Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2017, 02:56 PM   #321
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
That was the ace up my sleeve.
Old 06.26.2017, 09:36 AM   #322
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
here's something interesting that'll be out this week:

Quote:
Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer (Arrival) joins Harvey Award-nominated artist Ra?l All?n (Wrath of the Eternal Warrior) for Valiant's next prestige format limited series, starring Livewire and an extraordinary new team of heroes! The government has dispatched Amanda McKee - the technopath codenamed Livewire - to investigate the ruins of a secret facility formerly run by Toyo Harada, the most powerful telepath on Earth and her former mentor. In his quest for world betterment at any cost, Harada sought out and activated many potential psiots like himself. Those who survived, but whose powers he deemed to have no value to his cause, were hidden away at this installation. But Livewire, having studied Harada's greatest strengths and learned his deepest weaknesses, senses opportunity where he once saw failure. A young girl who can talk to birds? A boy who can make inanimate objects gently glow? To others, these are expensive failures. But, to Livewire, they are secret weapons?in need of a leader. Now, as a mechanized killer called Rexo seeks to draw them out, Livewire and her new team of cadets will be forced to put their powers into action?in ways they never could have imagined?
Old 06.26.2017, 10:52 AM   #323
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
here's something interesting that'll be out this week:

Wow that's a lot of misplaced question marks. Lol.

I alswuad thiugt Valiant kinda ate shit. Like Malibu. Remember Malibu comics? Haha. Anyway, surprised to hear they're still going strong... and doing adaptations, it sounds like? Or did I read that wrong?

Oh well.

I'm reading Secret Empire and it's good.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2017, 11:04 AM   #324
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I do remember Malibu. Actually I've been sorta hunting Malibu stuff lately for nostalgia. I got the first Prime trade coming to me, which isn't easy to find.

This Valiant book stood out to me because the Arrival guy wrote it.
Old 06.28.2017, 10:08 AM   #325
noisereductions
invito al cielo

my shopping list for today:

Defenders #2
Elektra #5
GI Joe: Real American Hero #241
Jean Grey #3
Secret Weapons #1
Supergirl: Being Super #4
TMNT #71

I'll prob also grab X-Men: Blue #4 as I'm still behind on this series.

That Elektra is the final issue of this series. Sadly, the same for Supergirl: Being Super which I absolutely adore.

I was reading the new IDW GI Joe sporadically, but kind of hated the art, and have now heard that it's ending soon. But at the same time I've been waiting for another good jump-on of the main series, and a new story arc starts w/ 241. Secret Weapons sounds intriguing.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:06 AM   #326
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
my shopping list for today:

Defenders #2
Elektra #5
GI Joe: Real American Hero #241
Jean Grey #3
Secret Weapons #1
Supergirl: Being Super #4
TMNT #71

I'll prob also grab X-Men: Blue #4 as I'm still behind on this series.

That Elektra is the final issue of this series. Sadly, the same for Supergirl: Being Super which I absolutely adore.

I was reading the new IDW GI Joe sporadically, but kind of hated the art, and have now heard that it's ending soon. But at the same time I've been waiting for another good jump-on of the main series, and a new story arc starts w/ 241. Secret Weapons sounds intriguing.

I've read 3 issues of Secret Empire, including the Free Comic Book Day pre-zero issue, and I have to say, it's a pretty goddamn gripping story. It really is

Captain Anerica (who has always been one of my favorite Marvel characters, but especially since the first Civil War, when he lead the charge against Iron Man, whom I hate, and the registration act, that even a staunch leftist democratic like myself think is an example of extreme government overreach), has been built up into QUITE the fucking villain, let me tell you. Wow.

I know there's some weird parallel reality stuff coming, and that this will all eventually be set right and explained ... or maybe Cap will just be killed again... but from a story-telling perspective it's some top notch shit.

Some of the artwork is just phenomenal, really. I'm enjoying it.

Also, I STILL have no FUCKING idea how to just BUY COMICS on ComiXology for fuck's sake! I went around and around with the goddamn thing for an hour the other day, because I realized the iTunes/iBooks store doesn't have much in the way of new Marvel, and I was determined to figure it out. But no matter what, between the Amazon, Kindle and ComiXology apps, I was not able to fucking BUY A COMIC AND READ IT.

So I said fuck it and just downloaded the Marvel app, and now I'm golden.

NR, please, someday, tell me *what the fuck ComiXology fucking IS* because the nonsenseness of it all is REALLY pissing me off.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:08 AM   #327
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, NR, I just read that Secret Empire actually began in Deadpool #27. Just thought you might give a shit.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:14 AM   #328
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I don't really get Comixology either. I used to think it was a comic store for indie publishers only? But I think that now it can also import your Marvel/DC purchases too? I dont' know. I somehow have an acct. I think? I have Marvel, DC, Kindle, Google Books apps on my tab. And yet, I read very few digital comics.

It's funny to me that you're into Secret Empire, the one major event that I've skipped from Marvel since I've gotten back into comics. I read Civil War II, IvX, even f'ing Monsters Unleashed hahahaha. Shrug.

I didn't read Deadpool #27. I read lots of Deadpool, but kind of jump in and out of the main series (and spinoffs). But #27 was the wedding to Shiklah I believe? The following "Til Death Do Us..." story was fantastic.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:18 AM   #329
Severian
invito al cielo

^^ Them's HYDRA colors!!!
Old 06.28.2017, 11:26 AM   #330
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't really get Comixology either. I used to think it was a comic store for indie publishers only? But I think that now it can also import your Marvel/DC purchases too? I dont' know. I somehow have an acct. I think? I have Marvel, DC, Kindle, Google Books apps on my tab. And yet, I read very few digital comics.

It's funny to me that you're into Secret Empire, the one major event that I've skipped from Marvel since I've gotten back into comics. I read Civil War II, IvX, even f'ing Monsters Unleashed hahahaha. Shrug.

I didn't read Deadpool #27. I read lots of Deadpool, but kind of jump in and out of the main series (and spinoffs). But #27 was the wedding to Shiklah I believe? The following "Til Death Do Us..." story was fantastic.

I'm not gonna lie, I was drawn in by the hype. First the hype about Cap being Hydra... I wanted to see how far they went with it, and if it felt like a ruse to me... then later I was drawn in even more by the previews of issues, and the oustanding art I was seeing.

I'm a big fan of the whole espionage/military/spy side of things in Marvel, and I don't feel like there's enough of it in the big events. Definitely not in the movies. I like the guessing games and the strategy and the bizarre alliances and stuff. I also think HYDRA, as an organization, is one of Marvel's greatest villains. It's one thing Marvel has that nobody else really has. A semi-realistic global totalitarian military regime. That shit is scary. Scarier than a lot of their single serving villains.

I dunno. I dig it.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:44 AM   #331
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Found the trade paperback version of the full My Friend Dahmer comic book. already creepy AF.

Old 06.28.2017, 11:52 AM   #332
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah I saw that Deadpool cover. What's that... #32 I think? I was like "oh no" because I really didn't want a SE crossover issue. And skipped that one.

It's def just a taste thing. Spies/espionage/etc - not my thing. Just not into it.

The other thing is - and the same could be said for pretty much all the really recent Marvel events - I feel like SE will just not have any real consequence. The whole Marvel Legacy thing that's coming in September feels like a Rebirth-esque reset button is being pushed. They're going back to legacy numbering and everything. So I don't know. Maybe the plan for SE is just to blow up the Marvel universe so we can start over?

But again, the bottom line is that the whole spy double-agent thing... it's just not something that interests me.
Old 06.28.2017, 11:53 AM   #333
noisereductions
invito al cielo

PS: did you guys know that (80's) GI Joe was actually created with the intention of it being about Nick Fury's son and SHIELD fighting Hydra? But when they couldnt' get an OK from Marvel, they bought the rights to the old GI Joe name, and Nick Fury's son became Duke, Shield became GI Joe and Hydra became Cobra?

That's kind of awesome, right?
Old 06.28.2017, 12:38 PM   #334
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
PS: did you guys know that (80's) GI Joe was actually created with the intention of it being about Nick Fury's son and SHIELD fighting Hydra? But when they couldnt' get an OK from Marvel, they bought the rights to the old GI Joe name, and Nick Fury's son became Duke, Shield became GI Joe and Hydra became Cobra?

That's kind of awesome, right?

I don't know any thing about GI Joe except that I once had a toy that was a black cobra ninja and he was THE BEST for fighting other toys. He always won all the little tournaments I had, and he was evil and cruel and eventually Batman would beat him, after failing once. Sometimes cobra guy would kill Wolverine (which for some reason made Batman super angry and vengeance-crazed).

It was all basically like the movie Kick Boxer.. or BloodSport. All happening in my lap with little men.
Old 06.28.2017, 12:42 PM   #335
noisereductions
invito al cielo

was it Snake Eyes, bro?

GI Joe was my shiznit pretty much until TMNT came around. Then TMNT just took over. But man, I had tonssss of GI Joe action figures. And I still got a lot of love for the franchise.
Old 06.28.2017, 01:42 PM   #336
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
was it Snake Eyes, bro?

GI Joe was my shiznit pretty much until TMNT came around. Then TMNT just took over. But man, I had tonssss of GI Joe action figures. And I still got a lot of love for the franchise.

Yep, pretty sure that's the one.

I had him, a really jacked Wolverine with retractable claws, and a couple of Batmen (one looked like a little Michael Keaton, the other was Animated Series style) ... those were my big faves. Also RoboCop. Not a lot of brand consistency, but I had a lot of little dudes. Toys were fun.
Old 06.28.2017, 02:20 PM   #337
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I had some cool Marvel/DC figures as a kid too. I remember a pretty badass Daredevil. And def Batman stuff. That 89 movie was huge - HUGE - for me.

But def GI Joe and TMNT were my biggest collections. TMNT for the win. I wish I still had that stuff. I had some crazy ones like Mondo Gecko. I even had Krang's body!

I'm still a nerd, so I still pick up some figures. BUT, totally on the cheap. I'm not a collector by any means. I think every figure I have (which is not a lot) have come from yard sales. And I've never spent over $5 for one.

This conversation is making me want to look up GI Joes though. But I know that's a bad rabbit hole to go down.

You ever see the GI Joe movie? Not the new live action stuff, I mean the animated movie from the 80's. It was awesome.

Also also on the subject (and since I'm just rambling now) I don't know if you guys know about the "Hasbroverse"? In the IDW comics for a while now there's been a Hasbroverse which was established in Revolution and continued through Revolutionaries, and now First Strike, etc... so basically GI Joe, Transformers, MASK, ROM... these franchises have crossed over and now are part of the same shared universe. I don't really know much about MASK or ROM or whatever. But the GI Joe x Transformers stuff is actually pretty cool. I'd actually think that THAT would make a neat movie.

I know I really went off on a tangent there. But if any of this interests you in the least, check out Revolution which was only five issues.
Old 06.28.2017, 03:16 PM   #338
noisereductions
invito al cielo

maybe it was Firefly?

Storm Shadow was MY favorite GI Joe action figure

and Jinx

Old 06.28.2017, 03:25 PM   #339
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
still have GI Joe 12-56 or so in my comic book box
Old 06.28.2017, 03:27 PM   #340
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
still have GI Joe 12-56 or so in my comic book box

that's awesome.
141516 17 181920 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth