Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans - The Glowing Man
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2017, 06:39 PM   #61
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I contributed!! We need this document. Swans are underdocumented. Same Dude who has done DVDs with last 2 albums...good work.

Skuj! There you are, friend. I thought you'd sworn off the board. Don't do that!

Good for you for contributing. I agree, we need this!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 06:49 PM   #62
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Skuj! There you are, friend. I thought you'd sworn off the board. Don't do that!

Oh fuck. I forgot.
Skuj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 07:12 PM   #63
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Whoops! Double posted and added the second time around. Hah! Sorry. Edited to not be redundant.

You're right — we need this.

Although, come to think of it, we could actually probably use a definitive Sonic Youth documentary as much or more. Year Punk Broke doesn't cut it.

Anyway, cheers. We're getting a SWANS movie.

Also The Glowing Man has grown on me a lot. Didn't feel like a list-topper for the year (2012 simply belonged to The Seer. Period.) but I feel like I'm still getting to know it, and finding new things about it to appreciate. Kind of devastating how little fanfare it received.
Old 01.28.2017, 07:40 PM   #64
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Agree, it got little love. It really is a transitional record to my ears. I think many people wanted To Be The Kind Seer Returns or something, but it's a slight left turn towards....god knows what. Several tracks on it are my fav 2010s Swans moments. It's amazing what they have given us since 2010. It's just epic. I still have not absorbed it all.
Old 01.28.2017, 08:52 PM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Agree, it got little love. It really is a transitional record to my ears. I think many people wanted To Be The Kind Seer Returns or something, but it's a slight left turn towards....god knows what. Several tracks on it are my fav 2010s Swans moments. It's amazing what they have given us since 2010. It's just epic. I still have not absorbed it all.

Hinestly I think the rape allegations did a lot of damage. Pitchfork, for instance, gave the album an 8-point something, but oddly didn't call it "best new music," and didn't do any features on it. It certainly didn't get any bad reviews, but it didn't get as many reviews as the two preceding albums. I think I saw it on 2 of the year's best-of lists, and I scoured those things like crazy.

I can't think of any other explanation. SWANS and Michael Gira seem to have been blacklisted, however temporarily.
Old 01.29.2017, 01:05 AM   #66
Skuj
invito al cielo

I wonder if this new doc will have the balls to not sweep that under the carpet. It's got to be mentioned somehow, right?
Old 01.29.2017, 09:42 AM   #67
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
i always felt that To Be Kind was better than the Seer. haven't really gone near The Glowing Man. i will when i absorb the last two.

why doesn't SY produce something like this?
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2017, 11:56 AM   #68
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I wonder if this new doc will have the balls to not sweep that under the carpet. It's got to be mentioned somehow, right?

That's an excellent question.

I'd be lying if I said the whole thing didn't leave a pretty nasty taste in my mouth — all of it. But it is certainly part of the "complete" story of the band.

I imagine they will not include much about it, probably in the premise that the issue doesn't have anything to do with SWANS and their music. I wouldn't say this means they have "balls." Quite the opposite in fact. But I'm trying to think of how it Gia's commentary on the matter could be included tastefully, and without seeming like a ploy.
Old 01.29.2017, 12:20 PM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
i always felt that To Be Kind was better than the Seer. haven't really gone near The Glowing Man. i will when i absorb the last two.

I think The Seer is so much better than To Be Kind. I'm sorry. It's just, like, no contest. The Seer was an evolution — a massive step. To Be Kind just stomped on the same ground until all the grass and dirt and sand got all mushed together. It's still good, but it borders on grating, and pushes things to extremes. It also seems to — as I've said before — lack the tonal variety of Seer.

There's nothing on To Be Kind that strikes quite like "Avatar." Not to my ears anyway. So, like I said, for me The Seer positively owned 2012. To Be Kind is great, and I think the consensus is that it's better than The Seer, but for me it just didn't have the same immediacy or appeal. Still a remarkable record, though.

The Glowing Man seems to take a step back and sideways. It's closer to Seer and My Father... than it is to TBK. But I think Seer is inarguably the definitive document from the 2010s iteration of SWANS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
why doesn't SY produce something like this?

I'd love to know. I really would. Apart from the obvious things like Kim and Thurston not probably being interested in collaborating. I think they could get over that for the purposes of a defining document. If George and Paul and Ringo could get together and not only record withthe ghost of their dead friend, but then sit under a tree and wank off about themselves for a 5-hour film, then I'd say Kim and Thurston could at give some interviews together. And probably should, before they start to... you know... Die.
Old 01.29.2017, 01:17 PM   #70
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
ha! yeah, they're well over the age when the Beatles did the Anthology.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2017, 05:10 PM   #71
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Last week, I unfollowed ThorHarris666 due to his constant rhetoric and negativeness......Twitter has now suspended his account due to what some are calling hate speech.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2017, 08:00 PM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Last week, I unfollowed ThorHarris666 due to his constant rhetoric and negativeness......Twitter has now suspended his account due to what some are calling hate speech.

I saw this/heard about it. Disappointing.
Old 02.09.2017, 05:07 AM   #73
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
What's all this about?
Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2017, 09:03 AM   #74
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Promise
What's all this about?

Oddly enough, his Twitter account is active this morning. One notable difference is the pencil sketching of multiple cock & balls ramming each other (his Twitter header) has been replaced with picture of the Texas State Capital in Austin.

He had posted videos about how to punch a Natzi in the face and another about cutting metal to help people penetrate the fence between Texas and Mexico.

Thor is extremely bitter about Trump being President. I'm not sure if I saw anything that I considered "hate speech," I'll probably start following him once he starts tweeting about music again.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2017, 04:25 AM   #75
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
trump stuff is perfectly fine from where I'm standing but overbearing masculine brutality shouldn't necessarily be unexpected coming from a former member of swans....

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 10:29 PM   #76
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
It's good, but I feel like we've seen it all before. Boy do I ever want to see them live again though.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2017, 10:31 AM   #77
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
trump stuff is perfectly fine from where I'm standing but overbearing masculine brutality shouldn't necessarily be unexpected coming from a former member of swans....

Well now I'm hearing the "suspension" was because of penis doodles, NOT nazi-punching or fence cutting tutorials.

I dunno.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth