Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you think originality exists?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 31 75.61%
No 4 9.76%
I can't make up my mind 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.16.2008, 08:40 PM   #21
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
those who think originality is dead are the one's who have no new ideas of their own. too bad for them.

I'd rep you, but that would be so unoriginal. Besides, the damn thing won't let me.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 09:12 PM   #22
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
originality is a continuum...name one band/composer/musical artist who doesn't have any point of reference as far as traceable influences...i haven't been able to think of one and i listen to alot of diverse music
Old 10.16.2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
originality is a continuum...name one band/composer/musical artist who doesn't have any point of reference as far as traceable influences...i haven't been able to think of one and i listen to alot of diverse music

That really depends what you mean by "point of reference". If you mean recognizable musical influence from other musicians, I would say Wesley Willis is pretty hard to peg. Certainly he was influenced by pop culture as a whole, but he didn't ever sound the slightest bit like anyone else I can think of.

Jandek is also pretty hard to trace any direct influences to. You could say "influened by the blues" or "influenced by folk music" but you won't hear a direct reference to a single other artist in his music.
Old 10.16.2008, 09:21 PM   #24
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Who knows, maybe some old minstrel wrote a song called "lady judith is a waif" over a simple progression of 5ths. But who the fuck really cares?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 09:35 PM   #25
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Being original is just part of being alive. Everyone is original or displays originality throughout their life. Their viewpoints, thoughts, perspectives and yes even art is original. I know its become very sexy to conceptualize or idealize originality as some others have already done, so I won't bother, frankly because I lack the talent to do so. But, I will say that no matter how much of a brain-dead, droned-out, clone of person one is or could be, at some point they have thought or done something original and unique even of its on the smallest of scales.

Far as music goes....who can really say,most really cool music seems original, until you inevitably hear another band that was doing something remarkably similar and perhaps better 10/20/30 yrs before. Then we get into influences and then we get into who started what and then we get into who did it better and I have not enough hard booze for this type of discussion.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 09:36 PM   #26
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
That really depends what you mean by "point of reference". If you mean recognizable musical influence from other musicians, I would say Wesley Willis is pretty hard to peg. Certainly he was influenced by pop culture as a whole, but he didn't ever sound the slightest bit like anyone else I can think of.

Jandek is also pretty hard to trace any direct influences to. You could say "influened by the blues" or "influenced by folk music" but you won't hear a direct reference to a single other artist in his music.

i understand what you're saying, and what i'm saying is kind of hard to define. As far as wesley willis goes, repetitive keyboard styled rock and roll music was done by suicide before that. and of course, wesley doesn't necessarily sound like suicide (prob. never even heard suicide) but i just think of it as a continuum, an always evolving, but continuous set of ideas. never heard jandek, but i'll check it out.
Old 10.16.2008, 10:00 PM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
i understand what you're saying, and what i'm saying is kind of hard to define. As far as wesley willis goes, repetitive keyboard styled rock and roll music was done by suicide before that. and of course, wesley doesn't necessarily sound like suicide (prob. never even heard suicide) but i just think of it as a continuum, an always evolving, but continuous set of ideas. never heard jandek, but i'll check it out.

This is where I said it depends what you meant by "point of reference". I can't fathom Wesley Willis being influenced by Suicide, and I don't even think they sound vaguely similar. However, I'm sure he wasn't the first person to sing out of tune over casio presets.
Old 10.17.2008, 12:26 AM   #28
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
original combinations of things that exist, yes
from big obvious pieces to little bits
from conscious and intended blending, to unconscious experience and ideas influencing something, or just happening
everythings all there, put together in infinite ways
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 06:41 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:

I agree with this. Just because something isn't original it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it all the same. Jandek might be considered original (I don't), but that doesn't mean he is all that good like people make him out to be. Most of what I've read about his parable concentrates about the myth, rather than the music itself. Isn't that telling us something? In fact I find that he is one the most overrated people ever, his songs often sounding vaguely interesting but lifeless.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 07:19 AM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I agree with this. Just because something isn't original it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it all the same. Jandek might be considered original (I don't), but that doesn't mean he is all that good like people make him out to be. Most of what I've read about his parable concentrates about the myth, rather than the music itself. Isn't that telling us something? In fact I find that he is one the most overrated people ever, his songs often sounding vaguely interesting but lifeless.

Jandek isn't that great, but he's one of those that's more like a project than the usual rock thing of 'we just make some tunes, maaan'. There's nothing interesting about the Jandek myth, but I find there's something interesting in his unrelenting parity.

Originality is a bit of a bunkem term in music, to my ears. I like a lot of country, and that's been using the same 3 chords for getting on 60 years now. It's more important to listen to stuff that I think is good (and is therefore absolutely good because I AM ALWAY RIGHT) than it is to listen to something strikingly 'original'.

Sorry to weigh in with more banal say-nothing-isms. It's a slow Saturday here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 08:29 AM   #31
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
oringinality exists because we can not be sure the human race has exhausted every single aspect of life and form so therefore it has to exist because we cant prove otherwise......
Old 10.18.2008, 10:59 PM   #32
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

I love Jandek's music first and foremost. The myth is cool, it's an ingenious marketing experiment for sure. So are various things Negativland did, but I like some of their other music considerably more than what's associated with U2 or Helter Stupid. Jandek put on one of the top 5 or 10 shows I've ever seen, up there with Sonic Youth in '85, Painkiller, and Rocket from the Tombs. I'd agree that the myth has as much to do with the blurry pictures and lack of a bio as the music itself, but I see nothing wrong with an artist creating an (doh, there's that word) original aesthetic. Meanwhile, I love the music. It's a gut level thing I couldn't begin to explain, and I don't really care if other people don't like him. It's not like I could defend his playing musically or anything (at least not on record, live he was so spot on with these seasoned improvisors behind him who'd never played with him before and had the whole room transfixed for two hours straight).
Old 10.19.2008, 02:15 AM   #33
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
the mighty prophets coltrane,tolstoy and vonnegut exhausted all worthwile possibilities
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 04:42 AM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
the mighty prophets coltrane,tolstoy and vonnegut exhausted all worthwile possibilities

Really? You actually want to say that out loud, in public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 07:09 AM   #35
eduveloper
bad moon rising

eduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asses
originality

some person would have claimed the name, so yes
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Originality

some business or legal company would have claimed this sequence of letters spelling originality, so no, it isn't even free to use.

catching up with time on one of those posts, continually adding to what's already there. Always those same molecules, same social forces.
Nah, originality somewhere hidden in a volcano or rare new insect, not for us.

a little creativity is what we should be satisfied with
eduveloper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 08:30 PM   #36
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Really? You actually want to say that out loud, in public?

sure, i'll even repost it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 09:02 PM   #37
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

irony is a dead scene
Old 10.20.2008, 06:12 AM   #38
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 10.20.2008, 07:27 AM   #39
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I think about that kid out driving histrctor and somehow ASSOCIATED THE ROWS OF CROPS WITH THE ROWS OF PIXEL IN A tv
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 12:38 AM   #40
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
I dont think there has ever been an "original" thought in the history of mankind. Everything is just a manipulation of an already pre-existing idea. Houses now replace what was once trees or caves for shelter. Birds are the original musicians. Art is just visual observation. Cavemen painted stories.

Innovation and originality are completely different.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth