Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page how do you feel about The Eternal as a "final album"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2012, 03:15 PM   #41
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
SUCH: As usual, your enthusiasm is charming (which is why we all love you) but unconvincing.

And for the record: no one WANTS to dislike Eternal. I'm sure we'd all be happy if it had been the greatest thing SY ever made. But I think the general verdict says it's simply not.

But you are right about how the songs improved live. Then again, a fantastic boot I have features Tom Violence, a DDN song or two, and a big chunk of Sister. Those songs, even after 10,000 listens, are still mind-blowing. The Eternal stuff is merely better than the studio recordings. And that's the way it is.

I wasn't trying to acclaim The Eternal as anything near the best ever, more like, a great way to end things by incorporating a bit of everything from every album. A lot of bands begin to sound like a cliche of themselves when they revisit their past styles like this, or worse, the milk it forever as if they were Aerosmith. Sonic Youth evolved perfectly over three decades, and yet also never abandoned their "sound" even as it changed with them.

For the record, I didn't like the Eternal AT ALL for like the first year after it came out, but then I really listened to it..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2012, 03:24 PM   #42
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
That is a cop out, like when all a professor writes is "Nice job" on a huge research paper, when all you really wanted was for him to go for the jugular with his red pen

You sound really patronising there, Suchfriends. First because you are making the sort of sweeping generalisation that groups all disciplines with the same critical analysis, and second because on your previous post you seem to suggest that artistically there is a set deal of feelings to follow if you want to "get" a band. Don't take it the wrong way, but unless you (yous) have enough evidence to pluralise your opinions on the motivations for an artist to continue creating, you should just keep quiet.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
noisecore
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2012, 04:06 PM   #44
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
Old 06.26.2012, 04:07 PM   #45
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
it was supposed to be only one .
Old 06.26.2012, 05:08 PM   #46
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You sound really patronising there, Suchfriends. First because you are making the sort of sweeping generalisation that groups all disciplines with the same critical analysis, and second because on your previous post you seem to suggest that artistically there is a set deal of feelings to follow if you want to "get" a band. Don't take it the wrong way, but unless you (yous) have enough evidence to pluralise your opinions on the motivations for an artist to continue creating, you should just keep quiet.

This is a forum, I am not writing the Eulogy at Sonic Youth's funeral, just expressing my opinions. If you are too pussy to express yours, at least be brave enough to refrain from needlessly hostile criticism against those who feel open enough to share their own. Then again..

Old 06.26.2012, 05:23 PM   #47
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I did express my feelings earlier on the same thread. Honestly, this is no conspiracy to make you look a bit stupid.

never assumed their was, I was just playing with you silly

Old 06.26.2012, 06:58 PM   #48
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Any album being their last is tough to accept, but if The Eternal is it, I think it's a solid way to go out. Leaves me much more satisfied than Rather Ripped would have.
Old 06.26.2012, 07:57 PM   #49
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
My experience is that youīre not approved on SY board if you like both Rather Ripped and the Eternal. It seems you have to hate both or one of them if you want to be someone who is respected here. I know here are fans who like them both, but they very rare say their opinion (I understand them, because there is too much people who want to threw their hate everytime itīs possible).

I hope SY will continue, if they can make as great records as Eternal is. But I also think itīs better to split than make any lousy record and I really believe SY will do it, if they notice they donīt have anything to give anymore.

Fact: always best to not worry about what others think. Especially on a Sonic Youth forum. Reality is, Sonic Youth fans tend to be some of the biggest musical snobs ever. "I like Sonic Youth and if you Like Rather RIpped you probably aren't a real fan blah blah blah" kinda shit. Just listen to what ya want.

That said, Rather Ripped did totally suck. haha
Old 06.26.2012, 09:02 PM   #50
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
My experience is that youīre not approved on SY board if you like both Rather Ripped and the Eternal. It seems you have to hate both or one of them if you want to be someone who is respected here.

Don't worry. I'm the only person on this board whose respect you need, and I respect you. You have my approval to post whatever you like. And come to think of it, so does Lee...
Old 06.26.2012, 10:53 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
so there's no point in disscussing this bullshit, Youth ended after NYC ghost and flowers. they made four more albums and they're still in denial.

and what happen to those fucking weird tunings?.....like they were wanting to be pavement after Ghost and Flowers. i'd rather listen to "Brighten the Corners".

i want my sonic tooth back. not pave tunings. those nervous life affirming tunings.

The way I understand it, after they got jacked for their truckload of guitars, Thurston started writing tunes on the acoustic. It seems pretty obvious as well, because just about any tune from the past several albums can easily be played solo acoustic. I dig it though, I think it brought out a more structured, musical element to sonic youth music.

Old 06.27.2012, 01:33 AM   #52
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't agree about it being the "perfect SY album," but I am on board with just about everything else you're saying. I too was extremely excited for Eternal, as I have been for every new SY album since the mid 90s. However, I have been listening to them long enough to know never to be surprised if an album doesn't grab me on the first listen. Very few of them have, and I knew Eternal would probably be no different. It's taken Mich lo Ger than usual for this one to grab me, but it finally has.

I think the album stands out or its production, which is often shat on by fans, but is actually extremely precise. Yes, it's kind of "big rock" sounding, but it's "big rock" done extremely well.
Maybe perfect is wrong word. Maybe mature is better. I think in Eternal SY put together almost all the elements they have had after BMR. And the production is that kind nothing really much attacking you. I like these kinds of serene albums that are not too adult rock. But of course I will ever say it is their greatest album, but maybe if somebody hasnīt ever heard SY and heīs got quite ordinary music taste, I will recommed Eternal to him.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 01:42 AM   #53
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
You make it sound as though people are deliberately going against their true instincts by saying they dislike those albums. I suppose some might but as someone who dislikes both (although I quite like a couple of songs on Eternal) it seems to me that SY in recent years have almost no connection with what initially got me interested in them. Not better or worse, necessarily, just incomparably different. Apart from loyalty or curiosity, what is there in Rather Ripped or The Eternal that should make a fan of Confusion is Sex or Bad Moon Rising feel in any way obliged to care about them?

That may well make me narrow minded but not dishonest or (heaven forbid) searching for respect here. I never expected or wanted SY to stop progressing, I just don't really care much for where that progression has taken them.
Itīs me totally ok to not like Rather Ripped or Eternal. What bugs me is that every now and then somebody started thread where people say how lousy albums RR and Eternal are. I think everybody knows in this board that there are many SY fans who donīt like them.

To me it seems many SY fans had really out of realism expectations before RR and of course SY couldnīt fullfill them. Since them here has been lots of this "SY used to be great band, but they betrayed us". To me it seems many fans seem to think their favourite artists are like parents to them nowdays. I am very serious music fan, but I donīt expect artists all the time fullfill my hopes. There are many artists that I think have turned to mediocre and I donīt listen them anymore. I donīt also have any interest to be also in those artists gossibs. I am here, because I think SY still make very important music to me. I still think itīs the greatest band in the world.

Is this SYG so special message board you have to be here even you havenīt like SY after BMR?
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 02:35 AM   #54
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Kurdt died for nothing.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 03:00 PM   #55
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
sure, Rather Ripped sucks (dick). just like The Eternal is the big Climax (cum) shot of the whole portion of the film.

get what i'm fucking saying???? huh? The Eternal is Rather Ripped part 2 just like Sonic Nurse is Murray Street part two, just less melodic and more boring.

so much for that satisfying orgasm.

edit/drugs....why doesn't no one correct me? speak up.

The Eternal was OK. And while I LOVE Murray Street, I think Sonic Nurse was way better.
Old 06.27.2012, 03:09 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Honestly I think Murray Street is the black sheep of the past ten years, I always wondered why all the Sonic SNOBS gave it such acclaim while only to shit on later greater albums

To me? The duds are EJSTNS and Murray Street, and everything is else is gold yo! 17 for 19 aint bad, those are straight Shaq attack numbers!!

Old 06.27.2012, 05:03 PM   #57
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Honestly I think Murray Street is the black sheep of the past ten years, I always wondered why all the Sonic SNOBS gave it such acclaim while only to shit on later greater albums

To me? The duds are EJSTNS and Murray Street, and everything is else is gold yo! 17 for 19 aint bad, those are straight Shaq attack numbers!!

straight shaq attack numbers.
Old 06.27.2012, 07:22 PM   #58
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Kurdt died for nothing.
u are sexy love the new avatar xo

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2012, 07:25 PM   #59
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse would have been the perfect ending. enough said. i still love the etermal thogh.

Old 06.27.2012, 07:26 PM   #60
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

one of the albums i physically do not own is Murray St

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth