There are far too many slow-mo scenes, and Batman is pretty much just a huge fuckup, and essentially serves as the movie's main villain. Seriously, all he does is fuck shit up for poor old Superman and allow himself to be manipulated by Luther (some "detective"). He is absolutely in the wrong for 90% of the film, and hogs way too much of the screen time.

I love all things Superman, so it's insulting to me that there was so little Superman in this film, but I still cried (yep... cried) when he died, and when he met the ghost of his father on that mountaintop in wherever-the-fuck.

Poor guy was just trying to help people. Batman fucked all of his shit up.

The fight scene with Doomsday was really amazing. Truly. Insanely good visuals during all of that. And the story actually works in a lot of ways. I think with some tweaking this could have been a more beloved film. It certainly wasn't bad (except for that "God have mercy on my soul" bit.. ugh! Made me embarrassed to be alive).

I get why Civil War was a bigger hit with critics and audiences. It was accessible. The violence was more straight forward. It has, like, more fists and punching. People like fists and punching. It also made a really strong case or both sides, and I can see how someone could root for Iron Man or Cap or both. I'm a Cap man myself, and watching him beat Tony Stark bloody ("You can't beat him hand to hand!" the not-Jarvis rock-voice says... ha. No shit) was extremely satisfying.

I like Chris Evans's Captain America because he's super likeable. Superman should be this likable I viewers, as they basically play the same part in these movies. D.C. has a lot of work to do to win people back.
Old 01.07.2017, 12:22 PM   #20397
Severian
invito al cielo

Haha. I watched this because I'm apparently on a superhero kick. Wow. It was quite bad. Best part by far was Evan Peters as Quicksilver. The rest was atrocious. Olivia Munn? Give me a fucking break.

So sick of seeing Hugh Jackman with claws acting dumb. This shit is just awful and always has been. If ever a franchise needed to be rebuilt from the ground up, this is it. Fuck this shit.

Fuck that LOGAN movie too. Yuck. Give this property to Marvel and let them them turn it into something Guardians of the Galaxy-like. Bryan Singer is the worst.
Old 01.07.2017, 02:33 PM   #20398
demonrail666
invito al cielo

By the Sea

A Euro Art House inspired vanity project starring, written and directed by Angelina Jolie (alongside then Mr Jolie) was always gonna give ample opportunity for mickey taking, and the critics have predictably savaged it. It isn't a great film by any means but I somehow managed to enjoy it. If nothing else, nobody can deny that it's absolutely gorgeous to look at - albeit in Sunday supplement travel feature kind of way. And I don't think I've ever seen Angelina look more beautiful.

Old 01.07.2017, 02:43 PM   #20399
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ if i had known that angelina had written it i would have actually been more curious to look at it

now i will at some point

so this was a prelude to their divorce yeah?

btw, SHE'S FREE, OH YEAH
Old 01.07.2017, 02:49 PM   #20400
Severian
invito al cielo

I've heard (EDIT: Some) really positive (And some REALLY negative) things about that other newish Brad film, Allied. It's directed by Zemeckis and co-stars the almost incomparably beautiful Marion Cotillard (seriously, she's wow).

This one:

Anyone seen this?
5209209701010101710181019 1020 102110221023103010701120 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth