Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2010, 06:16 AM   #12261
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson

My first Antonioni. Beautiful film, I love the colours and the way they're used. And the soundtrack is just mindblowing, some kind of early Cluster-like industrial/electronic/noisy kind of music that does so much for the mood. Other than that, it didn't do much for me. I didn't really care about the story. Beautiful and well played, but not particularly interesting.

Sorry for just now replying to this, but this is in my top 50 films ever. At the same time, it's hard to reccomend, precisely for the reasons you layed out... it's hard to explain why I connect with it... "A film you can explain in words is not a successful film." - M. Antonioni... haha, great quote.. but it sums up this movie... it's one of those films that really haunted me for weeks. It's a very confounding movie experience, unlike any I've ever seen before. Just something about this one...

One of my favorite Antonionis -- and a surprisingly good starting place, though most will tell you otherwise -- is IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 02:31 PM   #12262
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Sorry for just now replying to this, but this is in my top 50 films ever.

I'd like to see this top 50 list you keep talking about. I think we share quite some favorite movies, even if Red Desert isn't one of them. But yes, it's something with it. I thought a bit about the movie earlier today actually, it's still there in my head even though it didn't do that much for me at the time when I watched it. I'll probably watch it again.

I'll check Identification of a Woman out!
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 03:08 PM   #12263
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Adam, you change your top 50 all the time! One definitive list please.

Haha, no, I'm kidding. I've always kinda liked that you change your mind so much since it shows you take in new movies all the time and always find something you connect to. Plus I wish I had the patience to watch as many movies as you, I handle one or two a week maybe. When it comes down to it I think "2 hours of watching a movie... eh, I'll just read a book" or something in that vein.

Saying that, the movies I watch I tend to like A LOT. Watched Godard's La Chinoise and A Bout De Souffle recently which I thought were both fantastic.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 03:35 PM   #12264
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I went and saw Inception again yesterday because my son hadn't seen yet and frankly it looked like the best movie out there. Didn't disappoint the second time either as the 2 1/2 hours went by like nothing again. I did pick up on Screaming Skull's idea this time around which I missed the first time.
Old 09.07.2010, 04:24 PM   #12265
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
I'd like to see this top 50 list you keep talking about. I think we share quite some favorite movies, even if Red Desert isn't one of them.

Sure!

50. back against the wall (james fotopoulos)
49. once upon a time in the west (sergio leone)
48. taste of tea (katsuhito ishii)
47. glen or glenda? (ed woo)
46. freddy got fingered (tom green)
45. daisies (vera chytilová)
44. performance (roeg/cammel)
43. koyannisqatsi (godfrey reggio)
42. liquid sky (slava tsukerman)
41. ariel (aki kaurismaki)
40. chungking express (wong kar wai)
39. a clockwork orange (stanley kubrick)
38. ten (abbas kiarostami/)
37. brain damage (frank henenlotter)
36. death powder (shigeru izumiy)
35. stroszek (werner herzog)
34. satantango (bela tarr)
33. maboroshi (hirokazu koreeda)
32. chelsea girls (paul morrissey/andy warhol)
31. killing of a chinese bookie (john cassavettes)
30. the red desert (michaelangelo antonioni)
29. slow motion (aka every man for himself) (jean luc godard)
28. torso (sergio martino)
27. to live and die in la (william friedkin)
26. reflections of evil (damon packard)
25. out of the blue (dennis hopper)
24. the deer hunter (michael cimino)
23. end of evangelion (hideaki anno)
22. bad lieutenant (abel ferrara)
21. the bed you sleep in (jon jost)
20. maniac (william lustig)
19. videodrome (david cronenberg)
18. love is colder than death (rainer werner fassbinder)
17. cafe lumiere (hsiao-hsien hou)
16. touch me in the morning (giuseppe andrews)
15. august in the water (sogo ishii)
14. tokyo fist (shinya tsukamoto)
13. the killer (john woo)
12. funeral procession of roses (toshio matsumoto)
11. persona (ingmar bergman)
10. holy mountain (alejandro jodorowsky)
9. possession (andrzej zulawski)
8. blow out (brian depalma)
7. pierrot le fou (jean luc godard)
6. pastoral: to die in the country (shuji terayama)
5. branded to kill (seijin suzuki)
4. eureka (shinji aoyama)
3. hana-bi (takeshi kitano)
2. el topo (alejandro jodorowsky)
1. taxi driver (martin scorcese)

for right now.

Quote:
But yes, it's something with it. I thought a bit about the movie earlier today actually, it's still there in my head even though it didn't do that much for me at the time when I watched it. I'll probably watch it again.

Well -- and it's hard to find the proper wording for this -- but I usually "get" movies pretty quickly, uhh... if you know what I mean. Like, I can usually tell what the director is going for -- and, don't get me wrong, lots of people can, with most films -- what themes and ideas he's exploring and so on. Right? Well, with the Red Desert, on first watch, I felt, like... NOTHING. It just seemed so abstract. Colorful, pretty as hell, and wonderful musically... but just so abstract, to the point where I just didn't understand what the fuck I was watching, and it was over, and that was that, right?

But like I said, I continued to think about it, because the toxic, overwhelming, dystopian landscapes of the film are unlike any I've ever seen; just an amazing atmosphere. But, really, simplifying it a bit, but to me, the film is actually all about color (hell, it has a color in the title); it was Antonioni's first color film, and he clearly went through a lot of trouble painting the grass (!), painting streets, color-coordinating certain scenes, whatever. I guess I always liked it on that conceptual, visual level from the beginning anyway, but after watching the film again, I began to see why the colors were used -- in my mind, at least -- and what the film was really trying to say. By the 3rd watch, I considered it one of the best movies ever made. And to me, it's like a difficult album you learn to love later; so many albums I hear are obvious and predictable -- that doesn't mean the songs are bad, it just means that it's easy to consume and probably easy to forget. Or, even if it's easy to love, perhaps it won't stick with you later -- you take it for granted.

I found Red Desert a hard film to love, initially, but it just wouldn't go away. It wouldn't leave me. And now I can put up with any perceived flaws I had with it. It is a bit wandering- and aimless-seeming, but to me, that cold, flat, monotone style contrasts strangely and beautifully with the colorful world. And then the music ALSO clashes... very interesting contrasts... and I kept thinking how this is one of the most overwhelming films I've ever seen, there's just so much to take in; even when it doesn't appear to be doing "anything", conventionally, it's throwing 3 clashing things at you, aesthetically. I really love how a lot of the film is blurry, also (the main character is never blurred, but objects around her are often out of focus). To me, it all comes together beautifully....

But yeah, the problems you had with it, I definitely had with it initially; I think it does help to watch a few more Antonioni films, because he really has such a unique style, and I think it's easier to appreciate something like the Red Desert once you see some more of his films. He's one of my all time favorite directors, and at times, I'm not sure why -- it's not something I can put into words -- and that's the point. Well, sorta.

Old 09.07.2010, 06:12 PM   #12266
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 07:07 PM   #12267
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

just my luck - 7/10

diary of a shijuku thief - 9/10

Old 09.07.2010, 09:45 PM   #12268
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Started Kurosawa's Ran last night, I got 19mins through it and decided I probably wasn't going to say awake for 2 hours and 42 minutes. Watching it tonight. Looks very intriguing.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 10:45 PM   #12269
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

5/10
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2010, 05:38 AM   #12270
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.
A film i'm itching to see is Wakamatsu's Caterpillar.

Same here, I also would like to see Prisoner / Terrorist by Masao Adachi. It's on Asiatorrents, but there's no subs and I my japanese skills are nonexistent.
Old 09.08.2010, 06:47 AM   #12271
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyway heard of THIS:
https://buy.tromamovies.com/product_...elluh3979m5tb3

Obsession: Letters To David Lynch [Digital Download]
[TR-DD-OB] $1.99

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Dennis Woodruff is David Lynch’s biggest fan. He watched Inland Empire 32 times this week. After hearing that Lynch is casting for a new project, Woodruff seeks out his hero in order to personally introduce himself and land a role in the next movie. Astrology tells Woodruff that the planets have aligned for their meeting. Destiny says that it is meant to be, but no one told him that his search for his hero will take him through the darkest depths of obsession in sunny California.

..the fuck?!

Old 09.08.2010, 07:18 AM   #12272
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeast - 7/10

A bunch of women fighting. Truly disturbing!

Old 09.08.2010, 07:30 AM   #12273
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
@atsonicpark: I'm surprised you liked Just My Luck so much. It is actually about a 7 I guess. A lot of people overlooked that one.

I think I've seen all of LL's movies except Parent Trap, cuz who cares?

BTW -- did you see Machete yet???
Old 09.08.2010, 08:59 AM   #12274
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

saw this last night. laughed a whole lot. silly movie, but it was very neat how it touched on the old Cusack teen flicks, like better off dead and stuff. 8/10
Old 09.08.2010, 09:10 AM   #12275
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
^Crispin Glover's scenes were amazing!
Old 09.08.2010, 09:25 AM   #12276
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
crispin was fucking hilarious in it.
Old 09.08.2010, 09:38 AM   #12277
noisereductions
invito al cielo

the ice sculputure scene had me in tears
Old 09.08.2010, 01:59 PM   #12278
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses

7/10
The sort of slow burning, atmospheric, european art house flix in the guise of a spy thriller that angers the Instigator... but as a fan of pretentious film and the technique that goes into them, I enjoyed it.
I'm also a bit of a fan of Clooney's work... and this movie only made mel ike him more
Old 09.08.2010, 02:32 PM   #12279
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ha! I wanna go watch it though, or at least rent it when it hits DVD.
Old 09.08.2010, 03:02 PM   #12280
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux

7/10
The sort of slow burning, atmospheric, european art house flix in the guise of a spy thriller that angers the Instigator... but as a fan of pretentious film and the technique that goes into them, I enjoyed it.
I'm also a bit of a fan of Clooney's work... and this movie only made mel ike him more

The way you describe it makes it look similar to The Limits of Control... Is it similar ?

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
514564604611612613 614 6156166176246647141114 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth