Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page World Music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.09.2007, 09:32 AM   #241
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

Mexico - Fiestas of Chiapas and Oaxaca

A wonderful disc of traditional music from Nonesuch Explorer series.

http://rapidshare.com/files/26444526...axaca.zip.html
Old 08.09.2007, 09:33 AM   #242
sarramkrop

That looks like lovely stuff. Muchas gracias senor.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 08:08 PM   #243
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Anybody have any recommendations for a compilation of Romani music? My attempts to track stuff down at local record stores have all yielded fusiony new age world garbage. Can someone help me find the real shit?

p.s. I'm not looking for flamenco, though fine music it is.
Old 08.11.2007, 03:49 AM   #244
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Flamenco, here's a great album by Ramón Montoya someone posted to the I Hate Music board. Beautiful stuff.

http://rs91.rapidshare.com/files/42335704/montoya.sitx
Old 08.11.2007, 03:52 AM   #245
hat and beard
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh

Chidambaram-bangbang-boom-chk-boom

"Recordings from 2000-1 and affiliated to the temple of
Chidambaram (dedicated to Shiva but also to Vishnu), the ritual music
ensemble Periya Mêlam sounds vibrant and penetrating with its
nagasvaram oboes, tavil drums and talam castanets, the voice of the
gods."

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LXJSQWK4

I've listened to this about five times in the last two days. Awesome.
Old 08.11.2007, 01:27 PM   #246
hazel
empty page

hazel has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Well, of course not. Yuppies don't listen to world music anyway! They listen to Barry Manilow.

Well, the yuppie line is certainly blurred in brooklyn ..here the under-40 yups like sonic youth, and complain about cbgb's closing, amongst other things. SY is part of mainstream culture finaly ..the cool class has quadrupled in size since when SY started
hazel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 03:53 AM   #247
sarramkrop

Black Umfolosi, Zimbabwean vocal group and dance troupe.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/newsounds/episodes/2007/08/16
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 04:21 AM   #248
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
Anybody have any recommendations for a compilation of Romani music? My attempts to track stuff down at local record stores have all yielded fusiony new age world garbage. Can someone help me find the real shit?

p.s. I'm not looking for flamenco, though fine music it is.

It's painful to say, but the rough guide to the Balkans is a really good one. Some of those rough guides are pretty tepid, but there's some amazing stuff on that one.

Also, as far as strictly Romani music goes, you really can't go wrong with Taraf de Haidouks

Incidentally, I'm on a borrowed computer at the moment, but I'll have my own sorted in time, and I'll up some stuff of intrest then. I have some wonderful Aboriginal music that should really be listened to by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 04:29 AM   #249
sarramkrop

Check out this mongolian traditional music. It's a pity that the clip is so short, it made me weep tears of joy when I've first heard it, and I wish there was more information about who's playing and who's singing. Wonderful stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJe2...elated&search=
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 10:09 AM   #250
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. That's beautiful.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 10:36 AM   #251
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Mikis Theodorakis - Resistance (Historic Recordings From The Underground And Exile)

Mikis Theodorakis (born July 29, 1925) is perhaps the most important Greek music composer of the 20th century, and one of the most significant in the world.
Politically, until the collapse of the military junta in 1974, he identified with the left; in 1990 he became a member of parliament with the centre-right New Democracy party, a move which since, he has said to regret. He has consistently opposed oppressive regimes.
He is known internationally for his scores in the Hollywood films, "Zorba the Greek" (1964) and "Serpico" (1973).

The sound documents published on the album "Resistance" were recorded during the dictatorship of the colonels in Greece, following the military coup of April 21, 1967.

They are at once music and lived resistance. They are a scream, desperation and hope.

Recorded on a simple tape recorder under circumstances of illegality, house arrest, banishment. A testimony to circumstances in which life, death and dignity were at stake.

Mikis Theodorakis - Resistance (Historic Recordings)
(160 kbps, front cover included, ca. 86 MB)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2007, 04:28 AM   #252
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There's loads of Hurdy-Gurdy stuff on youtube. I've picked some of the ones I like. I'm sorry again that I don't have the technological ability to contribute proper uploads to this thread, but I'll up a gash-load of stuff as soon as I do.

This one moved from the bottom to the top. It's real shame the audio is rubbish, this is great. A website for this band. ANYONE SPEAK HUNGARIAN?
Hurdy Gurdy
Mo' Hurdy Gurdy
Hurdy Gurdy on NY tube, it looks like
Probably wankers playing Hurdy-Gurdy, but pleasant nonetheless
Getting bored of Hurdy-Gurdy yet?
I could happily listen to Hurdy-Gurdy for hours, it seems..

Incidentally, while I'm here, Marras and myself were talking about setting up a forum for (want of a better name) 'world music'. The first port of call is some description that's slightly less despicable and suggestive of Sting than 'world music'. Secondly, is anyone else interested in helping set-up/ maintain such a thing?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.

Last edited by Glice : 08.29.2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Spacky layout
Old 08.29.2007, 01:45 PM   #253
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I would be willing to help in any way I can.

Let me defend the title 'world music' for a moment: you know what it refers to.

Semantics, semantics...
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2007, 02:10 PM   #254
Glice
invito al cielo

Yes, yes, that wasn't a criticism of this thread title. It'd be great to have you on board actually. And I suppose a name for the forum isn't the most pressing concern. I just have reservations about that Sting side of things.

Quote:
Old 08.29.2007, 03:24 PM   #255
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
There is a lack of good web sites that work as portal for (ahem) global sounds on the net. I'm interested in what you and Pork propose.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2007, 03:27 PM   #256
hat and beard
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

I liked this one quite a lot until he started with the effects processor thingy. Kind of ruined it for me. The instrument sounds cool enough as is.

I'm super down for a world music board. Don't know how I can help really, as I'm pretty useless when it comes to computers, but you guys have my support however you need it.
Maybe "non-anglo/american folk music" is a better description of what the term world music tries to convey, especially since last time I checked England and America were still part of the world. Though I guess since non-English pop music also falls under the world music category much of the time it can't really be called folk music.
Old 08.30.2007, 08:33 AM   #257
Glice
invito al cielo

And there's a fine tradition of Morris dancing/ sea shanties and the like which don't come under the ambit of non-Anglo/American 'folk music' in the popular consciousness but are still very much English folk traditions. That's not to mention the various Welsh, Scottish and Irish traditions - what's the difference between Egyptian/ Arabic/ Eastern-European bagpipe music and the bagpipe music of Ireland/ Scotland?

Perhaps something focussing on folk traditions? Which of course excludes new music, which would leave out soca, soukous and highlife (not to mention a fair few other things. You see the problem?

But yes, Mr Beard also more than welcome. It'd be nice if someone with a bit of net-nous could do some leg-work (although I have a designer mate who may be able to step in) and have the peeps from here as admin-y types.

Quote:
Old 08.31.2007, 02:51 PM   #258
Glice
invito al cielo

Sea Shanties.

I was upping them for a mate, but you reprobates might as well have them.

Quote:
Old 09.10.2007, 12:28 PM   #259
hat and beard
stalker

Great new blog: http://endofworldmusic.blogspot.com/

Quote:

Here's some Sinawi music from Korea, an interesting improvised traditional form, used to accompany Shaman rites, that I don't know that much about. Something very fascinating about it, is the sonic resemblance, at times, to free-jazz and western improvisational styles. The strident timbres and large pitch-bends are always a treat, as in other Korean styles like sanjo.

There are other goodies at the root site, but there's a lot, without very much accompanying information. Look for Daegum and Kayagum sanjo pieces! (English spellings may vary)

Maybe you guys who want to start a world music board should get in contact with this guy. Dude knows his shit / seems to be coming from a similar point of view (read his introductory post).
Old 09.11.2007, 08:09 AM   #260
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
Great new blog: http://endofworldmusic.blogspot.com/

Maybe you guys who want to start a world music board should get in contact with this guy. Dude knows his shit / seems to be coming from a similar point of view (read his introductory post).
Thanks a lot for that. I'm checking it out and see what happens.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth