Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Satan is Boring / Rotterdam / Cathy?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.30.2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I could've come up w/ a better subject than that... but here goes!

A pretty stellar fellow provided me with a full copy of the 04/02/85 Rotterdam show, confirming that one side of "Satan is Boring" from the infamous "supermix" on the Flower single is indeed from this show. Now, at the beginning of the show, Thurston says:

"Hey uh, we're called Sonic Youth, and I don't know how many people know this but Cathy didn't show up... she's not here. Nobody knows where she is. ..... I mean, is everybody into, like, Cathy, I mean we have a book of hers up here, we could probably, like, read a page out of it, if you wanna hear it.. otherwise, we'll just like, we'll play some songs... some songs that we wrote..."

So, who's Cathy? Well, who cares, except I'm wondering if the material Kim is reading during "Satan is Boring" is actually a page from Cathy's book. Thurston mentions later that they'll probably see Cathy in London, if that's any help. I'm just curious so I can add the info to the appropriate sites...

Here's an excerpt of what Kim reads:

"She dreams she's fucking someone more famous than broad-faced(? could be a name). More shivers run thru her nerves, loss of thought, trust. Trust is loss of thought. [?? name] and the blond rock and roller man made love. When she wakes she can't remember who he was, and what the sex is like. She doesn't know what to do with herself. [?? name] enters and tells [?? first name] she's totally ugly, because she's so ?, no one wants to talk to her. She's the worst kind of Jewish [??].. she's vulgar and unrestrained. And that is what Europeans, especially Frenchmen, hate most about Americans."

Rich men, poor men, mothers, beautiful women, whores... etc etc blah blah DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS BY CHANCE? I probably butchered portions of it but I'm not really expecting anybody to identify it anyway, so...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Given it's Sonic Youth, I'd bet it's Kathy Acker their talking about. Post-feminist with a cyberpunk and performance art edge and all...

What bums me out is I didn't know until I just read that wikipedia entry that she died of breast cancer in 1997. That explains why I hadn't heard anything about her in so long...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Brilliant! It must be "Blood and Guts in High School" - the name I didn't bother typing was indeed "Janey".

I knew it was gonna be a "K"athy and I'd look stupid.

THANKS!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2009, 10:24 AM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
it needs to be said her shit is way overrated.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth