Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands that were good and got bad.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2008, 02:24 PM   #101
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Jesus and Mary Chain.

I saw them in 1986 and they lived up to the hype.

Saw them again in 1998 (I think) and they were dull.
Yes. I never saw them live, but recording-wise they got pretty boring after Honey's Dead.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2008, 04:02 PM   #102
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Use Your Illusion I and II" were a bit too ridiculous and long but some of the epic songs like Estranged were amazing. They were best at rocking though.

"Spaghetti Incident" was a bunch of decent covers of mostly awesome punk songs.

"Lies" was great.

"Appetite"... Rocket Queen and It's So Easy are so great.

Really, G'N'R were amazing songwriters. The same can't be said for most bands on here that people like (Battles, Liars, etc).

THANK YOU

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2008, 07:08 PM   #103
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty surprised that no one has mentionned:

PIXIES

Okay maybe that does not count as they sucked from the moment they were reunited but still...

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=_cPEPj0ji9s
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jW1a3cSaqbU

Come on...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2008, 07:08 PM   #104
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Also someone mentionned Primal Scream - I actually dislike everything they've done except XTRMNTR that I consider as a masterpiece, so I guess I disagree with this statement
Old 08.08.2008, 07:31 PM   #105
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Eh? So, we're judging the quality of live shows in the face of not having any new material (in reference to Pixies)? Because, from album to album, Pixies were a band that got better on every release (I'm not a fan of Bossanova but musically it's about a million times more accomplished than Surfer Rosa, for example).

I'm not even a big Pixies fan... I'm just saying, they never got bad.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2008, 07:36 PM   #106
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Yes that's why I said maybe it did not count. But still, as they did nothing new after Trompe Le Monde, I think we can judge on their live shows - and gosh look at that, now they look like a stupid old ass Pixies tribute band...

Still, I don't really think they got better with every release... Doolittle is my personal fave and Bossanova the one I like the least. Trompe Le Monde is fantastic though. I don't know
Old 08.08.2008, 07:38 PM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not talking about your personal favorites, I'm saying they actually got better, musically and songwriting-wise, on every release. I mean, DRAMATICALLY better from release to release. Though, obviously, they lost some of their energy which is what most people loved about their music.

Trompe le Monde, from every angle, is probably their best though.

But yeah, did anyone say Breeders yet?

That band went from passable to the worst band I've ever heard.

Old 08.08.2008, 08:45 PM   #108
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I love Pod, but everything after that is equally meh.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2008, 08:35 AM   #109
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
I love Pod, but everything after that is equally meh.

same. but i think everything after that is below the meh level

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2008, 11:14 AM   #110
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm not talking about your personal favorites, I'm saying they actually got better, musically and songwriting-wise, on every release. I mean, DRAMATICALLY better from release to release. Though, obviously, they lost some of their energy which is what most people loved about their music.

Trompe le Monde, from every angle, is probably their best though.
I have the complete opposite opinion from you. Surfer Rosa is definitely my favourite Pixies release and the one I spin most often. I always thought Doolittle was okay, Bossanova was okay and that Trompe le Monde was awful.

I do see your approach though, they did become much more tighter as a band, but those later albums lacked an enthusiastic spark that Surfer Rosa was brimming of. I personally think even though they got tighter, they seemed to have got bored (also the fact that the band were always arguing in those days, adding fire to how they just couldn't be bothered anymore).

Though whatever tightness they had in the songwriting department went away fast, Frank's solo albums are AWFUL.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2008, 12:49 PM   #111
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"....but some of the epic songs like Estranged were amazing.
Estranged is easily my favorite GNR song ever.
Old 08.09.2008, 01:31 PM   #112
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
u2 still good though
interpol

what was the name of the first song on the first interpol record?
Ive got it laying around somewhere...it was the reason I bought the whole record, this song is so dope!
need to listen to it right now, but yes they suck now
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2008, 05:43 PM   #113
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Beck for sure... Information was so dull, and hes found a new level of dullness on Modern Guilt. Tosser. What happened to the vibrant world of odelay?
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2008, 07:13 PM   #114
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
dEUS, since "Pocket Revolution"(next to last album).
"Vantage Point" is better than "Pocket Revolution" in my humble opinion. It's alot more coherent.
Old 08.09.2008, 10:34 PM   #115
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

ESTRANGED was brilliant.

Old 08.10.2008, 03:59 AM   #116
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
Guns N Roses pretended (to this day!) that they were putting an end to the the whole 'hair metal'/LA Glam/power ballad phenomenon. The truth of the matter is that 90% of listeners at the time saw them as just an extension of that whole scene. Even Jane's Addiction, who were sometimes compared to G 'N' R in the very beginning, sounded a million light years from them.

I always find that odd when the band members go on about this. I don't mind GnR, but even I'd say they're one of THE most self-deluded bands.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2008, 04:01 AM   #117
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Yeah Axl Rose is a total douche.
Old 08.10.2008, 04:18 AM   #118
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but they were all pretty cretinous at the end of the day. Savage Clone is probably right in saying that they represent all that is bad, but at the same time I do have a real soft spot them. Although, to be honest that's probably more for the whole GnR concept, and phenomenon, than for their actual music.

It's similar in that way to my fascination with the Sex Pistols. Another band whose 'story' is far more interesting than their music.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2008, 04:40 AM   #119
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
interpol
beastie boys (to the 5 Boroughs, the mix-up)
pearl jam (riot act, pearl jam)
radiohead a little bit
the white stripes

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2008, 05:51 AM   #120
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Liz Phair never did anything worthwhile after her excellent debut album.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth