Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Your Parent's music taste
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.04.2006, 12:51 PM   #21
xpresswaytoyrskull
little trouble girl

xpresswaytoyrskull ain't too shabby
Moms got me interested in Pink Floyd & Neil Young
Dad turned me on to everything from Black Sabbath to Dead Kennedys.
xpresswaytoyrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:35 PM   #22
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
My dad has the first Fall record in his collection, but he cannot recall ever buying it or even who the Fall are.

I know hates ACDC, and is not a fan of heavy (especially hair) metal. He's interested in checking out Radiohead though.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:36 PM   #23
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
my dad like stevie ray vaughan, lynyrd skynyrd, the beatles, jimi hendrix, wilson pickett, johnny cash, jimmy donley the allman brothers, a ton of blues artists

my mom likes led zeppelin, motley crue, beastie boys, van halen, metallica and...that's all i can really think of right now. one time she went to a motley crue concert and begged me to go. but i strait up refused to because. 1. tickets were 50 fucking dollars 2. i hate that band
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:41 PM   #24
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
My dad listens to a lot of stuff. He has a ton of old blues records, BB King, John Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins. Beach Boys, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin. Man, I forget because he has so much stuff. REM. He steals my Cat Power CDs sometimes. He and I started a folk band a while back, and we've almost made an album.

My mom is more... meh. She'll get into anything except Gangsta Rap or any of this new 'RnB'. She was heavily into bands like Deep Purple and Rainbow when she was a teen. I know she loved Abba and the Bay City Rollers when she was younger as well. She's kinda lost any boundaries these days though. She get into anything. Oh, she hates Sonic Youth.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 02:07 PM   #25
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
My mom used to listen to a lot of beatles when I was a kid so I like em. Infact of her records the beatles are the only things of intrest. The rest are rod stewart n shit. She's also a big prince fan and like 70 soul/funk music like stevie wonder.

My step-dad once told me he'd get high and listen tot he wall.

my dad had a typical, but decent, record collection. The who, zep, rolling stones and pink floyd. Lot's of ther cool stuff like a few bowie records, some dylan, andthe first velvet underground record. He found in a du,pster without a sleeve and some paint on it, but it still plays nicely. And when I found it he started talking about lou reed so that's cool.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 07:36 PM   #26
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
my mom took me to my first concert, NIRVANA, when i was 12 years old. i rule.
Brett Robinson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 07:37 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
They like country. My dad used to like hair metal.

Idiots.
Old 07.04.2006, 08:24 PM   #28
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
mom-tom jones, any of the many divas

dad-jhonny cash...and thats it

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 08:28 PM   #29
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent, etc.
Mom- nothing

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 08:31 PM   #30
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
My mom is a big fan of Missy Elliot and the Doors.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 08:47 PM   #31
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent, etc.
Mom- nothing

Ha, i forgot my dad likes ted nugent too.

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 12:07 AM   #32
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Perry Como
Frank Sinatra
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 12:44 AM   #33
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
my parent's dont have taste...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 02:13 AM   #34
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent
2 rule the other well........
Old 07.05.2006, 08:44 AM   #35
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'm old enough to be Dad to most of you guys, if not Grandpa. My tastes in music are nothing like that of most other people my age. Most people my age are stuck in the 60s or 70s. Doors, Beatles, Dylan, at best. Billy Joel, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, among the worst. I'm probably the only 51 year old I know who listens not only to Sonic Youth but also stuff like Liars and No Neck Blues Band. I've just always been interested in exploring new music.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 08:54 AM   #36
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I think I'm old enough to be Dad to most of you guys, if not Grandpa. My tastes in music are nothing like that of most other people my age. Most people my age are stuck in the 60s or 70s. Doors, Beatles, Dylan, at best. Billy Joel, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, among the worst. I'm probably the only 51 year old I know who listens not only to Sonic Youth but also stuff like Liars and No Neck Blues Band. I've just always been interested in exploring new music.

Same goes for me (apart from the Grandpa bit). I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to what you listened to in your youth - priorities change so much as you get older. But I'm also constantly looking for new music and haven't lost my enthusiasm for it, even if I have a lot less time to explore & listen these days.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 08:58 AM   #37
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
though my parents do like some good stuff, bob dylan, rolling stones etc they also like some attrocious stuff like u2 and david gray. its awful having to get birthday and xmas presents when they tell me they want one of their cd's.

my mum is more open to my music though, she does like some sonic youth and realy liked the melvins. she did once flash jimi hendrix as well!
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 08:59 AM   #38
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Same goes for me (apart from the Grandpa bit). I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to what you listened to in your youth - priorities change so much as you get older. But I'm also constantly looking for new music and haven't lost my enthusiasm for it, even if I have a lot less time to explore & listen these days.

True. I still listen to a lot of the stuff I grew up with, especially the Stones, and stuff from the punk era, like Patti Smith, Ramones, Television, et cetera. The weird thing is, this "growing up" term. I feel like there was never an era where I wasn't "growing up"--even through the 80s, I felt like I was still mostly a kid, even though I was a married and more responsible kid. I've always felt young. I know that sounds inane, conceited, but I don't mean it that way. I just feel like I have always lived a little outside the "real" adult world in my tastes and opinions and attituded, habits, etc. So listening to stuff I "grew up" with, to me, includes a lot, even stuff like Sonic Youth and the Pixies and all that alternative 1980s rock stuff. I've only recently started to feel "old" when I realized there is a lot of underground/noise stuff that I have yet to get into.
Old 07.05.2006, 09:10 AM   #39
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
. I've only recently started to feel "old" when I realized there is a lot of underground/noise stuff that I have yet to get into.

I know what you mean. But again for me it comes down to time (& money!). I have a daughter and will have another child soon and there's no way I could afford to listen to more of the underground music there is around, and if I could afford it, I wouldn't have the time anyway.

But I completely agree with you about feeling removed from the adult world. I don't think that's about age though, but attitude. I bet most of the younger people on this forum feel the same way about their peers (maybe not?)

That's a good thing about places like this, you have to search further afield as you get older to share your interests, if most of your peers don't share them.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 09:30 AM   #40
gmku
invito al cielo

Definitely. For me now, as the kids are flying the coop, I find I have more time to listen to music again. Although not the money to get into everything I want to listen to, since we're now paying for college educations.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth