Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.24.2007, 04:34 AM   #221
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s6UJAo6rYY
Old 09.24.2007, 08:27 AM   #222
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
live at ken's electric lake

no neck blues band
live at ken's electric lake
locust98
CD
2007-09-18

Nearly ten years of swimming up stream through the sonic flotsam & jetsam, the folks have gotten freaky , noise is the 'new noise', the chin scratchers have joined the metal circus and the No Neck Blues Band remain as relevant today as ever. Their indoor /outdoor audio assaults in upper & lower Manhattan are the stuff of legend but on 1998s Meets the Clear People with Mystery Gypped: Live at Ken's Electric Lake the band took a distinct turn, crossed the Canadian border, hooked up w/ some Sunburned folks and made a sudden diaspora to a rural retreat in the country for a full day's session of acid-head tribal percussion clatter that is utterly different than anything the band had put on the public record up to that time.

Looser, groovier & more in that communal state of mind than ever, NNCK's long out of print fifth release from 1998 is a classic testament to the urban dwellers' gone wild & ranks as among their finest displays of tribal churn and choogle in the band's 14 year history. Neo dada attacks were swapped out for psychedelic vibrations, midrange mystery for outdoor atmospherics. Ken's is a peak communal moment for New York's most enigmatic, longest running experimental collective.
this 2 cd set is fully remastered from the original source tapes, features new track IDs for easy, convenient armchair roaming and comes packaged in a stunning 'japanese style' gatefold tip on cd jacket.

http://www.locustmusic.com/index.php?option=com_albums&task=view&cid=96&cid2= 84&Itemid=6

I have this orginal LP... which i bought from Kevin Drumm on eBay like 5 or so years ago. good stuff.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 12:21 PM   #223
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I have the LP so I don't think I'll get the cd. Not yet anyway. It is a top LP though...one of the best of the early-ish stuff I think.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 02:43 PM   #224
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Having now heard Sticks and Stones..., I'm now a bit more inclined to being charitable towards them, it was excellent music for driving at night, but I still say that there is a very very large element of pretentiousness in their make-up which will stop me from ever loving them.

sticks and stones is what got me really into them i listened to that non stop for days and i will always love that album.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 08:33 PM   #225
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i don't understand how you can see them as being pretentious, i really don't
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 06:11 PM   #226
magneticseal
empty page

magneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Yeah, I have the LP so I don't think I'll get the cd. Not yet anyway. It is a top LP though...one of the best of the early-ish stuff I think.
i have the lp from back in the day and couldn't help scoring the cd anyway. the packaging is really ace and the sound quality is way improved. i don't know the packaging lingo but basically for those who have th lp, the cd jacket is like a mini lp version on that same really heavy stock. locust did a bang up job on this one. i think it is a real hallmark release for them. it's cool that some of their catalog is getting reframed while they're still active and developing. to me, the biggest distinction with the 'ken's' cd is that it showcases a purity that doesn't always come through. anyway, i forgot just how much i loved this record until throwing the cd on.

marcus
magneticseal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 07:57 PM   #227
sarramkrop

I still don't see what the fuss about this band is. Their records are ok at the very least, and yes, I haven't seen them live, but isn't a band meant to be the shit because both their records and their live outings are awesome? I think it is, but I might be too demanding in that department. NNCK aren't that particularly good at all, argue about it all you like.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 12:03 PM   #228
magneticseal
empty page

magneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's assesmagneticseal kicks all y'all's asses
what albums have you listened to? I agree that they are amazing live. always unpredictable but there releases were really excting for me to obtain. there' a lot to the total package so if you've just been downloading the music, the experience is incomplete. i used to spend loads of time trying to get a handle on their strange hieroglyphics and weird adaptation of grafitti style art.
marcus
magneticseal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 12:55 PM   #229
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
there's an interview with dave nuss about way of the cross here
http://www.vpro.nl/programma/dwars/a...ngen/36097016/
(second link)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 02:45 PM   #230
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i don't understand how you can see them as being pretentious, i really don't

Really? Isn't the ostentatious live show, the absurd self-created mystique, the ridiculous theatric that Michiko in particular follows enough? I mean, they're still amazing, but I completely understand why Mr L in particular thought they were pretentious. They ARE pretentious, I just happen to enjoy their pretentiousness more than anyone else doing the round at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2007, 10:44 AM   #231
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure how you are defining pretentious - you accuse them of vanity or you have a problem with their ambitiousness?

anyone seeing them this week in NY?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2007, 07:17 AM   #232
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I'm not sure how you are defining pretentious - you accuse them of vanity or you have a problem with their ambitiousness?

anyone seeing them this week in NY?

I don't have any problems with them, I do happen to think, short of Haino, they're the best live band doing the rounds at the moment. Aaaaaaaand I'm still drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2007, 08:38 PM   #233
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've not seen them live yet but even so, they're probably the only 'alternative' band I can think of at the moment that genuinely excite me. Maybe it's because they sort of remind me of a really early Amon Duul (who I also love) and, let's face it, you don't often get to say that about a band these days.

As for the pretentious thing, yeah, they are. But then this is a board dedicated to Sonic Youth, who aren't exactly Slade, are they?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 01:30 PM   #234
coolchip
empty page

coolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's asses
Just saw nnck last night here in New York. Really reinforced why I liked them in the first place. They are one of the weirdest and most psychedelic noise bands I've ever seen. When their collective genius at jam-logic is channelled into total collage mode the results are staggering and awesome. A really great sounding band that shifts through various dimmensions effortlessly. They sound unlike any other band, and there is no other band that can do what they do when they are on top of their game.
coolchip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 08:05 PM   #235
sarramkrop

They still are not all that, and by that I mean all that weird. They don't sound that shocking at all, but they have some cool moments. Funnily enough, I loved them big time by hearing the live stuff that Nefeli sent me, and by also watching some great youtube clips. Greatest band? Yawn. Yawn.Yawn.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 05:57 AM   #236
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Well 'greatest' is a silly way to describe any band, obviously. They're not revolutionising music. In the big scheme of things they aren't that significant. But when it comes to kicking back, I can think of few better soundtracks. I also like their fusion of mysticism with a kind of anarcho-collective spirit. This too isn't new (Amon Duul, Hawkwind, etc) but I can live with that.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 05:02 PM   #237
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchip
Just saw nnck last night here in New York. .

You saw the Midway show? Out of curiousity, did it start on time?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2008, 09:31 AM   #238
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
semi-liar
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 12:27 AM   #239
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
quoth wikipedia:

Quote:
The band is currently at work on their first full studio engineered recording to see release in 2008 on Chicago's Locust Music
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:09 AM   #240
threelobed
bad moon rising

threelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's asses
praise NNCK!
threelobed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
91011 12 131415 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth