Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bullet-belt-friendly zone: It's the Heavy Metal Survey Thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
metallic satanic school boy rock n' metal. who cares.

everything isnt intended to fit neatly into a labeled box. some things can fit nicely into more than one box.
I could say anything and you'd react against it. Why? I think you're just a reactionary-fuck.

AC/DC do not fit in the category 'metal'.
It's an uneducated, 'I only own Back in Black', comment.

I'd classify AC/DC more as hard rock than metal or heavy metal, but anyway I think swa(y) has got a point.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: ace of spades - motorhead
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: motorhead
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: ace of spades
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: highway star - deep purple
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: bon scott era AC/DC (yeah yeah i know they're ROCK not METAL but you know what, i couldn't think of shit to put here and for some fucking stupid reason they always get lumped into that genre by retarded journalists)
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: ???
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: AC/DC
8. British or American: british
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): they don't have any!
Old 01.02.2008, 11:08 AM   #23
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre:
Motorhead - "Ace of Spades"

2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre:
Motorhead

3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island:
Motorhead - "No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith"

4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance:
Sabbath - "Paranoid"

5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink:
-

6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are:
The Sisters of Mercy

7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are:
Too many to mention just one (EDIT - Okay then: Status Quo)

8. British or American:
British

9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers):
Eliminator Jr
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 11:58 AM   #24
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
oh you know i forgot about eliminator jr.
youre right.
Old 01.02.2008, 01:39 PM   #25
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Both true, but to say 'just' is a bit unfair. K K Downing and Glenn Tipton are widely recognised as pretty much laying down the blueprint for Thrash with their 'twin-guitar' style.

of course it's not "just", as i said, they are massively influential; still, most of their style comes from the more frenetic parts of sabbath. their introduction of the twin guitar attack has more to do with the obscurer strand of british blues rock like wishbone ash and bloodwyn pig, who themselves were influenced by sabbath.

--

i don't really consider alice cooper metal, except on influential impact, but the music was far more expansive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
When I think of bullet belts, I think of Ted Nugent. Don't know for sure if he ever wore any onstage though. Hey, does anybody know if BulletBoys (haha, remember that crap act?) ever wore bullet belts?

the nuge was more into the loincloth, wasn't he? and the bulletboys, hahahaha, they were like bon jovi with worse songs, they didn't wear bulletbelts.

motörhead, thrash and black metal bands are mostly the ones who wear/wore bullet belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: too fast for love, which, is a very "punk rock" album as far as im concerned. heavy metal works for it too though.

word.

---

about ac/dc, they are kinda like rock but, coming at a certain time, they had to be lumped somewhere and stayed there, and that genre was heavy metal; they are coming more from the chuck berry school of rock, though. it's hilarious when a generic metalhead is exposed to, say, the cramps and acts all macho like "uhh, i can't stand this shit, what the fuck?!" and then ac/dc is played and goes "fuck yeah! this is music"

i don't like ac/dc at almost all, but they put on a hell of a good show, they can fucking play live with balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: highway star - deep purple
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 01:55 PM   #26
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

were you gonna comment on my love for highway star?
Old 01.02.2008, 03:40 PM   #27
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: Black Sabbath
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: Boris - Amplifier Worship
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: Death - Painkiller
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: Metallica - Hit the Lights
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: Black Flag (late period)
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: Deep Purple
8. British or American: ...
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): Eliminator Jr.
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 04:10 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: BLACK SABBATH
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: BLACK SABBATH
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: BLACK SABBATH
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: BLACK SABBATH
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: nothing makes me drink.
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: don't know
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: Led Zeppelin
8. British or American: both
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): none
Old 01.02.2008, 04:17 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's interesting that so many of you are saying that Sabbath 'define' the genre. Although it's obviously wrong to say that any band can fully 'define' a genre but I always think Sabbath (although Massive in influence) only really represent a certain strand (not much evidence of Hair/Glam Metal, for example) Judas Priest, who for some reason have become deeply unfashionable compared to a band like Sabbath, have covered most bases and are far more of a link to bands like Guns n Roses, as well as providing an explicit link to the likes of Metallica and Megadeth. The British Steel album alone manages to anticipate most of the key Metal sub-genres in about 35 minutes. Not a big deal, just thinking aloud I suppose.

sabbath CREATED heavy metal, in all respects. they purposely sought to make deeply HEAVY music that scared the shit out of you.

Sabbath is the epitome of it all. the main thing judas priest did or iron maiden did that changed metal was add that second lead guitar. (fuck the "style" bullshit.) Sabbath did EVERYTHING first, the rifs, the wailing vocal, the pounding drums, th odd breaks from heavy pummeling to light "classical" guitar playing ( a la the break in the middle of supernaut). Sabbath is the motherload, the sun source, it is sinanju.
hair and glam metal are metal by default, and owe everything metal in them to Sabbath. all the floppy frou frou bullshit they owe to that british fuckface david Bowie and his fucking fashion first bullshit.
Old 01.02.2008, 04:23 PM   #30
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
1. Black Sabbath - Iron Man
2. SLAAAAAYYYEERRRRR!!!!! (pronounced like that)
3. desert islands aren't metal
4. usually the ones played after the ones that make you drink
5. usually the ones played before the ones that make you dance
6. ?
7. Whatever, ask Manowar
8. American
9. Non-Metal Dude Wearing Metal Tee
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 04:28 PM   #31
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Man, I hate AC/DC, but they are the most fucking ROCK band in the world. Metal and rock are entirely different worlds, no matter how you cut it.

'Word'.

AC/DC have powerful riffs, but that don't make them a metal band. Everything about them is 'Rock'.
Old 01.02.2008, 07:47 PM   #32
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
were you gonna comment on my love for highway star?

ohh, shit! my "word" got lost.

love the band and that's one of my favorite songs by them.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 01:35 PM   #33
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeonguitar
Heh. I'm not up to par with any metal/punk knowledge, so I'm not doing these surveys.

I want to just drop my $.02 if anyone will listen. I think it's very easy to see AC/DC and immediately think, "Heavy metal? No." in this day and age. That is, I believe, because the category of heavy metal is for the majority filled with more modern (i.e., heavier) bands and sub-genre bands (black metal, death metal, grindcore, whatever) that embody the immediate epitome of "heavy metal." If that was confusing, what I meant to say cleanly is: the contemporary heavy metal is much heavier than it was in the past.

Thus, heavy metal from the 60's-80's is almost classic rock or just rock to a lot of people right now, I believe. This, once again in my opinion, is because the stuff today is ridiculously heavier than it was 30 years ago. But, conversely, living in the 70's as a 30 year old average joe, the opinion of "Damn! AC/DC is some heavy music!" was probably common. So, that was their heavy metal.

Again I stress, that's just an opinion. Means shit.

I completely follow you and agree...that is, except for the part about today's hard rock being so much heavier. I get your meaning that the music of today has heavier crunch and more rapid sledgehammering guitars though. Listening to some numetal or death metal or whatever metal these days is a visceral experience physically, (something Metallica began more or less) but the music is not "heavier." The metal of today is bullshit; formulaic styles, modern equipment and production techniques have taken the place of actual music and fucking heavy duty dirty-ass rock 'n roll. There is no comparison. Classic hard rock offers great tunes. The heavy rock of today offers nothing but a screaming idiot and headbanging bombast. Some of classic rock's lyrics may be not great poetry, but at least they are tuneful. By contrast what's out there today has shit for vocals & laughable lyrics. There are no more frontmen. There are no more really great heavy ROCK guitarists. Hard ROCK is a dinosaur; it's fucking extinct.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 04:21 PM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre:
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre:
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island:
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance:
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink:
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are:
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are:
8. British or American:
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers):

1. slayer - raining blood, high on fire - devilution
2. slayer, maybe, although sabbath is probably the right answer
3. darkthrone - transylvanian hunger
4. sepultura - roots, or anything by OM
5. life makes me want to booze, not music
7. AC/DC, all those bands like pelican and capricorns that are just heavier versions of mogwai
8. what about the norwegians and the swedes? even the french are tearing shit up at the moment. these days the americans are making a lot more good metal that the brits
9. none really, but if forced to choose i'd say chapel hill
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 05:07 PM   #35
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: 'Lord of This World' by Black Sabbath

2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: Black Sabbath

3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: Black Sabbath (s/t; 1970)

4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: 'Rocka Rolla' (1974) by Judas Priest

5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: Anything off Motorhead's Ace of Spades--even the back-cover photo puts you in the mood.

6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: in recent years, Soundgarden (who were too intelligent to let themselves be associated with the bullshit that's considered 'heavy metal' over the past 20 to 25 years); of the classic bands, the heavier side of King Crimson (e.g., '21st Century Schizoid Man', 'Larks' Tongues in Aspic--Part One'). It also worth noting that I never saw The Stooges, MC5, Alice Cooper, The Amboy Dukes and the other classic Detroit acts referred to as 'punk' or 'proto-punk' until the mid '80s. I'm old enough to remember when those bands were constantly referred to as 'heavy metal' or 'raunch 'n' roll'.

7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: Any of the thrash, speed, glam, and rap-metal of the past 25 years--all that stuff is hard rock, glam/glitter rock, punk, hardcore, and quasi-hip-hop. If Ratt, Quiet Riot and Motley Crue are heavy metal, then so are T. Rex, Slade and Aerosmith. If Venom, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth are heavy metal, then so are The Misfits, Rollins-era Black Flag, D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies. At best, thrash is a genre in itself; at worst, its a more macho or right-wing version of punk or hardcore. Limp Bizkit and similar idiotic junk is more in the vein of hip-hop--the worst side of hip-hop (hate that term, by the way). As far as I'm concerned, the last three actual heavy metal bands who considered themselves 'heavy metal' were Trouble (from the U.S.), post-Paul D'ianno Iron Maiden (from the U.K.), and Anvil from here in Canada. I don't know of any new major heavy metal band appearing after 1984.

8. British or American: British

9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): 'Titanium Expose'--it would have fit in perfectly on Black Sabbath Volume 4. Dirty and Sonic Nurse could probably be construed as their most 'heavy metal' albums.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 06:40 PM   #37
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: Sir Lord Baltimore, who I believe were the first band to be referred to with this term in the press.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 08:10 PM   #38
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: Sir Lord Baltimore, who I believe were the first band to be referred to with this term in the press.

I thought it was Sabbath with "the sound of two pieces of metal clashing together" from a review about them?

A quick search on wiki, says it was a review of Baltimore's Kingdom Come album that got the heavy metal quote.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:52 PM   #39
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is awesome.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:57 PM   #40
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: Master of Puppets
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: Metallica
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: Too Fast for Love
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: Livin' after Midnight
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: Heaven and Hell (Dio-era Sabbath)
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: Some Ministry reaches metal proportions
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: Bon Jovi
8. British or American: American
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): the third part of Trilogy. That it's Kim makes it even more metal.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth