Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2015, 07:22 AM   #1521
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
saw Straight Outta Compton (the new movie) last friday and thought it was great.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2015, 03:22 PM   #1522
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
it's an overproduced mess, and Travis is simply not a good enough rapper to carry it. he's like a mash of Cudi, Kanye and every hot trap/mainstream rapper out minus the talent of either. at least Days Before Rodeo has Drugs You Should Try It, which is still his best song, in my opinion anyway.. listen to it for the features and perhaps some production ideas.

I have to admit, I like the album. I didn't find much to complain about. The records getting almost exclusively excellent iTunes ratings (which means nothing, since those guys only know how to say "this is 🔥🔥🔥 yo!" or "this is the worst thing ever yo"...

But I'm on the 🔥🔥🔥 side myself. I've only had one listen but nothing pissed me off or made me go "next!"... So we'll see
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2015, 12:18 AM   #1523
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
saw Straight Outta Compton (the new movie) last friday and thought it was great.
while it was an enjoyable movie, there were so many inaccuracies. this movie is pretty much PR for Dre, he's trying to rewrite history and sadly a lot of people are going to believe it.
Old 09.08.2015, 12:34 AM   #1524
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
while it was an enjoyable movie, there were so many inaccuracies. this movie is pretty much PR for Dre, he's trying to rewrite history and sadly a lot of people are going to believe it.
Fucking exactly my OG gangsta homie from that era has spent the past three Friday kick it nights talking about the bullshit factor of this flick in between war stories. I ain't watching it cuz im from the eazy side of it... if anything his fam only gave them permission because they knew it would make dre and cube look bad when all the new folks search the eazy catalog and find albums like 187 Dr Dre Kill Um Its On

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2015, 12:36 AM   #1525
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
new SCARFACE and Rick Ross projects tomorrow!
Im intrigued

Old 09.08.2015, 04:40 AM   #1526
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Fucking exactly my OG gangsta homie from that era has spent the past three Friday kick it nights talking about the bullshit factor of this flick in between war stories. I ain't watching it cuz im from the eazy side of it... if anything his fam only gave them permission because they knew it would make dre and cube look bad when all the new folks search the eazy catalog and find albums like 187 Dr Dre Kill Um Its On
i was really annoyed by how they made Eazy look like a pussy.
easily the realest/not to be fucked with member of the group.

not to mention they implied that his solo career was a failure, while in reality each project of his went platinum.

and of course they tried to pretend that Real Muthafuckin G's never happened. song still hurts Dre to this day!

Quote:
Im intrigued
i've heard good things about the Scarface album. still need to listen.
Old 09.08.2015, 11:54 AM   #1527
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Re: REAL MUTHAFUKKIN G's

Hey Yo doctor, here's another proper track
and it's phat,
watch the sniper, time to pay the piper
and let that real shit provoke, so you's a wanna be 'loc
and you'll get smoked and i hope that yer fans understand
when ya talk about sprayin me, the same records that ya
makin' is payin me

Mothafuck Dre
Mothafuck Snoop
Mothafuck Death Row
Yo, and here comes me left blow
''cause i'm the E-A-Z-Y-E, and this is the season
to let the Real mothafuckin G's in,

ya like a kid ya
found a pup and now yer dapper, but tell me
where the fuck ya find an anorexic rapper
talkin 'bout who you gone squabble with and who ya shoot
you're only 60 pounds when yer wet and wearin boots

damn E, they tried to fade you on Dre Day
But Dre Day only met Eazy's pay day

all of a sudden Dr Dre is a G thang, but on his
old album cover he was a she thang

so nigga please, nigga please don't step to deez
mothafuckin' real G's

I have never talked much about Eazy-E here, but this is probably the best dis track in rap history. Eazye was incredible.

I haven't seen the film, but I'm pissed that they apparently make E out to be a pussy. Dre and Cube both have put a lot of energy into looking like good, loyal friends who made peace with E. Considering the fact that they shared creative control of the film with Eazy's widow, you'd think it would be hard to "make him look like a pussy" ...

Oh well. I am enjoying the soundtrack, and now I'm in the mood to bust out some E solo records.
Old 09.08.2015, 04:36 PM   #1528
louder
invito al cielo

yeah that diss is brutal. Dresta and B.G. Knocc Out went just as hard as Eazy.

"Just take a good look at the, nigga and you'll capture
The fact that the bastard, is simply just an actor
Who mastered the bang and the slang and the mental
Of niggas in Compton, Watts, and South Central
Never ever once have you ran with the turf
But yet in every verse claim you used to do the dirt"

"This is going out to you studio gangstas
See I did dirt, put in work, and many niggas can vouch that
So since I got stripes, I got the right to rap about that
But niggas like you, I gotta hate ya
Cause I'm just tired of suburbia niggas
Talking about they come from projects
Knowing you ain't seen the parts of the streets G"

"Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg are fuckin' actors
Pranksters, studio gangstas, busters"

"See young niggas like me will break you off something
Claiming my city but, Dre, you ain't from Compton
Niggas like y'all is what I call wannabes
And ain't shit compared to real motherfuckin G's"
Old 09.08.2015, 04:53 PM   #1529
Severian
invito al cielo

It's an excellent song.

I guess I should see this movie, being a fan of NWA. But I like Dre's Compton album, and I tend to hate fucking biopics (uhh... Ray? Walk The Line? Pretty much everything except for Control? All shit. Embarrassing fucking shit. ... Backbeat was ok, I guess), and I don't want to be pissed off about it.

The record that Dre calls a "soundtrack" (by the way, how does that work? Do songs from Compton really play in the film? Because that would be ... stupid... For a bunch of reasons) is an unexpected gem. I don't like the fact that I like Dre album this much... Still, I don't have high hopes for the film, and I fucking hate most of the people who were part of it. I feel like it will mess up the experience of the record for me.

Then I'll have wasted money, and I'm down a tax bracket or two at the moment, so that'll piss me off as well.
Old 09.08.2015, 06:46 PM   #1530
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
i was really annoyed by how they made Eazy look like a pussy.
easily the realest/not to be fucked with member of the group.

not to mention they implied that his solo career was a failure, while in reality each project of his went platinum.

and of course they tried to pretend that Real Muthafuckin G's never happened. song still hurts Dre to this day!

i've heard good things about the Scarface album. still need to listen.
Exactly. If anything us NWA fans were loving Eazy solo shit MORE and he had those tracks with Bone Thugs??

If that movie made him look like a bitch and a failure i hate even more than i did just merely aa a concept! But like i said, Eazy gets his revenge because when all these people look up his discography they gonna find 187 (Dr Dre) Kill Um Its On and Straight Off Da Muthaphuckin Streetz and hear DA REAL

Old 09.08.2015, 06:48 PM   #1531
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

And Real Muthaphuckin Gz is a westcoast gangsta rap masterpiece along with Da Muthaphuckin Real

Old 09.09.2015, 10:01 AM   #1532
Severian
invito al cielo

To be honest, it was the "Dre Day" video and the wanton disrespect with which the Death Row crew publicly treated Eazy-E that initially colored my impression of the character of those artists. Admittedly, I was quite young at the time, but I was old enough to be buying the records and following the story. From a creative perspective, it seemed so low. Who was Dr. Dre without Eazy-E? And to have Snoop playing along... What the fuck business was it of his? Those kind of public attempts at humiliation and character assassination only take place in two social ecosystems: high schools and in the early stages of rap careers, when personalities are formed by allegiances, and media bloated turf wars.
Old 09.09.2015, 11:16 AM   #1533
Severian
invito al cielo

Now I've got myself all wrapped up watching interviews and reading about points of contention surrounding the film...

Christ, Yella is a dipshit, I swear. Obviously he has (had) skills and was a big part of the sound of both SOC and the later material that was so crucial to g-funk, but the guy has the intellect of a fatty corpuscle.

It's sad to listen to him talk about the group's legacy. He's a clueless human being who was clearly running on autopilot for much of his own life. When asked how many times "the '4 Life' album" went platinum, he kinda makes a blowfish face and says something like,

"had to be double... Cause remember it was number 1. It hit at #1, which is... Even today, I believe, is veeeery rare.... Especially for a hip hop album!"

It's kinda hard not to drop your jaw at that. What the hell is wrong with this guy? He also had no concept of the legal or contractual elements of being on a label. He doesn't know when he was or wasn't on or off contract, and has no idea about the rest of the group. It's like he never thought about it.

I also read an interesting (and long) piece on Heller containing a revealing interview. I didn't know Paul Giamatti was playing that role, but I'm sure he nails it.
Old 09.09.2015, 03:05 PM   #1534
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
To be honest, it was the "Dre Day" video and the wanton disrespect with which the Death Row crew publicly treated Eazy-E that initially colored my impression of the character of those artists. Admittedly, I was quite young at the time, but I was old enough to be buying the records and following the story. From a creative perspective, it seemed so low. Who was Dr. Dre without Eazy-E? And to have Snoop playing along... What the fuck business was it of his? Those kind of public attempts at humiliation and character assassination only take place in two social ecosystems: high schools and in the early stages of rap careers, when personalities are formed by allegiances, and media bloated turf wars.
Well, in the spirit of honesty Eazy actually started the diss tracks and videos...

Old 09.09.2015, 05:35 PM   #1535
louder
invito al cielo

Dre Day is so trash lyrically, laughable.
Old 09.13.2015, 05:24 AM   #1536
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Something Close To A Religious Exdperience On A Sunday Morning
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2015, 02:53 PM   #1537
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
yeah I saw Straight Out of Compton. no comment. Such can get mad but im not really a fan of West Coast hip hop. I don't want to hear you rap, shut up and just go to the beach motherfucker!!!!
Funny, here in the west about the east we like, "i don't wanna hear you talk, shut up and just rap!"

Old 09.14.2015, 03:35 PM   #1538
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Funny, here in the west about the east we like, "i don't wanna hear you talk, shut up and just rap!"

Actually I agree. I was born and raised on the west coast, and I've spent most of my life there, but I have always preferred East Coast hip hop. But still, I get this sentiment. I don't want talking on my rap records. I don't want skits, or a helluva lot of dramatic backstory or narration... but there certainly is a lot of that, and there kinda always has been.

But anyway, I've decided to steer clear of SOC for now. I keep hearing and reading more about the depiction of Eazy, and I'm just not super interested in this film if Eazy-E isn't going to be the main protagonist, or at the very least a character treated with some reverence and respect.

Part of me thinks it's fucked up for an artist to be involved in the making of his/her own biopic. I mean, perhaps as a consultant- yeah. And the estate needs to approve for the bio to be official. But I'm really kind of a stickler about coloring the past to make certain people look good, and to revitalize certain careers.

Coloring/distorting history and selling it is as bad as falsifying scientific data and publishing it.
Old 09.14.2015, 03:36 PM   #1539
Severian
invito al cielo

Maybe if ONE of y'all had something good to say about this flick, I'd check it out. But he'll, I haven't even seen Notorious! I really dislike biopics, and they can be REALLY bad when they're about an artist or group that means a lot to me/you/the viewer (like Biggie and, yes, NWA). Even though I have a lot of bad shit to say about most of the group, the truth is that I am an NWA fan, and I always have been. So far I have no reason to believe this is worth my time.
Old 09.14.2015, 04:01 PM   #1540
Severian
invito al cielo

Just as a reminder that things other than Straight Outta Compton are still happening in hip-hop, I've got to say that I am really enjoying Travi$ Scott's Rodeo.

Stupid ass album cover. Christ, there are so many cool concepts for cover art out there, I really don't know why this lame ass pic was chosen. There was better art out there for Days Before Rodeo too. Why this?

Anyway... I really like the album. I like the way it kicks off ("Pornography" is a truly Kanye-esque moment. The song kinda goes nowhere in the end, but the initial blend of hip hop, dark r&b and post-punk sounds really grabs me), and I love the features (Thanks again to Kanye); not even Justin Bieber can fucking up a track here.

I won't say it's brilliant or anything, but I keep listening and I keep enjoying, while DS2 just totally flatlined for me. I feel like this is closer to a B4.DA.$$-quality major label debut.

Also- who's keeping up with Underachievers? Heir new album is about to drop. I dislike one of the leading singles, but remain hopeful and optimistic. But why the fuck aren't they on Brainfeeder? I thought they signed with FlyLo prior to Cellar Door, but this new record seems to be on "RPM"... No mention of Fly's stories imprint.
67747576 77 78798087 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth