Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2015, 01:22 AM   #39761
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Also the irony of !@#$! hating every major US city but that shithole Naw Orlawns is palpable

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2015, 08:49 AM   #39762
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Also the irony of !@#$! hating every major US city but that shithole Naw Orlawns is palpable

i'm pointing at cities which are good for working músicos AND cheap to live in. not sure if you realize in this thread i've been addressing crayolas, who plays the piano? and then her actual friend schizo who suggested they become neighbors again. this is not for you/about you / at you / your narcissism. go away. although HELPFUL info about your hell city is... helpful.

i do not "love" nashville, but if i was looking to develop as a musician i'd go there first. 20% cheaper than the u.s. average and a massive cluster of professionals, opportunities to play with others and learn and connect. and southerners are generally a hospitable bunch. so it's an easy/obvious move.

new york may be a musical paradise for everything from classical to jazz to avant-garde to broadway to everything else, but what kid from wyoming loaded with student debt can afford to move there without a trust fund?

l.a. may suck for your band but traditionally it has been a magnet for talent and work in studios, film, etc.-- problem is---the odds of making a living as a musician there are very long, and cost of living is too high to flip pancakes on the side. also, everything that's wrong with america like thinking that everything revolves around you and your dumbass "opinion".

the pacific northwest has gloomy-ass weather. for someone who grew up in florida it must be like a cave. seattle is famous for not letting you make friends easy. and the cost of living is not the cheapest either. i'd skip it.

vegas may have jobs for musicians but it's a fucking depressing shithole. worse even than l.a.

new orleans is still reeling after katrina but its mega-musical tradition survives, has lots of live music, and in spite of the recent destruction and successive gentrification it is still affordable. one can play music with lots of people and learn and live cheaply-- for now anyway.

etc.

having said all that--don't insult new orleans or i'll nail your tongue to a lamp post and kick your car some more. that was the last holy city in the region even though americans have been trying to destroy it since they took it over.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2015, 01:02 PM   #39763
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'm pointing at cities which are good for working músicos AND cheap to live in. not sure if you realize in this thread i've been addressing crayolas, who plays the piano? and then her actual friend schizo who suggested they become neighbors again. this is not for you/about you / at you / your narcissism. go away. although HELPFUL info about your hell city is... helpful.

The irony of you accusing me of narcissism for half jokingly criticizing YOUR comment as if i was somehow attacking YOU personally is palpable.

Old 08.27.2015, 01:28 PM   #39764
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The irony of you accusing me of narcissism for half jokingly criticizing YOUR comment as if i was somehow attacking YOU personally is palpable.

no irony, alanis-- it's more of a carly simon thing where you think this thread is about you.

stick to the motherfucking subject. cities for a young piano player in debt or stop squawking.

plus, she wants to play guitar/sing.

be helpful for once.
Old 08.27.2015, 02:02 PM   #39765
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Again, you accuse me of narcissism, yet you are being totally self absorbed in some kind of delusions. In what way did i ever suggest or imply anything was about me? I was simply joking about your post, and you took it up your ass like a big fat dildo. Keep it cool and calm yo, i ain't your frenemy

Old 08.27.2015, 02:03 PM   #39766
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Again, you accuse me of narcissism, yet you are being totally self absorbed in some kind of delusions. In what way did i ever suggest or imply anything was about me? I was simply joking about your post, and you took it up your ass like a big fat dildo. Keep it cool and calm yo, i ain't your frenemy
BE HELPFUL FOR ONCE.
Old 08.27.2015, 02:04 PM   #39767
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
be helpful for once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
orlando!

so i'm taking the clep exam i need for my math credit, and my mom is paying for the science credit... taking them probably next month and minus the money i owe, i'll finally actually have my stupid associates.
Quote:
AA ain't a stupid degree, can get a way better job with it than without, especially for when in school pursuing higher degree path
Did you miss this post in your self absorbed nonsense

As for canyons situation, i already shared my condolences for her situation and for evolghost's girlfriends similar ome.. i am a failed musician myself, not much i can offer of help and i applaud her courage if she takes you up on your advice.

Old 08.27.2015, 02:12 PM   #39768
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
As to those who lost their college funding, i am sooooo sincerely sorry, i had to wait three years to make it back into gradschool while i saved all my pennies, all i can say is God knows where He needs y'all, and whether we know or even like it, God always knows what He is doimg. Y'all have my prayers and please keep me in yours if that is your thing
AHEM

Old 08.27.2015, 02:15 PM   #39769
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
As for canyons situation, i already shared my condolences for her situation and for evolghost's girlfriends similar ome.. i am a failed musician myself, not much i can offer of help and i applaud her courage if she takes you up on your advice.

not advice, just suggestion/ideas.

there is nothing for music in her whole region outside of schools-- the closest would be denver, but it's not a great center for music. might as well flee completely. minnessotter might be an alternative to nebraska colleges. savage clone might be able to offer some insight into the minneapolis scene if he ever resurfaces--he gets to play and has a reasonable side job/standard of living.

don't know that you're "failed" if you play what you want, but you live in an expensive hellhole where you're forced to spend more hours at a job and less with geetars just so you can eat and cover your commute. simple math really. for all we know, you could relocate to tulsa and become "successful," whatever that means.
Old 08.27.2015, 09:10 PM   #39770
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
holy jesus.

to be honest I'm considering relocating to ft collins mostly because it's conveniently close to my friends and i could maybe get residency buuuuuut it's been my dream to go to either nawlins or nashville for a while now

as a pianist, it's very difficult to get your foot into the door as far as competitions and such go, as you need to be (usually) practicing and studying under someone very influential and well-known in that snooty community and i simply don't have that working for me right now.

my best bet is hopping on board with a band or forming my own and seeing where that goes while i try to get residency somewhere worth going
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2015, 10:21 PM   #39771
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

dont worry about holy jesus, suchfriends and i always argue about everything. you should see the mightly football thread. kindly ignore the noise, which is irrelevant.

anyway, on with the story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
to be honest I'm considering relocating to ft collins mostly because it's conveniently close to my friends and i could maybe get residency buuuuuut it's been my dream to go to either nawlins or nashville for a while now

lol go already while you're young. the older you get the harder it is to work shit jobs and live on ramen and make lifelong friends that will be your network. and dreams get more distant and one gets sadder and more "reasonable" and then it's an office job to pay the student debt and a drink at the end of the day to forget you once wanted something. then you're stuck someplace.

those dream cities have schools too, and in-state tuition should be cheap after a year. but you get a chance to play as well with other young & hungry people and also find old musicians and mentors and who knows.

re: the snootie.s they've been chosen for competitions probably since they were 7, yes? they proably were hanging out in your backyard at the grand teton the past few weeks. sometimes they go on performance today, the little brats, talking to fred child about how they want to skateboard but their dads won't let them lolol. so what if that's not you. you still can play and you love music. yes?

popular music demands something other than absolute technical perfection-- it doesn't care if you went to school or played with a broken piano that you fixed in an alley. right? you need skills but also... i don't know, it's different. more options i think. plus, professionals never stop learning, right? it's not like you get a gig and never take classes again. e.g., quincy jones dropped out of berklee to go to tour, later studied with nadia boulanger, later produced michael jackson, ha ha. it's a lifelong study and it's not all in a classroom. i remember reading somewhere that corin tucker took lessons from an opera singer so she wouldn't lose her voice touring with s/k. always learning/practicing, for life.

anyway, i don't know what's in fort collins--- but colorado has good breweries and free weed. maybe a lot of musicians moving in as a result lol. i have friends in denver and boulder but never been to fort collins. wikipedia says: a local symphony, and CSU has a music scene around it. okay. maybe that. it ain't mecca though.

anyway, best wishes with whatever you choose but i hope you don't chicken out of your dreams, because, damn. and i'm no musician so i can't offer any advice proper but i hope you connect with others soon. we tried arts via the internet for 2 years while living in the boonies and it didn't work out, so now we're going where the art is. there's no e-shortcut for community. fact. gotta get in the thick of it and share meals and coffees and beers and hardships and look at people's faces to get into the action. start a band, leave a band, break a band, etc. it's just how things work. the longer you stay, the deeper your roots. the more you do something, the more you end up doing it. the longer you wait for change, the harder it gets to change. not to say it's impossible, but things build up that way.
Old 08.28.2015, 05:58 AM   #39772
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
The bodies of 71 people were found in the back of truck in Parndorf (a town in the Austrian province of Burgenland) yesterday. It seems as though they were Syrian migrants seeking to flee their country. Apparently, the truck had been abandoned in the emergency lane of a highway for a day before someone noticed. This is absolutely horrendous and inhumane. As if the living conditions for refugees in this country weren't bad enough already. And on top of that, far right nuts are still spouting their vicious hatred whilst polluting the social networks. Some people should just drink a big cup of shut up juice.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2015, 03:15 PM   #39773
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ah, mierda...!

so sorry.

¿qué estudia?

!

She wants to be an interpreter. She switched her majors and she's b een learnign sign for about a year and halfs. She's already fluent and WAAAAYYY ahead of where she should be, but it helps that she has deaf family which she spends a lot of time with. I'm trying to learn at least the alphabet. I have a lot of it down and I know some other signs too...basic ones, but I wish to learn enough to communicate. Deaf people are really....open. They're not limited to shame and embarrassment like hearing people. It's weird..but it's pretty easy to be INCREDIBLY open with them. Anyways...the community is so welcoming! it's really nice.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2015, 03:55 PM   #39774
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
dont worry about holy jesus, suchfriends and i always argue about everything.
More irony, only one arguing about anything was you. I made joke about your post, you got in a hissy fit, i made another joke. Why so jumpy?

Old 08.28.2015, 04:17 PM   #39775
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
More irony, only one arguing about anything was you. I made joke about your post, you got in a hissy fit, i made another joke. Why so jumpy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I'd like to think you're baiting, but you're such a dingleberry that I can't tell.
Old 08.28.2015, 04:23 PM   #39776
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

She wants to be an interpreter. She switched her majors and she's b een learnign sign for about a year and halfs. She's already fluent and WAAAAYYY ahead of where she should be, but it helps that she has deaf family which she spends a lot of time with. I'm trying to learn at least the alphabet. I have a lot of it down and I know some other signs too...basic ones, but I wish to learn enough to communicate. Deaf people are really....open. They're not limited to shame and embarrassment like hearing people. It's weird..but it's pretty easy to be INCREDIBLY open with them. Anyways...the community is so welcoming! it's really nice.

ahhhh... very nice. yes! ASL is more than just a language, it's part of a whole other culture really. it's funny (to me) when people think ASL is english-with-hands.

the interpreter job seems super intense. when i was in grad school i had a couple of deaf classmates (not in my actual class but in courses i took) and the interpreter would be there going at lightning speed.

well i hope she can take advantage of the hiatus to save her pesos and practice more in the meantime. it's not like she can take the course elsewhere & transfer credits, right? if it was english 101 maybe...

anyway, good to hear things go well in spite of obstacles
Old 08.29.2015, 05:13 AM   #39777
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
so i think i've decided on fort collins, but if that doesn't work out i have other options too. hopefully i'll be okay. an AFA might not get me anywhere but i'm hoping it'll get me into a good school somewhere so i can continue with my education.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2015, 09:57 AM   #39778
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ahhhh... very nice. yes! ASL is more than just a language, it's part of a whole other culture really. it's funny (to me) when people think ASL is english-with-hands.

the interpreter job seems super intense. when i was in grad school i had a couple of deaf classmates (not in my actual class but in courses i took) and the interpreter would be there going at lightning speed.

well i hope she can take advantage of the hiatus to save her pesos and practice more in the meantime. it's not like she can take the course elsewhere & transfer credits, right? if it was english 101 maybe...

anyway, good to hear things go well in spite of obstacles

yeah...definitely not just English with hands. A whole new syntax n what not. ASL is not offered in many colleges around here. There's only like 3 where she can continue and one is pretty far.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2015, 01:52 PM   #39779
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
so i think i've decided on fort collins, but if that doesn't work out i have other options too. hopefully i'll be okay. an AFA might not get me anywhere but i'm hoping it'll get me into a good school somewhere so i can continue with my education.

well, colorado is definitely a sweet place to live. the fittest people in the country, excellent microbrews, lots of beautiful outdoors, and now... legal weed!

at some point we considered moving to denver because we like it, but we have more connections in neo-mexes, so in the end we didn't.

best wishes with the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
yeah...definitely not just English with hands. A whole new syntax n what not. ASL is not offered in many colleges around here. There's only like 3 where she can continue and one is pretty far.

if DC hadn't gotten so expensive i'd say go to gallaudet... well, you can always live in PG county and commute...
Old 08.29.2015, 05:10 PM   #39780
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this popped up in lifehacker today

https://www.edq.com/data-quality-inf...ng-in-america/
1489188919391979198619871988 1989 199019911992199920392089 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth