Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page If Kim's Voice Was So Shot, Why Didnt They
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2006, 12:16 PM   #21
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
"reena" is probably one of my least favorite songs on the record .

*gasp*

Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:37 PM   #22
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
it doesnt matter if you dont like the song or if kim could not hear herself and sang of key at a few points. Just enjoy it and dont complain at the little things.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:39 PM   #23
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was very good and I agree Lee & Steve were rockin. Thurston to not to leave him out and I like his shirt he had on.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Ono Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, it's true, Kim's vocals were a bit rough last night, but so what? We're talking about SONIC YOUTH here! Their music has always been a bit rough around the edges. To me, that's a huge part of their magic. Especially in this era so completely dominated by over produced, disposable garbage it's nice to see somebody creating something so raw and real. Even their most melodic moments always have a bit of that raw edge- maybe the guitars are slightly out of tune, or the singing is a bit flat or whatever. And I think that very human element is precisely what makes their music so beautiful.
Ono Soul is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:25 PM   #25
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Ono -

Have you listened to Rather Ripped? It's produced as sheenily as a Good Charlotte album.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:27 PM   #26
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I actually really liked the performance. Since when did Kim's voice sound normal? That's why it's unique and interesting. Like Ono said, their music has always been like that. It was even reminiscent of an older show, like an attempt to get back a little of what they used to have. I loved it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:31 PM   #27
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Firstly, most, if not all, of the Reenas I've heard sound no better really.

the music sounded terrific, but Kim did sound particularly more strained even more than usual last night.

She usually doesn't allow her movement to interfere with the delivery either, but rather to enhance the delivery, but last night you could hear her voice faltering as she was bouncing. After her dance, she seemed even more out of breath. She usually reserves that dance for Drunken Butterfly or Kool Thing, but since the camera was on her & the choices were either stand still or go nuts...she chose to go nuts & it was very cool.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 02:03 PM   #28
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Ono Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipslikewindows
Ono -

Have you listened to Rather Ripped? It's produced as sheenily as a Good Charlotte album.

Of course I have and I really like it, the songs themselves and the sound of the record. I think there's a really big difference between something that's well recorded and totally over produced. A HUGE difference. In fact, one of the things that I really like about all their recent records is how well recorded they are. "Goo" and "Dirty" were a bit over produced by Sonic Youth standards, but I think everything they've done from like "Experimental Jet Set" and "Washing Machine" on has a really great sound. Very powerful yet still quite organic sounding. But that's just my opinion of course. To each his own....
Old 08.10.2006, 02:10 PM   #29
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ono -

Actually, it is not. The guitars are clean and the record sounds a bit poppy, but overproduced... are you kidding me? Their aren't thousands of overdubs... trippled up guitars... synths added for the fuck of it... strings... etcetera... Neither is their any compression, y'know compression, that bullshit that makes you incapable of hearing the fucking attack on the string at all and just makes power chords turn into this huge wall of crap mush... The vocals aren't pushed to the forefront above everything else. Nevermind is overproduced. By The Way, by the RHCP is overproduced... Ok Computer can be considered overproduced (all though it fits that record really well). Rather Ripped is rather straight forward... Warm and clean.

As a matter of fact, I actually find it less produced, and simpler sounding than Murray Street and Sonic Nurse, which sort of had this calculated Jim O'rourke influenced production value. Not that I outright dislike that sound or blame Jim for it, its just something always seemed kind of sterile on the Jim O'rourke records compared to say A Thousand Leaves.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 02:29 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is all Conan O'Brien's fault, that fucking dipshit Ivy League wanna be funny asshole fuckface shit
Old 08.10.2006, 03:00 PM   #31
CROATOAN
empty page

CROATOAN ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it is all Conan O'Brien's fault, that fucking dipshit Ivy League wanna be funny asshole fuckface shit

FUCK YES! Finally, an answer that makes sense.
CROATOAN is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 03:08 PM   #32
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

so did you watch it or are you that intensively boycotting Conan?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 03:09 PM   #33
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Never said it was over produced. I said it was too sheeny. It sounds polished to within an inch of its life.
Old 08.10.2006, 03:19 PM   #34
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Never said it was over produced. I said it was too sheeny. It sounds polished to within an inch of its life.

Hmmm... maybe... I don't think I agree... At least I don't see Good Charlotte as a good analogue.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 03:25 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I wodl have watched it but I fell asleep, too tired after long long road trip.
Old 08.10.2006, 03:29 PM   #36
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Eh, its live rock n' roll, who needs perfection?
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:35 PM   #37
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Quote:

It is polished to some extent. But I don't think it's too polished. I think it sounds great actually. Anyway, to each his own....
Old 08.12.2006, 08:34 PM   #38
ltzasz
empty page

ltzasz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
however last night she sounded alright in Toronto.
First off, sorry for bumping this thread. I was at the Toronto show and I'm pretty sure the reason Kim's voice was shot was because they closed with shaking hell. She was really yelling into the microphone at the end of the song, as such she probably damaged her voice.
ltzasz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2006, 09:59 PM   #39
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anngella
She did a great job on Reena when she was in Milwaukee, and I don't really like that song.

Yea she did really good..........I love the song

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2006, 10:04 PM   #40
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltzasz
First off, sorry for bumping this thread. I was at the Toronto show and I'm pretty sure the reason Kim's voice was shot was because they closed with shaking hell. She was really yelling into the microphone at the end of the song, as such she probably damaged her voice.

Yea man, she really screams on Shaking Hell.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth