Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Blonde Redhead-23
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2007, 05:04 PM   #1
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
So...it's leaked. Has anyone heard it yet?

What do you think? Do you like it as much as Misery (which was fantastic, IMO).

It's really shoegaze/late 80's early 90's 4AD sounding (which makes sense, given that they are on 4AD).
guston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
have not but I am glad a new one is coming out!
I love the redhead. Misery was crazy good.
Old 02.16.2007, 04:01 PM   #3
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
have not but I am glad a new one is coming out!
I love the redhead. Misery was crazy good.

If you liked Misery then you will prob. like 23. It takes the ornate song writing of Misery and marries it to a guazy,shoegazey sound. I'm really digging this record. Can't wait to see it performed live.
Old 02.16.2007, 09:36 PM   #4
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guston
If you liked Misery then you will prob. like 23. It takes the ornate song writing of Misery and marries it to a guazy,shoegazey sound. I'm really digging this record. Can't wait to see it performed live.

I thought Misery is a Butterfly sounded really shitty live though. From the way you're describing the new material, unless they change their tactics I don't see this being much different.
Old 02.17.2007, 06:44 AM   #5
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
I think BRH is one of the best live rock band I've ever seen! Their songs become raw on stage, which gives a sort of parallel second existence to their albums: there's the studio version and there's the live version! I listened to "silently" it makes me think of "in particular"! I love it!

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 07:10 AM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've not heard much by them and never seen them live, but what I have heard hasn't really done it for me. Maybe I should give them another go.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 09:20 AM   #7
guston
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
I thought Misery is a Butterfly sounded really shitty live though. From the way you're describing the new material, unless they change their tactics I don't see this being much different.

I really liked seeing the Misery material played live. They do tend to pare it down a bit. It really does become rawer and more like their older material.

I really think the 23 stuff is going to be amazing live. I hope they try and pull anMBV and really crank up the the volume so you can physically feel the layers and texture.
Old 02.17.2007, 06:26 PM   #8
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I'm downloading this as we speak. If you're a demonoid user, here's the link...

www.demonoid.com/files/details/1027937/11197494
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 07:42 AM   #9
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
excluding the first couple tracks ( quite classic-straight forward-kazu driven-melodic brh") it's pure pop geniuses at work. "The Publisher" is one of the best proper songs I heard in years. Very layered record, and i love how the sounds of instruments/keyboards/voice/samples work together. Melodies are great. Golden songwriting. The only drawback is that there's NO WAY to pull it off this good in a live set... but I hope they'll pleasantly surpass my expectations live (last time i saw them they were not too good...).
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 10:48 AM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
To be honest, I found this record to be mediocore at best. All songs except one were decent. IMO, the shittiest track on this album is, "Silently".

All in all, I'd give it a 4 out of 10.
-George Carlin
Old 02.18.2007, 11:42 AM   #11
guston
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
To be honest, I found this record to be mediocore at best. All songs except one were decent. IMO, the shittiest track on this album is, "Silently".

All in all, I'd give it a 4 out of 10.

Yea, Silently is not the best thing they've ever committed to tape, but, Spring and by Summer Fall, 23, Dr. Strangeluv and a few other ones whose titles I can't remember are doing right by me. I hope this record gets the band the larger audience they rightly deserve, but, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02.18.2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
who has my you send it?
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 03:34 PM   #13
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really liked seeing the Misery material played live. They do tend to pare it down a bit. It really does become rawer and more like their older material.

Yeah, but I thought the songs on Misery worked because of the lavish arrangements and tight production value. Without that, the songs just sounded skimpy live. In my opinion of course.
Old 02.20.2007, 06:51 AM   #14
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
After a first listen I'm also very disappointed by the new record, it sounds uninspired compared to their previous two records which were masterpieces.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2007, 11:18 AM   #15
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Well, after a second listen it's not that bad But I still think it's not as good as Misery.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2007, 11:30 AM   #16
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yea, Silently is not the best thing they've ever committed to tape, but, Spring and by Summer Fall, 23, Dr. Strangeluv and a few other ones whose titles I can't remember are doing right by me. I hope this record gets the band the larger audience they rightly deserve, but, I'm not holding my breath.

While I strongly believe that this record is 10x better than any mainstream type record, it's not the type of record that put's a group on the map. If that made any sense. But, I do wish Blonde Redhead would get more appreciation. They do deserve it.
-George Carlin
Old 02.20.2007, 11:53 AM   #17
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Dunno, it's more pure pop sounding than misery, but the "layering" is still there, and that's what , in my opinion, makes this a good record too: even the most melodic songs have an amazing "research" in sounds and composition... I think "the dress" , "publisher" (its hook is simply amazing), "sw" and a couple other songs are way better than the songs sung by kazu on misery ( in my opinion amedeo's tracks were much better than kazu ones on misery)..but I'm not trying to persuade anyone, just expressing my opinions, eh?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2007, 12:40 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
maybe you should wait until it comes out on vinyl and listen to it as it was intended. everything sounds shitty and lame on MP3
Old 02.21.2007, 07:00 PM   #19
guston
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
While I strongly believe that this record is 10x better than any mainstream type record, it's not the type of record that put's a group on the map. If that made any sense. But, I do wish Blonde Redhead would get more appreciation. They do deserve it.

No, you're right. 23 is not the album that would give BRH more "mass appeal". I don't even know if they could make that kind of album. BRH just seems like the type of band that is always going to be really underrated; a real cult band. I liken BRH's situation to Unwound's or Polvo's: Bands who release a string of increasingly great albums but, for one reason or another, pleteau (spelling?).
Old 02.21.2007, 10:32 PM   #20
deathbyfeedback
bad moon rising

deathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's asses
im so behind with BR. im riding slsk like a bucking pony right now.
deathbyfeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth