Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page McCarren Pool Set List
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.31.2008, 09:30 PM   #41
happy friend penis liar
empty page

happy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud ofhappy friend penis liar has much to be proud of
i took a tab of acid for the show and wolf eyes was less than fun. i found all the band to be quite shitty. it was like we had to work for SY. SY on the other hand played one of the best shows ive seen yet. burning spear was fucking incredible
happy friend penis liar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 10:53 PM   #42
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/01/ar....html?ref=arts
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 11:00 PM   #43
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Incredible show...Derek, you did right to damage your ears.

Actually, there was no ringing in my ears afterwards. Maybe my hearing is already as damaged as it can be! Great to see you, Jenn!
Old 09.01.2008, 10:17 AM   #44
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Hmm...I don't understand all the animosity towards wolf eyes...i knew what to expect and enjoyed it...they occupy a small space of the overall sonic youth aesthetic and work it quite well...i guess most people there were only familiar with the starbucks comp?...the only assholes i noticed up front were hollister looking douchebags who were too busy talking about the real world while the set was going on...now thats fucking obnoxious...nothing was as obnoxious as vivian girls though...ugh
chairman of the bored is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 10:32 AM   #45
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Melly, I think you've made a completely fair assessment here. However, for the record, among noiseheads (where I totally don't rank myself!), Wolf Eyes are most definitely not considered power electronics.

When I saw Wolf Eyes (also opening for Sonic Youth, though in 2003) I had the same overall reaction as most of you. They seemed to put way too much faith in the tricks of their instruments and equipment without really doing much that was innovative with them. I must say though, that I found the Human Animal album on Sub Pop way better than that, and they were actually doing pretty interesting stuff. So I get the feeling they must be pretty hit and miss. Or else they just can't do live what they can with time to edit, which is equally possible. Though there must be some reason SY keeps having them open for them, so I'm guessing it's the "hit and miss" factor.

Good point, Dead-Air. Wolf Eyes are not classic power electronics at all - inspired by yes, but otherwise they are a different beast. Their frat-boy shtick can be humourous or (far more often) tiresome, but on a good day they are very good live. You do get the best of them from the likes of "Burned Mind", though.
Old 09.01.2008, 11:45 PM   #46
canvasseamonkey
empty page

canvasseamonkey has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i'm glad i spent the opening hours at a local bar, sounds like a shitty scene
canvasseamonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 01:53 AM   #47
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i was up front to the right of the stage. i was wearing a mickey mouse yellow shirt and a bears hat. i thought it was a really great set and show. i thought wolf eyes was good. new times viking suck. i was late and only caught the last two songs of the vivian girls, but i've seen them a few times and i can see them anytime here so it was no big deal. when i was walking to the pool they sounded great.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 07:03 AM   #48
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
my vids from the show:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15811600nb5AGY8T

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15811884jGKKhSTx
Old 09.02.2008, 07:42 AM   #49
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
picture of setlist: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LuLvgfE5p2...h/IMG_4059.JPG
should have asked them to open up the flap.

I thought Wolf Eyes were excellent, John Olson(the guy who plays the saxophone) was at the merch table after the show. Show posters were $20. Thanks for the vids.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 08:32 AM   #50
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
I thought Wolf Eyes were excellent, John Olson(the guy who playes the saxophone) was at the merch table after the show. Show posters were $20. Thanks for the vids.

http://www.visitordesign.com/shelflife/?p=33
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 08:38 AM   #51
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

thanks!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 09:40 AM   #52
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i was up front to the right of the stage. i was wearing a mickey mouse yellow shirt and a bears hat.
I think you, Cantankerous, myself and Ripchord were all very close to one another.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 10:35 AM   #53
Ripchord
the destroyed room

Ripchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
I think you, Cantankerous, myself and Ripchord were all very close to one another.
Yeah, but you got pushed back a little bit.

I was behind that annoying guy who kept holding up a record (I couldn't see which one) and would put it in front of peoples faces if the camera was focusing on them.

Ripchord is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 10:43 AM   #54
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the first song soubnds waaay too much like dinosaur jr.
but the second song, mars-YES!
sound fucking great!

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 11:27 AM   #55
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripchord
Yeah, but you got pushed back a little bit.

I was behind that annoying guy who kept holding up a record (I couldn't see which one) and would put it in front of peoples faces if the camera was focusing on them.

I think that was the J'accuse Ted Hughes SYR and I interpreted it as his form of a request.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 12:21 PM   #56
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
No Way sounds really "classic Sonic Youth", but Mars seems really excellent!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 01:53 PM   #57
hooligan37
little trouble girl

hooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Ripcord. I was right next to that guy with the record. I was wearing a Raiders hat and with an Asian girl. It was SYR8. He was wearing a Melvins shirt too. At one point he yelled "anyone got some weed"? Then an Asian kid hooked him up. He almost got tossed too for thowing empty water bottles onstage. But for the most part it was a great show. I'm glad to have seen Brother James played again. Havnt seen that played in like 3-4 years.
hooligan37 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 03:02 PM   #58
Ripchord
the destroyed room

Ripchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan37
He almost got tossed too for thowing empty water bottles onstage.
I know! WTF?

Ripchord is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 09:54 PM   #59
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Mars sounds incredible!

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2008, 10:59 PM   #60
mcap
empty page

mcap has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Louis CK was in attendance...
mcap is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth