Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Anyone any idea what instrument this is?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXEnX...eature=related

The thing he starts playing about 2:25 - there's a close up around 4 minutes.

Any help gratefully received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 09:35 AM   #2
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Perhaps the "Harry Bertoia-esque specially-made resonating sculptures"
Old 12.16.2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ha. That's a fair answer, but you'd imagine that someone must produce them, seeing as they're fairly uniform and look to be not quite one-of-a-kind things.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.16.2009, 10:17 AM   #4
東京親父ギャグ研究所
little trouble girl

東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses
Waterphone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterphone

or nail violin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_violin
東京親父ギャグ研究所 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Amazing. Thanks loads for that. I'm going to surmise that it's not a waterphone - the resonance is slightly different than that, but the nail violin looks spot on.

Quote:
Old 12.20.2009, 04:03 PM   #6
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
if you are looking to replicate a similar sound glice, rosin up a violin/cello bow and slighty rosin the edge of a ride symbol and bow the edge, obviously the better the symbol the better the tone you will get. it gives a similar tone to those things but not quite as resonant.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I like the look of this 'array nail violin', Wesley can hammers it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeyKi9dEKc
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
if you are looking to replicate a similar sound glice, rosin up a violin/cello bow and slighty rosin the edge of a ride symbol and bow the edge, obviously the better the symbol the better the tone you will get. it gives a similar tone to those things but not quite as resonant.

Thanks for that - I've been doing that years, but it's always good to hear that other people know about it. It's something that Eddie Prévost does a lot in earlier AMM, who you should probably check out if you don't know them already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
I like the look of this 'array nail violin', Wesley can hammers it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeyKi9dEKc

That makes me think that it probably is a waterphone I'm thinking of. Does he play other instruments then? Good work that man.

Right then, time to get out the GCSE metalwork books out.

Quote:
Old 12.20.2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know if Wezzer's plays anything else, but the instrument in question looks to be a waterphone. haha you plan to make one? I can somehow imagine you playing a waterphone, no offence.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

I probably won't make one, but I have an old sink that I'm going to add to my junk percussion battery, along with my very special secret instrument that's being prototyped at the moment.

I like how, if I say it like that, it seems slightly less like I do fuck all with these ideas.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth