Painkiller 7 43.75%
Xu Feng 2 12.50%
Zorn solo 0 0%
other 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.12.2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm super into him like most people i know, and yesterday i was listening to a painkiller bootleg from '95 where he and laswell and mick harris (i'm guessing is mick harris) just do some free-ish jazz and not the blastbeat minute long explosions i know and love from pk, i kept thinking "if i was at that show and they didn't play guts of a virgin or any of it, i would be pretty mad" it was a good improv but not out of this world.

anyhoo, what's ya favorite zornsky?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2007, 11:29 PM   #2
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i like hemophiliac a whole lot and the locus solus stuff he did with arto lindsay...and the naninani 1 and 2 he did with eYe.

actually, i like it all, but those are my favorites.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ahh fuck, locus solus was the one i tried to remember for the poll, but i put xu feng instead.

sway: nope, zorn has never been in ruins.
Old 04.12.2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

sounds like a project he's most likely to rip off. yoshida from ruins plays with zorn on later painkiller gigs, i think only the live album was recorded with him, and they have played together in other formations, i'm pretty sure they have done cobra together.

(actually, zorn does a great job sniffing good talent out the most unlike places, and he's an original for the most part, although another one of his talents is knowing what to borrow and what to exploit, which is something we can also say about sonic youth too...we owe him in big part for the opening of the japanese scene to the west)
Old 04.13.2007, 03:12 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Oh Christ, this is faaaaaaaaaaaar too difficult to choose.

I love:

The Big Gundown
Pretty much all the Masada stuff
Painkiller
Bar Kokhba/Masada String Trio

I've not heard enough other stuff.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

fuck, i thought more people were going to say something hear, or at least feel insulted by my 'rip off' comment.

ohh well...i'm going to bait more people

anything by zorn > anything by mike patton
Old 04.13.2007, 10:17 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't heard much Mike Patton, but I can't beleive that he can't have put out something that's better than Zorn's "Redbird".
Old 04.13.2007, 10:18 AM   #8
sarramkrop

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 10:26 AM   #9
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I haven't heard much Mike Patton, but I can't beleive that he can't have put out something that's better than Zorn's "Redbird".

i haven't heard "redbird", but i can say that patton and zorn's carreers can be thought of as more of a symbiotic relationship rather than a pissing contest of weirdness.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 04.13.2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i haven't heard "redbird", but i can say that patton and zorn's carreers can be thought of as more of a symbiotic relationship rather than a pissing contest of weirdness.

more like a student ripping off a master...dude played rap/funk metal before meeting zorn, and sang like the dude from ugly kid joe before he heard yamatsuka eye.
Old 04.13.2007, 10:40 AM   #11
sonicl
invito al cielo

Anyone seen this Zorn website before? http://www.omnology.com/zorn01.html
Old 04.13.2007, 10:58 AM   #12
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
more like a student ripping off a master...dude played rap/funk metal before meeting zorn, and sang like the dude from ugly kid joe before he heard yamatsuka eye.

that doesn't mean that they still don't feed off of each others creative energy, though.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 04.13.2007, 11:02 AM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

raw energy and enthusiasm; yes good point.

but patton isn't very original or such a visionary.
Old 04.13.2007, 11:09 AM   #14
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
I like the 20th C kinda stuff like Angelus Novus and Duras: Duchamp, and I really like I.A.O.
Old 04.13.2007, 01:28 PM   #15
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
"Tonic closes after tonight (April 13, 2007). John Zorn plays two "improv" shows followed by the final bunker ("A wild dance party with dark techno, house, and electro"). The club won't be quiet tomorrow though:

CULTURAL EMERGENCY
Musicians and Friends:
It is time to Claim what is our Right! COME to TONIC
Saturday April 14th
FROM 11 a.m. until...
WE MUST DEMAND:
AN ADEQUATE, AFFORDABLE SPACE, CENTRALLY LOCATED IN THE LES!
TONIC IS BEING HANDED OVER TO THE REALTORS.
WE ARE MAKING AN APPREAL TO THE CITY, TO EITHER GIVE US THIS SPACE OR ONE COMPARABLE IN SIZE FOR THE USE OF AVANTJAZZ/NEW MUSIC/INDIE COMMUNITY.
WE CAN NOT LOSE SUCH AN IMPORTANT HOME!
YOUR PRESENCE - YOUR MUSIC- YOUR VOICE – YOUR ART - IS ESSENTIAL.
SHOW THE CITY YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING.
DON’T LET REALTORS DECIDE NEW YORK CITY’S CULTURAL FATE!
STOP THE LOSS OF IMPORTANT VENUES, ONE BY ONE FORCED TO CLOSE BY RENT INCREASES AT AN ALARMING RATE.
STOP THE DESTRUCTION OF THE LES AS A CENTER OF DIVERSE & VARIED & UNIQUE CULTURE.
Tonic is scheduled to close on Friday, April 13th, 2007.
The following day, we will gather to fight the eviction of this crucial venue, the diminishment of our livelihoods, and the destruction of our culture by peacefully resisting. Please join us."

I'm sure Zorn is a big part of this, god bless him.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 01:50 PM   #16
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Difficult to choose, but I'd say Painkiller and Naked City.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:12 PM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Had to go with Naked City. It's all good really, but I like how Naked City is like an avante-garde Henry Mancini.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 09:15 PM   #18
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
raw energy and enthusiasm; yes good point.

but patton isn't very original or such a visionary.
I definately think Patton gets way too much credit. I just feel like he heard some off the wall avant garde-ish stuff one day and thought, "hey, that's cool, I wanna try that," without it actually coming from inside himself. And unfortunately in the world of experimetal music, if anybody attempts to do anything, they get recognition out the wazoo, worthy of it or not.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:42 PM   #19
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
I've always had an inexplicable distaste for John Zorn. Maybe too much "weird for the sake of weird". I think Tzadik has quality control problems as well.

But that said I like Xu Feng alot.
I've seen some pretty interesting Cobra performances too.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:45 PM   #20
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
I think Tzadik has quality control problems as well.
Now this I can kind of understand. It doesn't seem to take much to get something on Tzadik.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth