Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So, I just got the album of the year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2008, 11:01 AM   #61
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I just attempt to show people new music that people on here very likely wouldn't know about otherwise. Don't crucify me.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 12:02 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I just attempt to show people new music that people on here very likely wouldn't know about otherwise. Don't crucify me.

Two points.

First - you've never held back in your disdain for certain bands. I think all would agree that it really doesn't matter what some uppity pricks on a messageboard think.

Second - Check out Weather Report because I think you'll love them. Apologies if you're aware of this already, but it's a genuine recommendation. Even though I don't like this music I'm pretty confident you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 12:10 PM   #63
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Also, you have frequently lambasted the board in general for ignoring your recommendations and accused them of being brainwashed by Thurston Moore, where as the likelihood is that they just don't respond to most of your threads because they don't like the bands you recommend.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 12:34 PM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'll check out Weather Report.

And I don't frequently lambast the board, just certain people. If you're not included in those "certain people", then cool...... Whatever, if you don't like what I reccomend, cool, but at least I am reccomending something different. To me, that's a good thing.

Also, all of my threads do get responded to and most of the people do appreciate my kindliness and my reccomendations. Just sayin. It's not that I do this to get brownie points or for people to think i'm king of the SY board or some shit... I just genuinely care about having something different to talk about that we usually wouldn't talk about (500 Dinosaur Jr. threads is the kind of thing that makes me sick). That's all.

Old 04.22.2008, 12:43 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think the problem is more that if you're eternally throwing a million names at people, all of which are very similar, if you're not heavily into the alt-alt scene, people get alienated quite quickly. I'm using alt-alt very broadly and is, in effect, a bullshit term. Just so you know. But most of the music you recommend falls easily into some sort of sub-underground & modern category, for me.

If you are on this board in the hope that someone recommends some music back at you, I heartily recommend all of the following with both of my balls: Datblygu, Bhundu Boys, Konul Xosiyeva, Dragostina, Munir Bashir, Franco Luambo, Gottfried Michael Koenig, Siobhan Armstrong,

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.22.2008, 12:52 PM   #66
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha, I will surely but slowly check them out.

I check out everything people reccomend to me. In this day and age, it's quite easy to do. And I'm on a dialup modem most of the time!

Anyways..

The sweet wine of love is but a dream
And yet I yearn for more,
The pocket of the heart contains the key, (1st Verse)
Turns the Tavern door;
And more, and more

Come in, I hear a Voice from inside
Drink- wine; Love- divine: (Chorus)
Be blind; to yourself-

The drink of love she satisfies,
But the thirst He lingers on,
When first she drew me to her eyes, (2nd Verse)
The swallows sored in song
Won't be long, and she's gone

(Chorus)

She offered me with velvet hands
In movements soft and slow
A chalice cup with emeralds green (3rd Verse)
And silver-lined with snow
Look below- look below

(Chorus)

Come share this cup of wine with me,
And leave your cares behind:
Go hand your heart upon a tree (4th Verse)
And watch the moonbeams, shining in your eyes
In Your eyes

(Chorus)

Come close my love
Come close into my heart

Old 04.23.2008, 03:42 AM   #67
sarramkrop

I like atsonicpark regardless of the fact that I am one of those posters who continuously and repeatedly give him a hard time, on purpose. I very nearly disagree with almost everything that he writes, how he writes it, and also his snobbery of certain people he wrongly assumes haven't got knowledge or good taste in music.

What I like about him is that at least he tries, often fails, but sometimes wins. He is one of the more entertaining people on here. I have a feeling sometimes he should just relax, soak all the music in for himself and stop worrying too much about recommending every single record that he is into to others.

After all, if someone is really that keen on finding out good new music, they will do so no matter what someone on a messageboard has to say.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 11:32 AM   #68
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha, thanks... I think.

Well, the thing is, I listen to way more than I'd ever bother reccomending on here. I'd never reccomend SPASTIC INK, BABYLAND, or SPIRAL ARCHITECT to people on here.. I just don't see people being into it. I just try to .. I dunno .. it's the Sonic Youth board, it should be full of open minds and open tastes, and I try to influence that in some small way. Ah well.

Old 05.06.2008, 03:35 PM   #69
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Hey..

Weather Report rules!

Old 05.06.2008, 03:50 PM   #70
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the weather girls?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mWwyjmSbJPs
Old 05.06.2008, 04:09 PM   #71
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hey..

Weather Report rules!

I'm officially wearing my smug hat.

Quote:
Old 05.06.2008, 06:59 PM   #72
super_charger
bad moon rising

super_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's asses
I downloaded and listened to Surfin' USSR a few times. It's pretty good avant-folk very reminicent of Lars Hollmer or DAAU. I don't know about album of the year but I'll definately give it many more plays in the weeks to come.
super_charger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 07:52 PM   #74
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i would love to download and listen to all the stuff he reccomends, but i just dont have the time. when i download something i usually forget it after downloading it. plus, when i listen to something new i tend to just listen to that certain album. like right now i've been just listening to the new boris and the new no age over and over. i just don't feel like listening to anything else new or new to me.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 10:49 PM   #75
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
whoa, what the hell is wrong with people making traditional music of another country? what the fuck is wrong with making music youre interested in regardless of what fucking country its from? Ravel made a whole career out of "traveling to foreign countries through music".

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 02:19 AM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Some people find it "disrespectful"?

I think I may have made the point or was going to make the point that everyone is just playing music invented by people from other countries, but then I thought I shouldn't make that point, because someone will say it's a mockery to play TRADITIONAL music from other countries and blah blah blah. No reason to argue.

Everyneurotic, I will definitely check out mahavishnu orchestra -- never heard of 'em.

Old 05.07.2008, 02:49 AM   #77
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i dont like the MO. too much fusion which i am not a fan of...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 04:22 AM   #78
sarramkrop

Weather Report are an incredibly shit band. I mean, bad. That bad.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 09:53 AM   #79
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
check out inner mountain flame and birds of fire. afterwards they lost themselves in wankery.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 11:07 AM   #80
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
whoa, sonic, youve never heard mashavishnu? john mclaughlin? birds of fire is what you need to hear.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth