Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2018, 10:24 AM   #22521
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
dirty rotten scoundrels

i was expecting some horrible 80s shit and sure there was some of that but this was actually funny, yeah

this was directed by yoda himself, frank oz

aka ms. piggy

wtf lololol

Yeah, this movie nearly made me piss my pants when I was little. I loved it. Haven’t seen it in forever, but it was a childhood favorite of mine.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2018, 09:40 AM   #22522
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, this movie nearly made me piss my pants when I was little. I loved it. Haven’t seen it in forever, but it was a childhood favorite of mine.
it’s on prime video if you feel like revisiting

anyway saw this shit also for the first time

indiana jones & the temple of doom

never been a fan of this series so this movie managed to elude me

it’s a bit shit of course, but one spielberg’s action sequences are well worth studying. the way he shoots + edits them is really priceless.

also the story the story is like a good carnival ride, sometimes literally (like in the mines). it’s classic desire vs. obstacle, but relentless, and to the point of laughter.

and yet for all the technical achievement and display of skill i did not give a shit. how come? don’t know. too obvious/exploitative maybe? something.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2018, 10:48 PM   #22523
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It had been some time and that movie is a lot of fun.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2018, 08:27 AM   #22524
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it’s on prime video if you feel like revisiting

anyway saw this shit also for the first time

indiana jones & the temple of doom

watched this in theater when it came out with dad and lil bro. I was 12. my lil bro and I walked out to play video games after the monkey brains scene. I couldn't handle it. soon after the MPAA created the PG-13 rating. it seems LOTS of 10-12 year olds couldn't handle the grossouts.
Old 05.16.2018, 08:59 AM   #22525
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
watched this in theater when it came out with dad and lil bro. I was 12. my lil bro and I walked out to play video games after the monkey brains scene. I couldn't handle it. soon after the MPAA created the PG-13 rating. it seems LOTS of 10-12 year olds couldn't handle the grossouts.
oh i didn’t know this about the pg13

i remember hearing about the “eye soup” and stuff like that but now that i saw it felt more like a funny tim burton flick, say, mars attacks

lucky the monkeys were not alive! cuz that.... gives me the willies just reading about it.
Old 05.16.2018, 11:14 AM   #22526
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I've got this Alien DVD box set for a long time of the first four movies (up until Alien Resurrection). Never watched it and I realised once again why: bought it in the US, stupid me, and yes I was warned not to do it but I was stubborn... So I can't play it on my DVD player on the big screen TV due to PAL vs NTSC
But now I'm watching it on the PC. There's two DVDs for each movie. First has the original and a special edition / director's cut version. And then an additional DVD with special features on how the movie was made. The special features for the first movie are very cool. Quite amazing to find out how all the special effects were done in a time when there were no PCs yet to do all that work.

I won't give any spoilers, but it's highly recommended if you're into these movies.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2018, 11:22 AM   #22527
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah the first alien was great and the effects were awesome. my favorite of the lot is the android head and the milky tubes. ha ha ha ha.

have you seen “jodorowski’s dune”? if you haven’t, there’s a big connection between that non-movie and alien.
Old 05.16.2018, 11:34 AM   #22528
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Quite amazing to find out how all the special effects were done in a time when there were no PCs yet to do all that work.

Alien special effects>Covenant special effects

I don't think it even occurs to filmmakers to use practical effects anymore. And for all I know, practical might even be cheaper than hiring a team to sit at computers all day.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2018, 12:40 PM   #22529
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

I don't think it even occurs to filmmakers to use practical effects anymore. And for all I know, practical might even be cheaper than hiring a team to sit at computers all day.

Not to beat a dead horse, but ...

Christopher Nolan is a champion of practical special effects. There’s literally no CGI in The Darin Knight. None. That hospital? THEY ACTUALLY BLEW UP A HOSPITAL. It was a one-shot deal. And what’s interesting is that Heath Ledger walks away form the building with this explosion happening right behind him, and he *doesn't look back.* There’s an alternate take that’s even longer than the one in the film, and he just walks away, gets on a bus, sits on the bus with an explosion happening outside the window, and still just stares directly ahead.
Most expensive, biggest shot of the film, and he missed it... for the role.

Also all the fighting and shit is real fighting and shit. None of this Black Panther nonsense where it might as well be a cartoon (and in five years will look like one). Real dudes in suits banging the hell out of each other. Better every time.

beat, beat, bitch

(Obviously Batman Begins has some CGI because of the hallucination sequences — the many, many hallucination sequences — but TDK is all real fuckin’ deal.

And yeah, Alien is and example of excellent practical effect use. Better than Covenant, I’m sure, and I haven’t even seen Covenenant.
Old 05.16.2018, 12:54 PM   #22530
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Not to beat a dead horse, but ...

Christopher Nolan is a champion of practical special effects. There’s literally no CGI in The Darin Knight. None. That hospital? THEY ACTUALLY BLEW UP A HOSPITAL. It was a one-shot deal. And what’s interesting is that Heath Ledger walks away form the building with this explosion happening right behind him, and he *doesn't look back.* There’s an alternate take that’s even longer than the one in the film, and he just walks away, gets on a bus, sits on the bus with an explosion happening outside the window, and still just stares directly ahead.
Most expensive, biggest shot of the film, and he missed it... for the role.

Also all the fighting and shit is real fighting and shit. None of this Black Panther nonsense where it might as well be a cartoon (and in five years will look like one). Real dudes in suits banging the hell out of each other. Better every time.

beat, beat, bitch

(Obviously Batman Begins has some CGI because of the hallucination sequences — the many, many hallucination sequences — but TDK is all real fuckin’ deal.

And yeah, Alien is and example of excellent practical effect use. Better than Covenant, I’m sure, and I haven’t even seen Covenenant.

It already does. If you compare some of the scenes from that film to hell, let's say the Matrix trilogy the standard has dropped badly. How a film made 15 years ago (jeez...) looks better in someways than a film released in 2017 is depressing.

Doesn't help that Marvel don't give a shit and are getting away with the bare minimum in technological advancement.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2018, 04:26 PM   #22531
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

Not sure if this is true. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but using practical materials probably does cost more than doing something on a computer in this day in age. I fully agree, if you can accomplish something practical, always go practical. But seeing as doing something practical requires access to supplies which costs money, as well as a team of crafters and artists who know how to makes those effects work well, and doing practical effects will most likely always have drawbacks, its essentially a job where something is going to fail 99 times before making it work right. The reason why someone would make a CGI xenomorph over a man in a suit or puppet is so the xenomorph can do movements that would be impossible it were just a man in costume or a puppet.
Old 05.16.2018, 07:29 PM   #22532
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
It already does. If you compare some of the scenes from that film to hell, let's say the Matrix trilogy the standard has dropped badly. How a film made 15 years ago (jeez...) looks better in someways than a film released in 2017 is depressing.

Doesn't help that Marvel don't give a shit and are getting away with the bare minimum in technological advancement.

Dark Knight was released 10 years ago and Alien was released roughly a million years ago (ok ok... maybe more like 40), so I'm not sure which 15-year-old film you’re talking about, but yeah.

OH, the Matrix.

Those effects looked dated within five years. That film had a mix of practical and super ... uhhhh... impractical... but yeah.

Or how about Crouching Tiger? Another 100-percent practical fx flick. Or house of flying daggers. Both look amazing to this day.
Old 05.17.2018, 07:44 AM   #22533
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Not sure if this is true.

Me either. And I'm probably wrong.

Not sure how many times they had to do the chest-bursting scene in ALIEN, but if they messed up once, they had to wash everything down and reset. Costly.

But there's also the issue of saving a few bucks now and having shitty effects in a film forever. That doesn't get factored in?

And the magic is gone with CG. I love those "How did they do that?" moments. Now, I just shrug and say "Computers." Yawn.

Those puppets in Gremlins were great! If they did a re-boot, they'd CG the monsters and it would suck and everyone knows it, but they'd do it anyway. Idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
The reason why someone would make a CGI xenomorph over a man in a suit or puppet is so the xenomorph can do movements that would be impossible it were just a man in costume or a puppet.

You're right, and I can think of a few things that would probably be impossible without CG. (Maybe. Although didn't Moses part the red sea back in the 50s?) I think limitations force creativity. Limits aren't always bad.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2018, 02:46 PM   #22534
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

I think the biggest loss of movies going almost 100% digital effects is that the skills that a Rick Baker and a Stan Winston won't be passed on to the next generation. And those methods and just plain ingenuity will be lost. Sure, there will be those that say those methods are out dated, and perhaps they are right, but as a fan of those guys and the art they made its still incredibly unfortunate.
Old 05.19.2018, 03:11 AM   #22535
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Office Space. I didn't enjoy it much this time around.
Old 05.19.2018, 04:33 AM   #22536
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've no problem with CGI when it's used for things that couldn't be achieved any other way. T2 springs to mind, with its liquid effects, or for something truly spectacular that could theoretically be done by other means but would be too complex or expensive to be really viable.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2018, 08:34 AM   #22537
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty bunny
Office Space. I didn't enjoy it much this time around.

Check out the tv show “Corporate” for an update on that humor. It’s great
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2018, 03:09 PM   #22538
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

watched mel brooks’s “life stinks” which is a very 80s comedy reminiscent of eddie murphy’s “trading places”. nothing to write home about except for the political archaeology— this is from a time when reagan dumped the schizophrenics into the streets and the homeless were not as invisible as today (they are still there, but people have stopped giving a shit.)

ok i’ll post the others later. the other ones ere better as movies, not just for the archaeology/anthropology, but they have that too...
Old 05.20.2018, 03:50 PM   #22539
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
The Ardennes. Not bad...
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2018, 12:22 AM   #22540
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Check out the tv show “Corporate” for an update on that humor. It’s great

I will check it out.
627102710771117112411251126 1127 112811291130113711771227 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth