Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Billy Corgan Congress
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2009, 10:54 PM   #1
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Billy Corgan testified in front of Congress on revising the Performance Rights Act...

It seems all good to me..I don't understand why young people would think about going into music when so many others are profiting off of their work

http://blogs.suntimes.com/derogatis/...ashington.html
Old 03.11.2009, 07:39 AM   #2
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I don't understand why young people would think about going into music when so many others are profiting off of their work

for the love of it. any creative endeavour where you set out to make a dollar before creating something of worth that is satisfying to yrself and maybe other people, is going to be disappointing for you( most of the time).

the royalties paid out to those who work in the music industry far exceed those paid to any other creative or performance artist... the avenues for receiving those royalties are set up in a far superior way to any other type of performing or visual art I can think of? Except maybe movie actors. The amount of highly paid, or even appropriately paid movie actors though I would think is much less than those who in the music biz.. Just a guess though.
Old 03.11.2009, 03:32 PM   #3
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I just hope that the whole dynamic changes for young independent bands. Not for the Celines, SP or mega acts of the world. But for the smaller band. It is soul destroying to have someone download your music that you worked so hard on...Even more so for commercial entities to get profit off of your work
Old 03.11.2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"don't give away what you can sell"
Old 03.11.2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix

the royalties paid out to those who work in the music industry far exceed those paid to any other creative or performance artist... the avenues for receiving those royalties are set up in a far superior way to any other type of performing or visual art I can think of? Except maybe movie actors. The amount of highly paid, or even appropriately paid movie actors though I would think is much less than those who in the music biz.. Just a guess though.

Eek. At one extreme, the money is there, and there's a shitload of it. But how to get there? Run through endless fields of endless shit.

My own experience of playing live is that there's a series of entirely ridiculous economies at play. Playing functions and DJing have never failed to be lucrative for me. Playing something more creative (for which read: playing in front of ugly, poor, white people) has never been profitable. I've only ever drank more than I got paid for 'my own' gigs, although the difference is solely in the function of the music.

Right at the bottom of the creative music industry, there's loads of shit (whether inept or outright cunts) promoters, shit labels and shit bands (amoungst other shit aspects of music). At the top, there's a well-greased machine of shit. In between is mostly shit. And yet, here I am, listening to records and shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 07:48 PM   #6
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
for the love of it. any creative endeavour where you set out to make a dollar before creating something of worth that is satisfying to yrself and maybe other people, is going to be disappointing for you( most of the time).

Really like this point you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"don't give away what you can sell"

lol.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 09:51 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I wish someone would put a hole in Corgan's head.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:45 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
corgan couldnt even give away stuff to me let alone me buying it....
Old 03.12.2009, 08:16 PM   #9
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Right at the bottom of the creative music industry, there's loads of shit (whether inept or outright cunts) promoters, shit labels and shit bands (amoungst other shit aspects of music). At the top, there's a well-greased machine of shit. In between is mostly shit. And yet, here I am, listening to records and shit.

Indeed, I agree... Though that "the industry" defiantly missed a trick not adapting to emerging media I think the core problem is people are caring less and less about music... Work, myspace and the media have me believe that all people give a shit about is what pointless thing is happening on Skins and some cunt called Jade Goody. Also where I'm from people are evolvong in thick necked goits... people have got to learn how to express themselves and be creative and free without some eastenders automated response. Maybe I'm closed off and a cynic. but i think if people cared and had a stake then there would be more value in it. perhaps digressing from the point... but this might always be the case

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth