Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.13.2012, 09:26 AM   #1881
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Not seeing the game, you're obviously better placed than me to talk about how Ireland played. I do still think they have big problems, though, regardless of the strength of their opposition.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2012, 09:33 AM   #1882
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Not seeing the game, you're obviously better placed than me to talk about how Ireland played. I do still think they have big problems, though, regardless of the strength of their opposition.

Well you actually know them better cuz you see them play more often. I don't know any of their players really-- one supposedly plays for teh LA Galaxy but I don't watch the MLS cuz it sucks (ha ha). Probably they can do better than they did yesterday. Maybe they have the potential to be much greater, I don't know. But damn. Spain did kick their asses 4-0 in the Euros too. But you gotta see Reus-- I mean you saw him play for Dortmund vs. Man City-- can you imagine him against a much lesser defense? Ouch....

ps- just read that Ireland had 6 injured starters. have mercy.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2012, 09:49 AM   #1883
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think anyone expects Ireland to be world beaters. A lot of the criticism stems from their poor showing at the Euros, where they were accused of just being happy to be there and not putting up much of a fight.

I see Germany as Europe's greatest challenge to Spain's current dominance and given that players like Xavi are coming to the end of their career and the relative youth of players like Kroos, Reus and Ozil, I think the next World Cup could see them finally start to eclipse Spain. I'm intrigued to see how Argentina are doing post Maradona's spell as coach. On paper they're awesome: Aguero, Tevez, Messi but they always seem in the shadow of Brazil - who I'm convinced will choke under the pressure of hosting the tournament. I really think this World Cup will be the most fascinating in years. I'm getting in early and predicting a Germany win, even though I'd love it to be Argentina.
Old 10.13.2012, 10:01 AM   #1884
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, tevez? he is out. sabella doesn't want him. messi/aguero/dimaria did kick ass yesterday. argentina had some problems in teh defense and wasn't really gelling as a team in the first half but then lugano had to come out and through that hole in the uruguayan defense the goals came-- and came-- and came. messi was fucking awesome!

see here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xua...-10-2012_sport

that doesn't even show a play by messi where he dribbled alone and put the ball in the goalpost.... damn damnd amn

--

historically a european team has never won a world cup in latin america but statistics are bullshit. still if i had to pick a winner i'd say argentina has teh best chances provided they don't have a cokehead coach.

argentina-germany final??

---

ps- watch here on 0:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW3VIIsiBls

!!!
Old 10.13.2012, 10:30 AM   #1885
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The build up for Aguero's goal was awesome, and the fact they can leave Tevez out and still look that good shows their strength going forward. But yeah, their defence may end up being their achilles heel. I really want Argentina to win the WC though, if only because it'll finally put to bed any doubts about Messi's place alongside the game's all time greats - not that I think there should be any doubts about that, regardless of how Argentina do. Puskas never won a world cup, nor did Di Stefano or Cruyff and I don't think many people would question their place in that top pantheon. Like Dan Marino never winning a Superbowl. It'd definitely be the icing on the cake, though.
Old 10.13.2012, 10:56 AM   #1886
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Beautiful! A bit like great players who never win the ultimate prize, there's something great about those plays that never quite produce a goal: the greatest goal that never was.
Old 10.13.2012, 11:04 AM   #1887
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Beautiful! A bit like great players who never win the ultimate prize, there's something great about those plays that never quite produce a goal: the greatest goal that never was.

daaaamn

there is some resemblance to this isn't it? same angle & all-- just better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZU2EGD4Pg

(that's from yesterday)
Old 10.13.2012, 11:12 AM   #1888
demonrail666
invito al cielo

That's awesome but it's Pele's dummy which, at the time must've seemed like something from another planet. Had it gone in it would've surely been a contender for the greatest goal of all time.

And while we're talking goals from impossible angles ...!!!!!

And for the sheer hell of it, probably the three greatest goals I've seen in my lifetime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

But the winner has to be ...

3:55

Eat that Christiano
Old 10.13.2012, 06:56 PM   #1889
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Get out, you are henceforth barred from this thread

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2012, 08:44 PM   #1890
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Did you go to see Hamworth in the end. It started raining so I ended up staying at home. So much for good intentions.
Old 10.13.2012, 10:12 PM   #1891
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Did you go to see Hamworth in the end. It started raining so I ended up staying at home. So much for good intentions.

Yeah i did, it chucked it down at about 3 but they have a little shed stand so we were out of the rain. Hanworth's left back went to school with my friend so that was quite fun to see. Hanworth won 2-0, Wembley looked like they hadnt been coached at all, ironically, given the Budweiser money.

Its a nice afternoon out, costs less than getting two pints in the average pub, and youre supporting the grass roots of the sport you love. We'll be going back i think.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2012, 05:53 AM   #1892
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's awesome but it's Pele's dummy which, at the time must've seemed like something from another planet. Had it gone in it would've surely been a contender for the greatest goal of all time.

The only thing Pele needs to do with a dummy is to stop spitting it out whenever asked about Ronaldo and Messi being the greatest. Talk about refusing to acknowledge their individual brilliance!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2012, 05:53 AM   #1893
demonrail666
invito al cielo

^Ikari. Excellent! I'll definitely start going to see either Tooting and Mitcham (which is now more local to me than any East London side) or Bethnal Green when I'm over that way. Although I bailed out yesterday I think the important thing is to keep the interest going. It'd be a shame if people treated it as just a one day wonder.
Old 10.14.2012, 05:55 AM   #1894
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
The only thing Pele needs to do with a dummy is to stop spitting it out whenever asked about Ronaldo and Messi being the greatest. Talk about refusing to acknowledge their individual brilliance!

Yeah, he's definitely become a bit of a prat in his old age.
Old 10.14.2012, 07:22 AM   #1895
Trama
stalker

Trama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Wow that brings back memories. He was at his prime then. And Robson, what a legend.

It's also quite funny to see Mourinho jumping around in a Barça jumper. Times have changed.
Trama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2012, 07:28 AM   #1896
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I read an interview with Robson once, where he was talking about that goal and his head in his hands reaction to it. He was saying he was in total disbelief, that he'd never seen anything like it. The point at the beginning when he's pulled back but still keeps going, like a force of nature. There may prove to be better players and certainly ones with greater longevity but as a pure striker I don't think many, if any, can compare with Ronaldo at that point in his career.

the one at 3:02 isn't too shabby either. If ever a player defined unstoppable it's R9.
Old 10.14.2012, 09:39 AM   #1897
Trama
stalker

Trama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's asses
His knee wasn't, though. I've read Fernando Couto describe that play: "I'll never forget that sound, his knee bursting... "

Very very hard not to love him, in some ways quite the antithesis of the other Ronaldo. And he was, I was a kid and I remember it, everyone absolutely idolatrized him.

idolatrized, is that a word? do I sound like Villas Boas?

That whole Barcelona team was great. Figo, Rivaldo, Guardiola...
Trama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2012, 10:50 AM   #1898
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

And while we're talking goals from impossible angles ...!!!!!

And for the sheer hell of it, probably the three greatest goals I've seen in my lifetime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

But the winner has to be ...

3:55

Eat that Christiano

oh man! the Real Ronaldo! bravo!

i know this doesn't compare, but this is part of what happened to ireland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka6oz2ReFiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

funny! but wrong thread...

============

since there are no games on tv today (just repeats i've already watched) and i'm very very far from any decent local match i'm watching BEING LIVERPOOL which i had caught in bits but i'm finally taking in a whole episode and it's pretty cool. any of yoUSE seen it?
Old 10.14.2012, 11:35 AM   #1899
demonrail666
invito al cielo

No, I've not seen Being Liverpool but it's been crucified by the press in the UK. I really want to watch it. There should be a way of downloading it so I'll have a look.

And yeah, it's hard passing judgement on a team (Ireland) when they're up against a side (Germany) that look capable of embarrassing almost any opposition. Fairer to assess them against more equal opponent's, I suppose.

And yeah again. I sent that Ronaldo compilation to a mate of mine who's a massive CRonaldo fan. I'm still waiting for his reply. He probably won't send one. He probably won't even watch it. Ignorance is bliss, etc.
Old 10.14.2012, 12:09 PM   #1900
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah It's just brilliant. So many cringe worthy things. Seeing Brendan "I love my boys" Rogers being strangely touchy feely to his squad. Seeing the optimism of the side whilst they're touring America then the CRUSHING reality hit when they play West Brom and lose 3-0.

Every player in the must've watched that and checked how NOT to do it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
85929394 95 969798105145195595 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth