Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2015, 02:33 PM   #1261
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you're missing my point man... I can't imagine that there's any rapper more popular with the kids than Kendrick right now. Unless I'm just out of touch?
Eminem is still the most popular rapper out there. Drake and J. Cole outsold him too.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2015, 02:35 PM   #1262
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
maybe the true "heads" see Kendrick as their fave, but I'm telling ya that most are more into what are the big hits

in 2015, these are the top songs as rated by radio play
Big Sean - I don't fuck with you
Pitbull & Ne Yo - Time of Our Lives
Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
Wiz KHalifa - See You Again

in 2014 it was these

Niki MInaj - Only
Big Sean (again) - I dont fuck with you
Bobby Shmurda - Hot Boy
Iggy Azalea - Black Widow
Nicki Minaj - Anaconda
Iggy Azalea - Fancy
Pitbull & Ke$ha - Timber

Kendrick is nowhere near these acts in terms of exposure and popularity.

You may not be out of touch, just only in touch with those that think as you do Re: rap and hip hop.

It happens to anyone. I thought that Sonic Youth was the biggest act out there when I was 23, only to find they have only one album that sold more than 400,000 copies. Turns out I am the only one of my friends that truly LOVED Sonic Youth.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:36 PM   #1263
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh hey, is anyone out there listening to TWELVE REASONS TO DIE II?

'cause I am.

no because it's not out until the 10th in the US. Because for some stupid reason the industry thought they should change new releases to Fridays now. Meh.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:37 PM   #1264
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You may not be out of touch, just only in touch with those that think as you do Re: rap and hip hop.

it's possible. I listen to "popular radio" at the beach, but that's all like girlie pop, they don't really play hip hop. So maybe yeah, what do I know. I was only thinking of like Kendrick being on a lot of late night shows and stuff. Guess I figured there was a lot of popular exposure. Don't know. (Don't really care either haha)
Old 07.08.2015, 02:39 PM   #1265
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I liken current Kendrick Lamar to U2 in 1985. They were "important" Their songs "mattered" and everyone who thought they had good taste loved them.

Kendrick has the potential to crossover like U2 did, and create more universally loved music, like U2 did, while keeping much of the original fanbase and adding a bunch of people who would not have known U2 was good unless MTV or the radio burned it into their heads with endless replays.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:41 PM   #1266
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I fucking cannot stand M&M though. I just do not give a fuck about whatever problem he happens to be whining about in his latest tunes.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:43 PM   #1267
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
yeah Eminem has become pretty much the worst.

Lil Wayne lost so much of his relevance, when was the last time he had a hit record? it's crazy.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:44 PM   #1268
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Funnily enough my first thought when I read your use of it was the many times I've seen it used by old music journalists in the past. In my book that makes you a plagiarist, as well as a lame poser.
Dammmmnnn.. i ain't seen my man burn someone on SYG like that since back in the day yo!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2015, 02:46 PM   #1269
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
rap used to be mostly protest music back then, talking about how poor and broke you are. and now it's evolved to the point where it's mostly about representing triumph as a result of overcoming adversity and struggle. and that's beautiful if you ask me.
You are trollingz us right? You can't be that naive.. overcoming struggle? Bullshit all this "rap" is pure corporate greed, hedonism, and ignorant bragging. These dudes are triumphing by milking the community, and selling out to an audience of middle class white kids, period. At least initially rap music was full of people ACTUALLY from the street, now? Bunch of studio gangsters and self absorbed narcissists

Old 07.08.2015, 02:46 PM   #1270
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah Eminem has become pretty much the worst.

I liked MMLP2 and Shady XV quite a bit actually. Certainly more than Relapse and Recovery.
Old 07.08.2015, 02:47 PM   #1271
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You are trollingz us right? You can't be that naive..
like other people already pointed out, i was referring to the "good shit".
Old 07.08.2015, 02:48 PM   #1272
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I'd rather listen to MC Serch....
Old 07.08.2015, 02:56 PM   #1273
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
like other people already pointed out, i was referring to the "good shit".
No. Even then its not what it was or even could be.. the reality is rap is like Delta Blues, it was authentic only in the particular societal circumstances that gave birth to it. When Jim Crow died blues became Elvis.. a corporate ghost.

Same with punk.. punk was an underground gutter music, put it on the radio what does it become? Green Day...

Rap came out of the Reagonomics 80s.. contemporary rap is an artificial nostalgia. The society that gave it life no longer exists.

Rap has been taken over by "the industry" and so has become a caricature of itself. This is what Kanye epitomizes, and why most of us here don't like or respect him as an artist.

Old 07.08.2015, 02:58 PM   #1274
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I liked MMLP2 and Shady XV quite a bit actually. Certainly more than Relapse and Recovery.
i think that with ShadyXV he's lost the last bit of artistry he still had left on MMLP2. by this point it's pretty safe to say that Em really hates music and loves rapping. his production is as minimal and non-melodic as it gets, and he puts the most effort on rapping with that choppy flow using over complex rhyme schemes, while he truly says nothing behind it all. i think that deep down he's just one of those weirdo underground rap nerds, who really admires the aspect of technical rapping, even though he's still a huge artist popularity-wise.
Old 07.08.2015, 03:01 PM   #1275
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
i think that with ShadyXV he's lost the last bit of artistry he still had left on MMLP2. by this point it's pretty safe to say that Em really hates music and loves rapping. his production is as minimal and non-melodic as it gets, and he puts the most effort on rapping with that choppy flow using over complex rhyme schemes, while he truly says nothing behind it all. i think that deep down he's just one of those weirdo underground rap nerds, who really admires the aspect of technical rapping, even though he's still a huge artist popularity-wise.

I dont' necessarily disagree... but Shady XV was still better than Relapse, Recovery and Encore haha. And I did really like MMLP2. Having said all that, I could make a long list of dudes I'd rather listen to for sure.
Old 07.08.2015, 03:01 PM   #1276
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
No. Even then its not what it was or even could be.. the reality is rap is like Delta Blues, it was authentic only in the particular societal circumstances that gave birth to it. When Jim Crow died blues became Elvis.. a corporate ghost.

Same with punk.. punk was an underground gutter music, put it on the radio what does it become? Green Day...

Rap came out of the Reagonomics 80s.. contemporary rap is an artificial nostalgia. The society that gave it life no longer exists.

Rap has been taken over by "the industry" and so has become a caricature of itself. This is what Kanye epitomizes, and why most of us here don't like or respect him as an artist.
we've shown you the deeper/more substantial side of Kanye many times, and the album "Watch the Throne" as a whole is exactly what i described, but okay.
Old 07.08.2015, 03:04 PM   #1277
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I dont' necessarily disagree... but Shady XV was still better than Relapse, Recovery and Encore haha. And I did really like MMLP2. Having said all that, I could make a long list of dudes I'd rather listen to for sure.
like i've said here many times, i have a soft spot for Relapse. but i agree about MMLP2 being better than Recovery/Encore. not that it says it much though..
Old 07.08.2015, 03:06 PM   #1278
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You missed the point by a country mile because you are so absorbed with Kanye's narcissism that you cant accept his faults as being reality. And his faults are typical of EXACTLY what is wrong with contemporary rap music

Old 07.08.2015, 03:10 PM   #1279
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
like i've said here many times, i have a soft spot for Relapse. but i agree about MMLP2 being better than Recovery/Encore. not that it says it much though..

Relapse is def better than Recovery and Encore. It's at least an interesting album. And when it's good it's really good. It just has a lot of missteps. Less than f'ing Encore tho haha.

Let's not do the pointless Kanye tug-o-war yet again, plz.
Old 07.08.2015, 03:12 PM   #1280
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
You missed the point by a country mile because you are so absorbed with Kanye's narcissism that you cant accept his faults as being reality. I may be obsessed with Tupac but i accept and understand his flaws and mistakes, i am a fan of his music and culture but not ab Apologist
admittedly i do find Kanye's last three solo albums to be flawless. i've listened to them many times, still can't find any faults in them. i do have a lot of criticism for his other works though, and i also think he says a lot of dumb/unnecessary shit on his interviews, at times even to the point where it's hard to take his words seriously. i also find his recent obsession with fashion design kinda boring. etc. i might be a huge fan but am definitely not blind..
54616263 64 65666774 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth