Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Carpenters Did Not Suck.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.04.2010, 11:19 PM   #21
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Who's saying that they did? Perhaps you should hangout less with teenagers?

This made me laugh. A lot.

I'd begin with her voice as Exhibit A. Her voice was monumental. Then I'd move to their choice of songs, and how they chose so well, .....songs that suited their style, .....and how they reworked them a little but not too much. (See Ticket To Ride and Help. I think Lennon must have been proud). Then I'd move to his piano/keyboard work.

But I'll check the rest of this thread first.....
Old 03.04.2010, 11:21 PM   #22
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Is it already time for the next 'worship a mediocre pop band' thread. Doesn't time fly.

Dude....you said "mediocre". That's great.
Old 03.04.2010, 11:22 PM   #23
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Barry Manilow didn't suck either.

Essentially, this is true. And the motherfucker sounds/looks great in his mid60s too.
Old 03.04.2010, 11:24 PM   #24
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Thread about a brilliant band - check
Snide comment from confused old man Pookie - check

Ah, sweet consistency.

He's old? (....runs to his profile.......) Holy fuck he's 43. LOL.
Old 03.06.2010, 07:14 PM   #25
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Thread about a brilliant band - check
Snide comment from confused old man Pookie - check

Ah, sweet consistency.
Funnily enough I try to stay out of threads about music these days for precisely this reason. I just couldn't resist this one - I had a moment of weakness.

If it's any consolation I had to listen to a whole Abba CD this evening. We had a friend over and her daughter insisted on bringing it. She did have the excuse of being 6 mind.

"Though this is a parody, there is nothing funny about eating disorders."
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2010, 07:47 PM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
After Sun Ra, Karen is my ultimate role model.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2010, 07:57 PM   #27
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
how many SY songs are there about Karen Carpenter?

Karen Revisited
Tunic
Karen Coltrane

Have i missed any out?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2010, 10:06 PM   #28
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBasket
Yes this is a gr8 band. U know it 2 b true becuz of the anorezicz. Proves it.

As a middle clasz post punk frum neu york i amz fasciznated with dead anorexic popstars and the noshun that they died 4 "it" makes my own sellin out seem moar worfwhile, as if wut i am doing actually materrs.

New resident loonie?

Anyways, Carpenters are awesome.
Old 03.06.2010, 10:30 PM   #29
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
the Lee songs are not about Karen Carpenter.

I was at a Thurston book signing where he claimed "Tunic" wasn't about
Karen C. That was just amazing. I don't think that day he even knew exactly where he was.
Old 12.22.2010, 02:43 AM   #30
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Bump.

I recently snagged a copy of Lindsay Brice's book, "Supernatural". Kim Gordon contributed the foreword to it, and she mentioned Karen Carpenter in relation to "Tunic". Since it is sort of relevant to what was discussed here, i decided to bump this old thread. Below's an extract of the text pertaining to the subject at hand:

"Karen Carpenter, for me, epitomized the tragedy of what can happen when a child's dream of doll-like perfection is internalized and becomes real adult expectation. Her voice had such depth, such presence, and yet she seemed to hate her body so much that she wanted to disappear behind her brother, her drum kit, and into herself. In the Sonic Youth song, "Tunic", i tried to express a sense of how alone she must have felt, adrift from the unattainable feminine ideal of adulthood that she'd dreamed of as a girl. Todd Haynes' notorious 1987 underground film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story used Barbie dolls to tell us about Karen. Ironically, it seemed much more realistic than the made-for-TV movie."

-Kim Gordon
Hollywood, California
September 1, 2005

I know it surely isn't anything new, but i'm posting it anyways. This thread came to mind when i was listening to the Carpenters today...
Old 12.22.2010, 03:03 AM   #31
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
the Lee songs are not about Karen Carpenter.

I was at a Thurston book signing where he claimed "Tunic" wasn't about
Karen C. That was just amazing. I don't think that day he even knew exactly where he was.
That's a bit like when D.Bowie said that he'd never kiss anyone who looks like Lou Reed.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2010, 05:45 AM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
That's a bit like when D.Bowie said that he'd never kiss anyone who looks like Lou Reed.

I think it's fair to say we've all fallen into that particular trap while buying the Big Issue on a lonely Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2010, 11:40 PM   #33
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli

some time ago, i was listening to a whatistHIScalled show and it started with this. what a great way to start. since then, the song entered my all time favourate songs list. thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36XaML8Djbk

Glad to hear somebody was listening. My old band That Stupid Club had an obscure track called "Those Chains" which was just a record skipping on that song where Karen sings "Those chains that bind me" so that it was just "those chains those chains those chains those chains" all over and over. The Carpenters version is definitely my favorite, but the song was originally made famous by Bacharach's first diva Dionne Warwick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQBOBoPg04

also classic.

This, however, is my personal theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT...vjFfGl8rDpPxIq

I taught Lennon to sing "Close to You" with me at bedtime, and he now knows all the lyrics.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2011, 10:11 PM   #34
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Glad to hear somebody was listening. My old band That Stupid Club had an obscure track called "Those Chains" which was just a record skipping on that song where Karen sings "Those chains that bind me" so that it was just "those chains those chains those chains those chains" all over and over. The Carpenters version is definitely my favorite, but the song was originally made famous by Bacharach's first diva Dionne Warwick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQBOBoPg04

also classic.

This, however, is my personal theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVU LXdXC_ryOFvjFfGl8rDpPxIq

I taught Lennon to sing "Close to You" with me at bedtime, and he now knows all the lyrics.

one cant beat rainy days and mondays, or much else the carpenters did

Old 05.26.2011, 10:44 PM   #35
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
If it's any consolation I had to listen to a whole Abba CD this evening. We had a friend over and her daughter insisted on bringing it. She did have the excuse of being 6 mind.

Man I love ABBA...... they're so great at what they do. I didn't think much of them until I took my parents to see Mama Mia, then couldn't get the songs out of my head, prompting me to buy their albums. Great stuff, for the most part, some of their stuff is a little cringe worthy...... Still over 10 albums that's a pretty good ratio.......... I was really happy when I read that Chris Carter from throbbing Gristle is OBSESSED with ABBA........ He seems like a cool guy and I'd love to have drinks with him and his charming wife, you know...........

Carpenters are pretty alright from what I've heard too........ not a huge fan or whatnot but I don't change the station.
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2011, 11:38 PM   #36
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

liking Abba and the Carpenters whilst also liking Ashtray Navigations and Whitehouse should not be considered unusual.

Old 05.27.2011, 06:31 AM   #37
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
liking Abba and the Carpenters whilst also liking Ashtray Navigations and Whitehouse should not be considered unusual.

My wife said "I can't believe you like ABBA, that's so lame!!"

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 07:37 PM   #38
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
My wife said "I can't believe you like ABBA, that's so lame!!"

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it.......

Im tempted to say something questionable about your wife... but thankfully im a semi-decent person.

This is my Carpenters for today

Old 06.05.2011, 08:34 PM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
just watched SUPERSTAR, the todd haynes movie where he portrays the carpenters with barbie dolls

fucked up and neat

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2011, 10:14 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
^ seriously, download that movie, it's the only way you can see it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth