Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Are they doing a 20th anniversary version of Nevermind?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2011, 07:41 PM   #21
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
bebop junkie i enjoy your long grunge posts. especially you into yer schtick/layne staley post which i thought was fantastic.

can't believe you think WTLO wasn't great tho. ok -the mastering was ATROCIOUS, to the point of ruining some songs completely. but they put in a lot of effort and chose versions of songs that hadn't been bootlegged loads already. all in all it was a decent effort. it should have just wrapped up the loose ends completely and had ALL the remaining songs we haven't heard ever like 'ivy league' and 'the son'.
I'll mention some things that i don't like about "With The Lights Out". Hopefully my instance on it will be clear after that: The artwork is awful and gives me the impression some lazy person was involved in that department. The box-set includes songs with participation from Chad Channing, Mark Lanegan and Mark Pickerel, for instance, and i certainly consider it an accurate depiction of Nirvana's evolution; but a lame picture of the most famous incarnation of the band, which doesn't make any sense in regards to providing a context of what the box-set is about, just makes me think that they did the easiest thing next to just printing the logo on a blank or black background and then send it to the stores. When it was initially mentioned that an antology would be released, there were rumours that it was gonna be a heart-shaped box-set, but it never materialized. There probably aren't too many pieces of graphic work (other than Kurt Cobain's paintings and shit) that could be creatively used for packaging, but my point still stands and not only regarding "With The Lights Out". I think that fucking best-of for which they weren't able to assemble a cover or even pull off a decent title, it's also noteworthy in the same aspect. Then the mastering and mixing doesn't really satisfy me in quite a few songs. You have used the word "atrocious" to refer to the results, and i have to say i strongly agree with you. I also think that the fact that they didn't bother to use the master tapes in some cases, taking instead dubious cassette tapes as sources, is a very despicable move.

There surely are some songs that i enjoyed hearing for the first time, especially those rough sessions that were the gestation for "In Utero", but i somehow feel that the people in charge of that project didn't take a deeper look on the archives, and pretty much just went ahead in taking the money off the bootlegers by making official stuff that was already available relatively easily in unofficial records such as the "Outcesticide" and "Into The Black" compilations. In this case, speculation nurtures my opinion, but it does so to the point that i have the impression that, if they actually release another artifact to celebrate the anniversary of "Nevermind", they might as well just snag the content of "Loose Ends" and/or "The Chosen Rejects" and put the damn thing on sale, mixed differently, sounding bombastic, with a cover consisting of a shitty photo taken from the lamest Nirvana-oriented tumblr page (note the irony here); some people on the internet have done it better for many years. Yeah, i doubt they'll release too much from the tapes that are hiding on safety boxes, because they gotta save the golden goose for future releases. After all, it does seem the interest in Nirvana is far from getting to the end of its days (I know i'm still interested). I'd eat my shorts if "Ivy League", "The Son", or "Song in D" and all the other jams and still obscure Nirvana songs that have caused interest for years, is actually released soon.

Anyway, i won't deny there are good things that "With The Lights Out" actually has to offer, musically and otherwise. Right now i don't feel necessary to diss Thurston Moore's liner notes, or the chronology included in the booklet. I won't throw the DVD right into the flames at this point, either (Why make this post any longer?). All in all, i gotta say i strongly agree with you in considering it just a decent artifact, after all is said and done. Unless we'd actually have different concepts of the two words. I don't think "decent" would be a rightful equivalent of "great" for you, or am i wrong?
Old 06.23.2011, 10:07 AM   #22
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Bump.

20th ANNIVERSARY OF NIRVANA'S "NEVERMIND" ALBUM
CELEBRATED WITH A DELUXE EDITION IN SEPTEMBER
Released in September of 1991, Nirvana's Nevermind garnered near-unanimous praise and rose within a few months to the No. 1 slot on Billboard's U.S. sales chart. Nevermind was propelled to No. 1 across the globe by their young fans worldwide that identified with the band and embraced their anthem "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and its landmark music video. Since then, it has sold more than 30 million albums.

Universal Music Enterprises is pleased to announce the 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition of Nirvana's Nevermind available September 19, 2011, in the U.K. and September 20, 2011, in North America. The CDs will include previously unreleased recordings, rarities, b-sides, BBC radio appearances, alternative mixes, rare live recordings and an unreleased concert in its entirety on DVD.
The 20th anniversary will be marked throughout the year, with various events and releases.

http://www.nirvana.com

Old 06.23.2011, 10:21 AM   #23
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I guess you could say that I should be in marketing?!?! Or perhaps I am psychic?!?!?!?!?!?!
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 10:29 AM   #24
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

I'd go with the psychic option, now would you bet the concert included in the DVD is gonna be the Halloween of 1991 PRO-SHOT (I've always wanted it in its entirety)? Which other possibilities are there? Let the speculation begin.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 10:33 AM   #25
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Just wait for my next award winning thread about Incesticide 42 CD/21 DVD box set in mono........
Old 06.23.2011, 10:35 AM   #26
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I'd go with the psychic option, now would you bet the concert included in the DVD is gonna be the Halloween of 1991 PRO-SHOT

I predict you will be happy with the choices they make!!!
Old 06.23.2011, 11:35 AM   #27
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Just wait for my next award winning thread about Incesticide 42 CD/21 DVD box set in mono........
I would be interested in checking something like that. Unreleased odds and sods would be a lot more interesting to me at this point, than listening for the millionth time to the BBC Sessions, despite the fact that they're great.

Quote:
I predict you will be happy with the choices they make!!!
Hopefully, because it would be awful to end up truly dissatisfied with an artifact that surely is gonna be a bit pricey. At the moment i'm thinking that maybe it would be neat to not include the BBC appearances mentioned, especially if they potentially will leave out some unreleased material. I'm waiting for a track-list to decide which are gonna be my general emotions about this release.
Old 07.19.2011, 11:58 PM   #28
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Bump.

Spin magazine is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's "Nevermind" by assembling i suppose some of the hippest bands alive (plus The Meat Puppets and The Vaselines) to cover the whole record:

http://www.spin.com/articles/free-album-spin-tribute-nirvanas-nevermind?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=socia l&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

If you are willing to kill some brain cells by listening to it, you've gotta like Spin on facemook in order to have them send you a download link via e-mail. Optionally, if you wouldn't wanna go through such a pain and still would wanna hear this, you could grab it either from here or here.
Old 07.20.2011, 07:27 AM   #29
The Watcher
children of satan

Except for the meat puppets and The Vaseline's I've never heard of a single one of those bands ha ha ha...... thanks for the link I could use a good chuckle on my way in to work this morning.......
Old 07.20.2011, 07:33 AM   #30
The Watcher
children of satan

I don't even have a facebook..... Those jokers at Spin Magazine!!
Old 07.20.2011, 07:40 AM   #31
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
"Beginning on July 26, the album will be available for free download on this page"

EDIT: to The Watcher, you don't need facebook you can download it here as the hipster posted.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 05:58 PM   #32
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Some news regarding the content of the remastered version of this, but not links to pre-order:

The limited, numbered Super Deluxe Edition only 10,000 copies available in North America, and another 30,000 for the rest of the world. The Super Deluxe features the original remastered album and accompanying studio and live B-sides, the first full official release of the pre-Nevermind demos recorded at producer Butch Vig's Smart Studios, as well as boombox recordings of subsequent rehearsals. The Super Deluxe also includes a new perspective on the finished Nevermind album exclusive to the Super DE t in the form of the Devonshire Mixes: the album as produced and mixed by Vig as opposed to the final version produced by Vig and mixed by Andy Wallace. Also on the Super Deluxe are a pair of previously unreleased BBC recordings and the 1991 Paramount show available for the first time and exclusive to this format on CD and DVD (which also features all four music videos from Nevermind), as well as a stunning 90-page bound book full of rarely and never- before-seen photos, documents and various other visual artifacts of the Nevermind era.

The Paramount concert, transferred from 16mm film and multi-track audio, is the only known Nirvana concert shot to film and will be available in a 1080p high-definition picture and uncompressed 5.1 surround sound and stereo on stand-alone Blu-ray, along with DVD and digital long form video formats.

Old 07.26.2011, 11:45 PM   #33
The Watcher
children of satan

I almost forgot to mention..... that compilation was the queerest thing I've ever heard!! What the fuck is wrong with everybody!?!?!!? I laughed so much on the way to work people on the subway thought I was a crazy person!!!! People that make music these days need a swift kick in the balls.........
Old 07.27.2011, 04:02 AM   #34
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
i quite like Amanda Palmer's version of Polly

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2011, 12:19 AM   #35
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

The track-list for the super deluxe edition has been revealed, and it's lame:
http://pitchfork.com/news/43334-neve...list-revealed/
Old 07.28.2011, 01:00 PM   #36
The Watcher
children of satan

I changed my mind. I want to see a four disc version of Badmotorfinger with demos and b-sides and the covers EP.

1991!!
Old 07.28.2011, 04:29 PM   #37
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
I changed my mind. I want to see a four disc version of Badmotorfinger with demos and b-sides and the covers EP.

1991!!

According to some sources, there is plenty of unreleased Soundgarden material that would be enough to fit on a killer box-set. They could release it at some point, and it might as well be assembled using the Pearl Jam method for last year's reissue of "Ten", which the people on charge of Nirvana seems to be following very loyally with this "Nevermind" reissue.
Old 07.28.2011, 06:54 PM   #38
The Watcher
children of satan

Now that would be an interesting set...... I tell you, even rough demos of Thayil would be worth hearing.......
Old 07.28.2011, 07:12 PM   #39
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
Now that would be an interesting set...... I tell you, even rough demos of Thayil would be worth hearing.......

''As far as Soundgarden, there are enough rarities and outtakes that they could do a very nice box set. They've just never gotten around to doing it. They did A Sides, and they were going to do a record called B Sides. They have a million B-Sides, tons of stuff that never got released, demos. There's enough for two or three CDs of just weird shit."

-Jack Endino.

Taken from the "Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music" book, by Greg Pratto.
Old 07.31.2011, 03:08 PM   #40
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

A tiny little clip of "Old Age" from the "Nevermind" Super Deluxe Edition has been posted to Nirvana's tumblr page:
http://nirvananews.tumblr.com/post/8...deluxe-edition

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth