Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Grime and Crime.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.31.2007, 08:54 AM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think that that's fair enough. However, whilst most musicians will never be in a position to affect significant change on a political level, They are in a position to do something, however little, culturally. By choosing to reflect their communities in the way that some of them do seems to me to be a bit of a wasted opportunity on their behalf.

I think it's simply a case of living in a deeply troubled time: one that's suffering from a lack of any great leadership, be it governmental or cultural.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 09:07 AM   #22
sarramkrop

Absolutely. The only thing is that grime was born in gritty environments and for the most part it sounds exactly like it does because it's influenced by them and it draws life from them. There are exceptions, though.Take Dizzie Rascal, for example: his music is both a description of those environments but also tells you that something creative and positive can come out of them. Not all kids from the same community think alike.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 09:21 AM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It'll be interesting to see how far Dizzie Rascal can go. I get the feeling that he's not that popular with your average Grime fan anymore. He's in danger of becoming a bit of a Goldie/Roni Size in that respect.
Old 03.31.2007, 01:24 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It'll be interesting to see how far Dizzie Rascal can go. I get the feeling that he's not that popular with your average Grime fan anymore. He's in danger of becoming a bit of a Goldie/Roni Size in that respect.

Size is still well respected on the local scene - I would suggest that it's only people outside of the local scene that would bother to criticise him. Locally, he's a hero. I can only imagine the same being true for the heads of Hackney Wick and Ratchet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 01:56 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Roni Size still has massive respect in London's Jungle/D&B scene for his contribution to that scene, but there was a sense here that he took his foot off the gas a bit during the Reprezent period when it was Krust who began to emerge as the one doing the more interesting stuff. But don't get me wrong, Size is a total legend.
Old 03.31.2007, 02:41 PM   #26
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
this thread is very interesting
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 05:07 PM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I suppose I just get frustrated when artists happily take credit when they're being praised for what they do, but when they're criticised they just blame 'society'.

I'm just looking forward to the day when I get to hear this at an awards ceremony:

"And this year's winner for best Rap artist is ... SOCIETY!"
Old 04.01.2007, 07:26 AM   #28
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
OK, if a rap artist called Society emerges doing a track called, "Don't Blame Society (Praise Me)" (b/w "Sonic Youth Fans Don't Go Round Mugging People, Blud"), we all owe demonrail666 a beer.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth