Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page KoRn working on new "Soundgarden influenced album"...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.25.2011, 08:16 PM   #21
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
KoRn rule. Such a unique band. They really lost it after Head left, but they're a pretty weird little group, especially for one that got so goddamn popular.

Ugly-ass riffs, battling bizarre guitar sounds, bagpipes, blues scat (err... sorta), the most detuned slap bass I've ever heard in my life, dancy hip-hop drum beats, and a singer who's favorite bands are Duran Duran and Cannibal Corpse. I love 'em.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2011, 09:17 PM   #22
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. I am just amazed at how badly those bands hold up -- yeah, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden have always been boring, even 20 years ago, but NOW, they sound so dated, uninspired, downright sluggish and bland that it's ridiculous.

Even Nirvana's worst moments -- rape me, heart-haped box -- usually had SOMETHING interesting (like, I think HEART-SHAPED is boring as hell but for a big mainstream popular rock hit, it sure does sound damn ugly and "wrong" at times, doesn't it? That's kinda neat at least).

It's just insane to me that with the advances of musical technology and "wow, awezome FX dood!" and badass guitars and computers that write melodies for us, bands like BIG BLACK, MINUTEMEN, NAKED RAYGUN, CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, etc still sound timeless and awesome. While newer bands are getting worse and worse. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden not only suck, they've inspired a whole mountain of suck.

As for KoRn, the guitar playing on Life is Peachy and s/t is inventive and a lot more interesting than most bands. The riffs in "Good God" are downright ugly and weird, and they're one of the most popular bands ever! Of all time! I guess when they say "Soundgarden-influenced", they mean "we only have one guitarist now so we can't have him trading those weird ass noises from speaker to speaker, so let's tune him to Drop-D, instead of Drop-C for this album and have him play some 'grungey riffz' instead of just the one-finger mud-sharp riffs he's been playing for the past 20 years."

Not that it really matters, but you clearly don't realize how old the 'Garden is.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth