Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Is SY's Deal To Sign Other Bands to Geffen Stiil in Effect?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.28.2006, 12:33 AM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Just curious.

I remember hearing how SY got the opportunity to do this when they started at geffen, famously getting them Nirvana. Does anyone remember the exact terms of the agreement? WHat other bands did SY sign? And most importantly is the deal still in effect or did it stop after thurston and steve started their own respective record labels?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 12:49 AM   #2
blastscenealibi
bad moon rising

blastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think there was an agreement between SY and Geffen to let SY "sign" artists to the label. As far as Nirvana getting signed it was just SY saying to Geffen "hey, check this band out, they would be a good band to sign" and Geffen deciding on their own to sign them. Not because they were contractually obligated to sign a band because SY said to. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
blastscenealibi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 12:55 AM   #3
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
the only other band i think SY had a hand in signing to DGC i know of was Cell (Keith Neely used to be a guitar tech for the band, and was featured in Year Punk Broke)

i think they would have stopped about 94/95, the label didn't care for the band much anymore, but didn't wanna drop them either, Thurston in the last year has gone into overdrive with Ecstatic Peace
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 09:48 AM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
They got St Johnny a Geffen deal too.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth