Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Black lives matter. And I also say:
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.17.2016, 02:17 AM   #21
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Difference: there was a "Royal Commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody" created nearly 30 years ago in Australia. A government investigation into the issue. That's what we need.

Black people have been dying at the hands of white people for centuries. We abolished slavery, sure, but half the nation still wants to fly the goddamn confederate flag, and the social, psycho-social, institutional and cultural cards are still stacked against people of color. This is a fact that people try to deny or underplay (like global warming... seriously), and the U.S. Government is not doing its part to set things right.

Obama came in and the good he did manage to accomplish was too little and too late. Now people are starting to adopt a "by any means necessary" approach. Return shots were fired, and cops were killed in Dallas, and they were mourned by the nation, while the THOUSANDS of minorities hauled off in body bags barely phases the average white middle American voter.

I'm not trying to play the pain game here. I just think your country appears to have more of a collective conscience about these issues. The gun control policies in Australia are decades if not centuries from even being possible here in the U.S. Really, I don't feel like I'm exaggerating, given immeasurable political influence and lobbying power of the NRA. It saddens me to read of the treatment to Aboriginal people in Australia, but I believe there is probably more accountability in you country than there is in ours. I mean, I hope that's the case anyway.

The irony of our gun laws is that they were rushed through (in the wake of an, admittedly, pretty huge massacre) by a Liberal government (the equivalent of your Republican party). John Howard was immensely destructive in so many ways, but his stance on gun control will probably prove to be on of the most effective pieces of legislation any Prime Minister will pass. Took a lot of guts, especially since his government was a coalition with the National party (the party for wealthy farmers and rural rednecks).

Also... Black Comedy matters https://youtu.be/SPIb47YXEv8

If only just for those drums
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2016, 10:42 AM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
The irony of our gun laws is that they were rushed through (in the wake of an, admittedly, pretty huge massacre) by a Liberal government (the equivalent of your Republican party). John Howard was immensely destructive in so many ways, but his stance on gun control will probably prove to be on of the most effective pieces of legislation any Prime Minister will pass. Took a lot of guts, especially since his government was a coalition with the National party (the party for wealthy farmers and rural rednecks).

Also... Black Comedy matters https://youtu.be/SPIb47YXEv8

If only just for those drums

Damn, I need to learn more about international politics.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth