Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How loud is a Marshall really?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I'm looking into getting a new amp and I want something loud because the band I'm in now plays quite loud, so I'm looking for something that can get loud without being maxed out.

I was looking at a Marshall halfstack for 440 bucks used, but the head is 100watts and the cab is 120watts. I was just wondering how loud is this really? I've played through a marshall before but I'm not sure what the wattage was so I don't have much to refer too.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
100 watts in a Marshall tube head is pretty loud.
Mine is 200 watts and it's thee loudest thing I have ever encountered. I usually have it set between 1 and 2, and our band is one of the loudest in our area. Having 200 watts makes it easier to have a much cleaner sound at higher volumes, but my amp is also pretty rare.
Chris from Kinski uses a 100 watt Park head, which is very similar, and he likes a loud clean amp. They vary from head to head though, and I would highly recommend testing anything you are thinking of buying.
Also, in my experience 100 watts of solid state doesn't really compare to 100 tube watts in terms of beefy volume.

You might want to try a Music Man 212 combo. They're about the most powerful combo amp ever made, and I prefer their sound to that of a Twin Reverb. I think they're 150 watts (at least 130), and I know two people that have them. Very very loud, much more than you'd expect from a combo, and though their prices are starting to go up a little, they're still much cheaper than a vintage Fender.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks a lot, I'll look into the Music Man combo.
Because we have such a loud drummer we have to boost up the volume.

Old 03.10.2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Mrs. Butcher
bad moon rising

Mrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's asses
100 watts should be OK. We have three guitarists and they use 100 watt marshalls, alot depends on the size of the cab too.

Usually tubes are twice the volume of solid state, so a 50watt tube will equal a 100watt solid state.
Mrs. Butcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 11:56 AM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
If that one for sale is an MGDFX100, look elsewhere. Those are absolute shit.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 08:57 PM   #6
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
tube amps are always going to be louder than solid state. I've used Marshall JCM 900s a couple of times and have never had a problem being heard. The guy I'm playing with now plays a JCM 800 and doesn't have much of a problem either. Stay away from Marshall solid state amps; I think they sound like shit, but at the same time, I've heard them used effectively.

When my friend bought his JCM 900, he was very disappointed in the way it sounded. We eventually attributed the lack of heavy to his Fender Strat, so if you're looking for more crunch and/or beefy volume, make sure your guitar has some humbuckers on it.

As always, it always depends on what you're trying to do, so try things out and don't be too spontaneous with your purchase. Most of my experience has been playing with hardcore bands, so if you're playing hardcore, a JCM 900 with some humbuckers should rage sufficiently.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 11:59 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I'm looking into getting a new amp and I want something loud because the band I'm in now plays quite loud, so I'm looking for something that can get loud without being maxed out.

I was looking at a Marshall halfstack for 440 bucks used, but the head is 100watts and the cab is 120watts. I was just wondering how loud is this really? I've played through a marshall before but I'm not sure what the wattage was so I don't have much to refer too.

for that price I recommend:

ValveKing(R) 212 Combo
Item # 00575650
MSRP: $799.99

Peavey ValveKing(R) amps feature a patented, variable Class A-A/B control called Texture(TM), which allows sweepable selection between Class A and Class A/B power structures, as well as any combination of the two. With this feature, guitarists can coax virtually any tone from this tweaked-out amplifier. The amp's preamp and power sections use 12AX7 and 6L6GC tubes, respectively, and drive specially voiced 12" ValveKing(R) loudspeakers (112 and 212 versions only). Additional standard features include two footswitchable channels with independent, three-band EQ and volume, plus a footswitchable gain/volume boost on the lead channel to provide extra volume for solos. ValveKing(R) amps also feature global resonance, presence and reverb controls, a buffered effects loop and dual speaker jacks in parallel (head and 212 only).

Features
  • 100 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
  • Four 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
  • Two independent footswitchable channels
  • Separate EQ for each channel
  • Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
  • Dual paralleled speaker jacks
  • Two 12 inch ValveKing(R) speakers
  • Reverb with level control
  • Buffered effects loop
  • Resonance and presence controls

louder then shit, and it usually sells for around 450.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 12:14 AM   #8
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I have a Marshall Valvestate 8080. I don't want to know how loud it can go, but I usually play with channel volume at 50% and main volume at 15% and it's VERY loud at that.
Old 03.12.2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Sonic Starpower
empty page

Sonic Starpower has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Mine goes up to 11 lol.
Sonic Starpower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 05:14 PM   #10
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Thanks a lot.
I've been looking and asking around a lot because I don't want to waste that much money.
I was looking at the randall dg200g3, I think is what it's called. It's a 200watt combo amp. only 600. I'm not quite sure exactly what is, some sort of tube/solid state combo. The sound of a tube amp with the durability of a solid state.

Old 03.12.2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Sonic Starpower
empty page

Sonic Starpower has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I got a 100 watt half stack and it rocks.
Sonic Starpower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth