Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page For old times sake. (drunken tub photos not included).
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2010, 06:31 PM   #1
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Once upon a time, I had more free time. Much of this was spent exploring/researching/listening to music. As I get older, as I take work and girlfriends more seriously, this extra time-on-hand evaporates, slowly, into the ever growing cosmos. SO, what does a boy do????? He spends what little extra time there may be devoting himself to one source (occasionally drifting into others) of music. One genre which includes not only what he plays in his free time, but what he listens to/reads about/watches. Lately, it's been blues. An "off and on" interest over the last few years, but it's where I'm at now regardless. It's been said.

Now, as of this minute, I'm listening to Acid Mothers Temple. The best...no....the "absolute" best compliment I can give to this music is that in all sincerity, I think it would have made Jimi, and probably would make, the likes of Buddy Guy + Muddy Waters proud. It's evolution at it's finest. You can tell what was being listened to, but likewise, you can tell the idea of "pushing forward", is there. Probably the front-gard of blues as of the time of this status update.

Blues? HUH!?!?! To me, the first form of music to where the LYRICS were just as important, self expression,was just as important, as technical ability. If ya mean it, then "dirty/trashed/sloppiness" is OK. For christ's sake, Junior Kimbrough (and really..,Jimi, "proto-noise rock" if there was ever such a thing) would understand alllll too well. AMT are really, and have been really, pushing that to another level. The fans of avant/garage, what-the fuck-evers can get it even if unaware of this VERY deep history of this music.

Blues talks, period. The ONLY form of music in which the basic scale can be utlilized in such a fashion to mimic the human voice.

Ron asheton got it.
Jimi got it.
Keith Richards got it.

The Beatles got it, but not until later into their career as far as my ears can tell.

Really, case in point, blues it he spine of American music. It's been used as a tool on ones palate for decades now, and it ain't going no where. ANY artist worth a damn over the past 50 years understands, including, but not limited to...

Elvis (by his own account, his interest began by listening to BLACK blues performers while hiding under front porches/etc)
Stooges
Stones
White Stripes (to be more precise, Jack White)
Jimi (a blues artists that announced his presence during he absolute height of rock n roll)
Acid Mother's Temple
Nirvana
Screaming Trees
Allman Brothers
Sex Pistols (yes, they were VERY routed in blues)
The Cramps
Earth
,,,,I'll stop, but only because it's endless.....

"johnny Winter no show"

love.

-s.
Old 11.11.2010, 06:37 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
man, that's a cool truck.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 06:37 PM   #3
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
once upon a time i gave a fuck.

then i slapped myself in the face and had a cold shower to remedy this disaster

,,,,I'll stop, but only because that's what you should have done before making this post....

love.

fu.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 06:45 PM   #5
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
what a load of crap, lyrics were always important, this evidenced by the fact that people wrote them. do you think the lyrics in operas were not important? how would anyone get the story then...

technical ability....jesus, people spent centuries or millenia sucking ass technically. the modern instruments are much easier to be consistent in.

the only form of music where the scale mimics the human voice, aside from every form of music.

honestly if you think music was invented in the united states and didn't exist before the invention of recording technology this makes sense.

the good thing about blues is that it's good, good enough that it doesn't need made up and ridiculous statements to justify it
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2010, 06:50 PM   #6
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
man, did you actually read it?

seriously, its sway. you just skip his posts.

that's how it works.
Old 11.11.2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.11.2010, 07:01 PM   #8
ni'k
invito al cielo

must spread repmos
Old 11.11.2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:05 PM   #10
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
what a load of crap, lyrics were always important, this evidenced by the fact that people wrote them. do you think the lyrics in operas were not important? how would anyone get the story then...

technical ability....jesus, people spent centuries or millenia sucking ass technically. the modern instruments are much easier to be consistent in.

the only form of music where the scale mimics the human voice, aside from every form of music.

honestly if you think music was invented in the united states and didn't exist before the invention of recording technology this makes sense.

the good thing about blues is that it's good, good enough that it doesn't need made up and ridiculous statements to justify it

They WERE important, yes. BUT>..they were designed to reach a mass audience. Original blues wasn't designed to reach anyone but yr next door neighbors. Of course, approaching the mid 1930's it had become "pop-music" (for blacks and the weirdo whites that considered it to be "avant garde", which in some way it was).

Let's not forget, the Stones visited Chicago only to discover their "hero" Muddy Waters painting the inside of a recording studio in order to make ends meet. Those folks were not playing because financial security was a guarantee. A "hope" at best.

Opera REQUIRED talent, blues required honesty. There is a difference. Holy shit, some of them early blues singers didn't have the most beautiful voices....but the lyrics, matched w/ at least minimal skill on whatever given instrument, went a long way. Blues has been, time and time again, ripped off...honestly, how many people you know listen to opera AND CONSIDER IT TO BE AN INSPIRATION? On the other hand, how many people you know listen to some variation of rock n roll (a DIRECT descendant of the blues)...?????
Old 11.11.2010, 07:09 PM   #11
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
man, did you actually read it?

seriously, its sway. you just skip his posts.

that's how it works.

Come on, I could have just posted SOMEONE ELSE'S manifesto.

Gimmie a break.
Old 11.11.2010, 07:11 PM   #12
ni'k
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:13 PM   #13
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Clearly, you have nothing worth while to offer. I can appreciate that.
Old 11.11.2010, 07:13 PM   #14
ni'k
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:16 PM   #16
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

This is why I don't post here as often as I used to, some idiot homosexuals (I changed the word as to not offend) spreading drama (perhaps the only thing they are good at).

I win this time? I get anyone riled up? Is that the point?
Old 11.11.2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:18 PM   #18
ni'k
invito al cielo

Old 11.11.2010, 07:19 PM   #19
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

I'm done.

G'night.
Old 11.11.2010, 07:22 PM   #20
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
They WERE important, yes. BUT>..they were designed to reach a mass audience. Original blues wasn't designed to reach anyone but yr next door neighbors. Of course, approaching the mid 1930's it had become "pop-music" (for blacks and the weirdo whites that considered it to be "avant garde", which in some way it was).

Let's not forget, the Stones visited Chicago only to discover their "hero" Muddy Waters painting the inside of a recording studio in order to make ends meet. Those folks were not playing because financial security was a guarantee. A "hope" at best.

Opera REQUIRED talent, blues required honesty. There is a difference. Holy shit, some of them early blues singers didn't have the most beautiful voices....but the lyrics, matched w/ at least minimal skill on whatever given instrument, went a long way. Blues has been, time and time again, ripped off...honestly, how many people you know listen to opera AND CONSIDER IT TO BE AN INSPIRATION? On the other hand, how many people you know listen to some variation of rock n roll (a DIRECT descendant of the blues)...?????

seriously man, don't do this, you aren't really saying much that doesn't apply to every kind of music that ever existed. do you think in all the millenia arabs existed before the usa was founded they never once managed to be bad at an instrument or express themself honestly? that applies to every other group in the (world except russians)

aside from technology based advancements the main thing americans have done with music that was not common practice in every corner of the world(except russia) is think they that they invented it

i love the fact that you think my using opera as a single example of lyrics being central to music means i think it's totally the best and most popular thing ever, it's also funny that you tried to make me look stupid and then went on to imply IN CAPITALS that no one finds a centuries old artform inspiring
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth