Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Your Top 10 Great Movie Moments
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2014, 06:59 AM   #1
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking about my favourite film moments, and it struck me that I have fave moments that have an effect/impact one me, and fave moments have have entertained/baffled me. So to kick this off, I'm going to post my top 10 entertaining/baffling moments, and post up the more "serious" list later. Okey doke, so here goes:

!. Roller-skating ninjas giving chase to a bubble car in Godfrey Ho's "Ninja Thunderbolt"
2. The pipecleaner spiders during the library scene in Lucio Fulci's "The Beyond"
3. Ray Sager chopping his own head off at the beginning of HG Lewis' "The Wizard Of Gore"
4. The first, epic and drawn out mass gunfight/brawl in John Woo's "Hard Boiled".
5. The final 15-minute relentless rant by Margit Carstensen in Fassbinder's "The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant"
6. The female student protestor demanding that people sing "All You Need Is Marx" to the tune of "All You Need Is Love" in Jean-Luc Godard's rarely seen documentary "British Sounds".
7. The moment where Ron Haydock and Titus Moede transform themselves from run of the mill characters into bargain-basement superheroes in Ray Dennis Steckler's "Rat Pfink A Boo Boo" ("Fight crime!")
8. The bit where Marion Eaten's son ascends from the basement in Curt McDowell's "Thudercrack!"
9. Zombie bikers emerging from various graves in "Psychomania".
10. Phyllis MacMahon's wildly-diverging nun accent in general in Peter Sasdy's "I Don't Want To Be Born".

So there we go - let's be having your own lists then!
Old 01.12.2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
i was thinking a lot about my fav movie of all times last night.
here, the whole thing is my 1st list
and its a close to my heart list, not enlightening or entertaining kind of list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOSCFujkQM

but yeah, i ll think of a proper list to post.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2014, 11:11 AM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
How about top 10 movie sandwiches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlW_qYXpHLE
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2014, 11:34 AM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
pink flamingos - when they eat the cops - the asshole show @ party - "there are two kinds of people in the world-- my kind of people, and assholes" - the flasher gets flashed by a tranny - when the cat is away the mice will play - chicken fucking - divine stuffs a steak up her skirt - mr. eggman… too many great moments here

la dolce vita - anita ekberg in the fountain (cliche, i know, but still) - the flying jesus - when they are in the car and the girlfriend is stuffing his mouth with hardboiled eggs

81/2 - when marcello goes under the table - asa nisi masa -

death in venice - when the guy is dying of cholera at the beach and his makeup starts to run down his temples

the maltese falcon - (slap, slap) "you're going to take it! and you're going to like it!"

on the waterfront - "i could have been a contender! i could have been something! instead of a bum--which is what i am"

buffalo 66 - "spanning time… spanning time…"

there are too many to mention. i could write here for weeks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Buffalo 66 when he decides to buy her a cookie

Crispin Glover's bit in Dead Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hu21NmpPfE

This scene from Star Wars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixG8pfncOs

The bit at the end of Anvil when they come out on the stage in Japan

The bit in Visitor Q when the dude starts fucking his dead boss

This from The Exorcist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9ygpi8WHA

The jungle fight scene in Police Story 3

This scene from The Holy Mountain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuGlzA6-f8

The train scene from Spirited Away

The scene in Princess Mononoke when the boy enters the forest for the first time and sees all the spirits

In Sonatine when they're hanging out at the beach playing sumo

The scene in Seven Samurai where the guy who is the master swordsman is challenged to a duel and doesn't want to fight it but has to
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2014, 06:49 PM   #6
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
hmmmmm

in no order

1)visting the old guy in the hospital in Songs from the 2nd Floor. or maybe the crucifixes in the dump scene from there?

2)the war hero sequence in Satyricon

3) Caan at the tollbooth in Godfather

4)Barbara and her brother at the cemetery in Night of the Living Dead

5) Nicholson meets Polanski in Chinatown

6) the russians chase Gerald Butler thru the train tunnel in Rock N Rolla

7)the knights of nee in Holy Grail

8) meeting the bandits in Treasure of Sierra Madre

9) melding Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullmann in Persona

10) the spanish girl fighting back in the Hit
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Good Thread. It is nice to have the Melly back.

These are ten of my top movie moments, in no particular order, and subject to change at any time.

1. The first few minutes of Contact, when we are treated to a trip through the Universe
2. (TIE) Spock's death in Star Trek II/Khan's hate-filled last speech "from hell's heart I stab at thee..." in Star Trek II
3. the "Make 'em Laugh" number in Singing In The Rain
4. The last scene of Aguirre: Wrath of God, with Kinski and the monkeys on the raft...
5. Rutger Hauer's last speech in Bladerunner
6. Alec Baldwin's "coffee is for closers" speech in Glengarry Glenn Ross
7. The black lady woo-hoooing in a near-ecstacy state while trying to win the truck in Hands on A Hard Body
8. ANY SCENE with the two turkey hunters in VERNON, FLORIDA
9. The scene in Big Lebowski where Seymour-Hoffman is showing The Dude all of Big Lebowski's plaques and achievements
10. The "man, I've never taken that much acid before in my life man, I seen dudes in my neighborhood with heads "this" big, man..." in Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke
Old 01.14.2014, 11:48 AM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
(1) "Does he look like a bitch?" Pulp Fiction: This scene epitomizes the grit, rawness, and yet absolute hilarity of this flick. I think what makes Pulp Fiction such a great flick about street life is that is is sincerely funny. Gangsters, low-lifes, and street villains are usually some of the funniest people I've ever met, and hanging out with them is fucking funny shit. Pulp Fiction shows that.

(2) "Shit, they'll make me explain things.." Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

When Raul has to confront an acid soaked Dr Gonzo wielding a big fucking knife, asking him to throw the radio into the tub, I just love how cool and collected Raul is in his response. "Fuck you've gone completely sideways man." Seriously. If you've ever experienced somebody else's bad trip, you know this scene all too well. Its not the freaking out fat guy in the tub trying to kill himself that is the problem, its explaining things to the authorities. Isn't that always the hard part?

3) The ending of Fight Club.. As that terrifying Pixies riff opens up the panorama scene of the destruction of the LA skyline you wonder to yourself, what if this was real instead of just surreal?

4) The bank robbery in Heat. Yeah, I went there, but really, has anyone ever felt so right rooting for the bad guys? Just put that shit on full volume to scare the neighbors.

5) Scene in Terminator 2 where John Connor revs his dirt bike, stares his foster dad into the eyes and snarks, "She's not my mother Todd.." and rides off pulling a wheelie off the curb. Epic.

6) When Bill Duke tells kid in Menace II Society, "You know you fucked up right?" during the jail interview. It sums up life in general sometimes, and Bill Duke nailed it.

7) The ending of Blair Witch Project. That spooky ass house, all those hand prints, then the dude just standing in the corner? Shit still terrifies me, it was so damned unexpected.

8) In Twelve Monkeys whenever Brad Pitt's character is on-screen, especially flipping people off.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2014, 12:58 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Too many to mention but some that come to mind

Stagecoach: Ringo telling Dallas about his ranch
The Birds: The birds landing behind Tippi Hedren in the playground
Heat: The bank robbery shootout.
My Darling Clementine: Wyatt Earp and Clementine dancing at the church.
Johnny Guitar: Joan Crawford playing a piano when the posse arrive.
Singin' In the Rain: Gene Kelly singing the theme song.
La Dolce Vita: The children who've seen a miracle.
Apocalypse Now: The helicopter raid
Ferris Bueller's Day Off: At the art gallery.
Sunset Boulevard: Gloria Swanson's final scene.
My Little Chickadee: WC Fields telling the story about Chicago Molly

Could go on forever with this
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2014, 01:02 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Heat: The bank robbery shootout.
s

Whew! I'm glad you also put that, at first when I put it in my top-10 I felt a little weird like, "Would people even remotely think it a worthy best-of scene?" Thankfully I was right to go with my gut, I LOVE that scene. It and the chase scene in Ronin are probably some of Bobby D's best work!

Old 01.14.2014, 01:08 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
10. Phyllis MacMahon's wildly-diverging nun accent in general in Peter Sasdy's "I Don't Want To Be Born".

Ha ha. not to mention Ralph Bates's equally 'international' performance in the same film.
Old 01.14.2014, 01:18 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Whew! I'm glad you also put that, at first when I put it in my top-10 I felt a little weird like, "Would people even remotely think it a worthy best-of scene?" Thankfully I was right to go with my gut, I LOVE that scene. It and the chase scene in Ronin are probably some of Bobby D's best work!

It's amazing. The gold standard of shootouts. And yeah, needs to be up LOUD.

Completely agree about the "you fucked up' scene in Menace II Society. It's like the entire series of The Wire crystalised into 5 minutes.
Old 01.14.2014, 01:22 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's amazing. The gold standard of shootouts. And yeah, needs to be up LOUD.

Completely agree about the "you fucked up' scene in Menace II Society. It's like the entire series of The Wire crystalised into 5 minutes.

Exactly. We use that scene as a real-life meme whenever a homie does something stupid, "So you bought the bottle of beer at 12 o'clock.. so you bought the bottle of beer at 11:30? You know you fucked up right?"

Also, can you fucking believe that the great Bill Duke is fucking 70 years old!!

Old 01.14.2014, 02:43 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Amarcord: Teo climbing the tree and refusing to come down.

Definitely!
Old 01.18.2014, 06:59 AM   #15
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Many regrets for sure

Let the Right One In / Morse: the boy treating the vampire girl like shit, refusing to ask her to step in (can't help laughing whenever I see that, that's the baffling moment) and what happens after that... the swimming pool scene... well, the whole movie
The Big Lebowski: Jon Polito's answer to the Dude "the Knutsens", as you're not supposed to drop a name of someone supposed to be important that late in a movie
The Westerner: Gary Cooper offering a lock of Lily Langtree's hair to judge Roy Bean and the subsequent neck touch...
Unfaithfully Yours: Rex Harrison's puzzlement at studying a plan...
Johnny Guitar: the empty glass describing a circle, falling, being caught up by Hayden with a twist of the wrist... the lair of the so-called bad guys...
Mulholland Dr.: the scene the avatar I use comes from... a Naomi Watts close up when at the party, with the city lights, blurred, in the background...
Deep End: the scene at the Skol - Can's Mother Earth, the hot dogs, Jane Asher's cardboard figure, the rhythm maintained all through that scene...
The Manchurian Candidate: when Laurence Harvey finds himself in the past in one particularly elegant camera move; John Frankenheimer was a great great director (Seconds too)...
The Crazies: the very first sequence, prior to the opening credits; the rest of the movie ain't as good
Phantom of the Paradise: the quick succession of scenes leading to Winslow Leach's transformation into the Phantom

I tried to avoid the last scenes of some movies, that could have made a second list (maybe not that long).

I dig the Sonatine moment Toilet mentioned as time stops passing, and Alec Baldwin's speech in GGR too - he's facing top actors in that scene, would you think he'd be impressed? (Rob)
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
How could I forget this, Schwarzenegger as Hamlet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8
Old 01.18.2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtQMhnBtTw
Old 01.18.2014, 08:27 AM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
The Westerner: Gary Cooper offering a lock of Lily Langtree's hair to judge Roy Bean and the subsequent neck touch...

YES!
Old 01.18.2014, 08:40 AM   #19
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
(1) "Does he look like a bitch?" Pulp Fiction: This scene epitomizes the grit, rawness, and yet absolute hilarity of this flick. I think what makes Pulp Fiction such a great flick about street life is that is is sincerely funny. Gangsters, low-lifes, and street villains are usually some of the funniest people I've ever met, and hanging out with them is fucking funny shit. Pulp Fiction shows that.

(2) "Shit, they'll make me explain things.." Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

When Raul has to confront an acid soaked Dr Gonzo wielding a big fucking knife, asking him to throw the radio into the tub, I just love how cool and collected Raul is in his response. "Fuck you've gone completely sideways man." Seriously. If you've ever experienced somebody else's bad trip, you know this scene all too well. Its not the freaking out fat guy in the tub trying to kill himself that is the problem, its explaining things to the authorities. Isn't that always the hard part?

3) The ending of Fight Club.. As that terrifying Pixies riff opens up the panorama scene of the destruction of the LA skyline you wonder to yourself, what if this was real instead of just surreal?

4) The bank robbery in Heat. Yeah, I went there, but really, has anyone ever felt so right rooting for the bad guys? Just put that shit on full volume to scare the neighbors.

5) Scene in Terminator 2 where John Connor revs his dirt bike, stares his foster dad into the eyes and snarks, "She's not my mother Todd.." and rides off pulling a wheelie off the curb. Epic.

6) When Bill Duke tells kid in Menace II Society, "You know you fucked up right?" during the jail interview. It sums up life in general sometimes, and Bill Duke nailed it.

7) The ending of Blair Witch Project. That spooky ass house, all those hand prints, then the dude just standing in the corner? Shit still terrifies me, it was so damned unexpected.

8) In Twelve Monkeys whenever Brad Pitt's character is on-screen, especially flipping people off.

I scrolled through until i seen a mention of Terminator 2.
Old 01.18.2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Some of my favourite Mink Stole film scenes.

Connie Marble interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhpj-fL2Hso

Polyester hotel scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8P4JqyyPw

Serial Mum pussy willow scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Ql_GTDO7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1O9SbJ_Z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD88jrQ1Rd8

Desperate Living
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyMkgqY2FM

I'd marry her.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|