Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page When listening to music, how do you approach it?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I know a fair amount of you are musicians of some sort, so when you listen to music all you can focus on is the technicality of things. Complicated melodies, alternative tunings, and unique chords... or whatever.

But, me, I consider myself somewhat of a writer/storyteller, so I guess when I listen to music, I look for something that captures feelings, and emotions that I would struggle with communicating through words. Anything loud and noisy is a great way of taking the edge off through this. I also enjoy when music aids me in exploring lesser exposed aspects of my personality - like say, Avril Lavigne!

So, the question remains...

When listening to music, how do you approach it?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2011, 04:58 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Lyrics are last to me.

Music is everything. It's what tickles me fancy.

I don't have a formula for listening ot music.

the main thing...is that it must be unique. I getbored with melodies and sounds I've heard before. I try to find music that's strange and new. And that's why I think SY is my favorite band. So many records and so few have similar sound and tone.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Lyrics arent important at all for me.. its the music that gives me the chills/feelings..the whole atmosphere.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 09:26 AM   #4
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I am a sucker for atmosphere. dark, bright, strange, happy.
if the atmosphere gets me I dont care what the ingredients are, what the genre is, what the sound source is.
the funny thing is that counts for almost any art form for me. no matter if its film, art or music.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth