Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #16: Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2009, 07:18 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Wu-Tang Clan
Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Loud Records, 1993

I just spent a long, long time typing a very long and elaborate essay on this album. But then I highlighted it and deleted. In truth, I've written about this album before and gotten paid to do so. But when I did it then, it was a lot of y'know -- critical prose?

I guess what I want to say here is this: I remember so vividly what it was like when this album came out. It was (to paraphrase GZA's LIQUID SWORDS) the Autumn that everything changed. Suddenly every rap magazine lost interest in the West Coast, G-Funk, etc. There was a very serious excitement about the East Coast. Party rap was out. NOBODY knew who these dudes were (seriously, Ghostface wore a fucking mask for a WHILE!) but there were soooooo many of them. And they were on this new unheard of label. And they were dropping tons of singles. And getting ltitle to no airplay. But everyone had a dubbed tape. It was just this really weird... buzz?

And I very vividly remember listening to the album for the first time. It was so intense an experience. And really think about how intimidating it was to hear eight completely individualized new personalities at once (that was an UNHEARD of size for a rap crew at the time). This wasn't like hearing about Biggie, or Nas, or etc for the first time and getting to know their certain style. This was learning a giant cast of new voices. But it was thrilling.

And bottomline: it still is to this day. ENTER THE WU-TANG is a pretty unparalelled record it scope, vision and execution. The journey thru the 36 Chambers is not unlike a tour of the Seven Circles Of Hell. Although admittedly I guess it is more fun.

Like I said, I could really spend serious time discussing what is so Musically and Lyrically enthralling about this record. But I don't want to. Not here. Not now. I just want to say that if yr a fan of hip hop, you Must own this. And if you even have a passing interest in hip hop, you Must own this. And if you don't like hip hop, maybe you should give this a shot. Because it's really an Experience worth Experiencing if you haven't. And if you have, you're probably revisited it a million times like I have and never felt it diminishing in kicking you in the fucking guts.
Old 08.11.2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
I was getting ready to call Wu ''overrated'' in the other thread, and then I thought about buying this album when it came out and deleted their name.

I remember when I bought the 12 inch of ''protect yr neck'' and it blew my mind. When i bought the album i sent ion for a skully cap and t-shirt through their mail order stub. Literally like six months passed and i hadn't gotten anything, I figured these unknown assholes got over on me and then like two weeks later the package came with a signed photo for the long wait.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 07:47 PM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
that's awesome man.

It's almost easy to think of them as overrated if yr thinking about the overall output now (of course there are great exceptions), but really like you said thinking back to the actual impact of this record -- you knew when it was happening, that something important was happening to hip hop.
Old 08.11.2009, 08:01 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
this album rivals criminal minded, strictly business and it takes a nation of millions.

those are fucking MASTERPIECES.
wu-tang clan ain't nothin' to fuck with.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses

W
ittyUnpredictable-TalentAndNaturalGame

In all honesty its sad to listen to their past few records, just sad. This was a crew that represented the lexicon of grit and street credit in hip-hop delivery, yet they never put out an album as good as Enter 36 and never will, especially since the Dirt Dog isn't around. I know the purpose behind Wu was to spawn dope solo records (Liquid Swords-Gza, Return To The 36 chambers-ODB, Tical-Method Man, Ironman-Ghostface, Only Built For Cuban Linx-Raekwon etc...) But its just sad to see that THEY as a whole cannot live up to their legacy, at least not so far.
Old 08.12.2009, 02:09 AM   #7
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
okay, so I've never heard any of the members' solo albums, y'all keen on recommending me some that's really great? I heard that Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx" is a true masterpiece.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 07:03 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Liquid Swords
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Tical
Supreme Clientele
Return To The 36 Chambers

are the recognized classics...

No Said Date
and Pretty Toney are two of my personal favs that are a bit overlooked
Old 08.12.2009, 07:05 AM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

in response to Shifty, its true that they will never get to the level of ENTER again. But Nas will never make another Illmatic. Mobb Deep will never make another INFAMOUS.

To me it's not really sad. It is what it is. There's been so many amazing Wu-related records since then. And group-wise there's been some very close to top form work:

The W - is a lo-fi masterpiece. Probably the closest thing to ENTER.
Wu-Tang Forever - is fantastic, if a little bloated
Wu-Tang Meets The Indie Culture - is incredibly solid
8 Diagrams - is interesting, and mostly succeeds.
Old 08.12.2009, 07:06 AM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yes

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Shifty Prophet
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
okay, so I've never heard any of the members' solo albums, y'all keen on recommending me some that's really great? I heard that Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx" is a true masterpiece.

Slavo, the following represent the best solo albums by various members,enjoy.

Genius/GZA - ''Liquid Swords''

Ghostface Killah - ''Ironman'' or ''Supreme Clientele''

Rza - ''As Bobby Digital''

Raekwon - ''Only Built For Cuban Linx''

Ol' Dirty Bastard - ''Return To The 36 Chambers''

Method Man - ''Tical''
Old 08.12.2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Shifty Prophet
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
in response to Shifty, its true that they will never get to the level of ENTER again. But Nas will never make another Illmatic. Mobb Deep will never make another INFAMOUS.

To me it's not really sad. It is what it is. There's been so many amazing Wu-related records since then. And group-wise there's been some very close to top form work:

The W - is a lo-fi masterpiece. Probably the closest thing to ENTER.
Wu-Tang Forever - is fantastic, if a little bloated
Wu-Tang Meets The Indie Culture - is incredibly solid
8 Diagrams - is interesting, and mostly succeeds.

This is where I agree to disagree
Old 08.12.2009, 07:12 AM   #13
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet

Genius/GZA - ''Liquid Swords''

Ghostface Killah - ''Ironman'' or ''Supreme Clientele''

Rza - ''As Bobby Digital''

Raekwon - ''Only Built For Cuban Linx''

Ol' Dirty Bastard - ''Return To The 36 Chambers''

Method Man - ''Tical''

thanks dude, will check them out

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 07:20 AM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet

My version (featuring all one-time core members)...

Rza - Bobby Digital, 6 Feet Deep (with Gravediggaz)
Gza - Liquid Swords
Ol Dirty Bastard - Return To The 36 Chambers
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
U-God - (has yet to make a good solo album)
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele, Ironman, Pretty Toney
Method Man - Tical
Masta Killa - No Said Date
Cappadonna - The Pillage
Old 08.12.2009, 07:28 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"(has yet to make a good solo album)"

haha.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 07:35 AM   #16
noisereductions
invito al cielo

just being honest. I bought Golden Arms Redemption, Mr. Excitement, and his album with The Hillside Stranglaz. They were all terrible.

His whole style is built upon dropping incredibly short, strong verses. Usually less than 8 bars. So it works against him to try to make a SOLO album to begin with. It's just not his style.
Old 08.12.2009, 07:41 AM   #17
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
My favourite will always be Liquid Swords, that's the best hip hop record I've ever heard. Eerie, creepy, intelligent and with great production.

I still love 36 Chambers though. It was the first Wu-Tang related thing I had heard and wasn't very into it, but I went back to it after Liquid Swords and realised it's maybe JUST as good!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 07:53 AM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I think Liquid is on par with Enter. It is probably the closest in sound/style to Enter. And it took a decade for another solo album to regain that same feel again (NO SAID DATE). Liquid Swords is indeed incredible.

I'd also recommend the first volume of the Wu-Chronicles to fans of Enter/Liquid... the tracks selected on that particular volume make for an excellent companion-piece (as far as Rza's production work goes).
Old 08.12.2009, 08:37 AM   #19
Shifty Prophet
100%

Agreed on the equality of Liquid Swords and 36 Chambers.

NR, I wasn't trying to sound nostalgic, but I relaize I need to clarify my point.

If a group makes a master piece, and two other ''ok/decent/good'' albums, then follows that with three shit records, it is sad. I know there are loads of solo mixtapes and solo records that capture the vibe of vintage Wu Tang, but the purpose of having a crew is to put shit out as a crew and keep it fresh.

With that said, you are right Nas will never duplicate Illmatic, but he's released great albums, at least more good than bad. Mobb Deep, well whatever, I look at this group and it stops at Murda Muzik with me, I considered them broken up after that. My point is that when the output of a artist or group is overrun with below par releases, its sad, you know they are capable of much more and have come to expect it.

Look at SY, they have consistently released quality album after album, always moving forward and staying fresh. If Wu could have done that, they would be in the runnings for best hip hop/rap crew of all time. Instead, we have a debut masterpiece (which is still better than a lot of people) and a handful of other albums that sound like they don't really give a shit anymore.
Old 08.12.2009, 09:00 AM   #20
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah I hear you. What are the 3 consecutive shit albums yr speaking of though, just so I understand?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth