Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.03.2010, 03:28 PM   #11681
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
^My favorite Miyazaki hands down. Untouchable. I don't think it drags at all, in fact I feel like the ending it kind of rushed. Fantastic movie.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2010, 03:54 PM   #11682
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
good stuff either way man.
Old 08.03.2010, 03:56 PM   #11683
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Nausica kicks ass.
Favorite miyazaki movies:
1.Princess Mononoke
2. Castle of Cagliostro
3. Spirited Away
Old 08.03.2010, 03:59 PM   #11684
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely drags, but it's my favorite film by him too. I find a lot of his stuff boring. I've seen everything he's done and I just... I dunno, I guess he's one of those people who even people who don't like anime enjoy watching. But I love anime and I don't really watch the kinda stuff he does. I like either super heavy stuff (Grave of the Fireflies) or supersurreal stuff (Cat Soup, Mind Game, etc)... I think Satoshi Kon is good at balancing both. The Damon Packard live action short remake of Naussiccaa is amazing, btw..

fugazifan, it doesn't matter what order you watch those Antonioni's film. Definitely see Red Desert if you can.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2010, 03:59 PM   #11685
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am running through the miyazaki's on netflix.

I have yet to watch

Porco Rosso
Castle of Cagliostro
Old 08.03.2010, 04:03 PM   #11686
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

permanent midnight - 5/10

You know what? Ben Stiller is possibly the worst actor alive. He's not even my most hated actor or anything. But everything I've read about him suggests that he's a huge egomaniac asshole with all kinds of disorders.. okay, whatever, right?... but it blows my mind that he's allowed to be a dick to everyone when he consistently makes shitty films.. The only thing good he's ever done was his making of Cable Guy..

He acts the same in every movie he's been in. This is not a comedy, but he acted pretty much like he does in all of his "comedies", which is to say, not funny, because he never acts "funny" in his comedies either.

Anyway, this movie is about the drug addict who made that Alf show, and is pretty much what you'd expect about this kind of stuff. Stiller is insane and sweating and writing and the direction is interesting at times (lots of jump cuts) but the movie goes nowhere and does nothing.

Old 08.03.2010, 04:08 PM   #11687
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I too hates me some Ben Stiller, but I will grant that he is effective (not good, but effective) in roles where he is playing the straight man.

I know you don;t like tennebaums, but he was perfect in that, exactly as neurotic and anal as the character needed, and not trying to be funny.

and in Tropic Thunder, which I know you don't like too much. he directed it and that is as close as he will ever get to a masterpiece! ha! I laugh so much at that movie. soooooo much...

BUt when Ben Stiller is supposed to carry the funny? MASSIVE FAIL
Old 08.03.2010, 04:10 PM   #11688
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I think Tropic Thunder is really good actually. Which is strange considering I hate EVERYONE in it, except Robert Downey Jr. But it's genuinely funny at times, and clever. I actually like Zoolander alright, love Cable Guy, and quite like Reality Bites. So, strangely, I kinda like the movies he directs...

Anyway, the best reason to watch Permanent Midnight is this scene where a german girl fucks Stiller and goes, "I'M FUCKING A JEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 08.03.2010, 04:36 PM   #11689
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Definitely drags, but it's my favorite film by him too. I find a lot of his stuff boring. I've seen everything he's done and I just... I dunno, I guess he's one of those people who even people who don't like anime enjoy watching. But I love anime and I don't really watch the kinda stuff he does. I like either super heavy stuff (Grave of the Fireflies) or supersurreal stuff (Cat Soup, Mind Game, etc)... I think Satoshi Kon is good at balancing both. The Damon Packard live action short remake of Naussiccaa is amazing, btw..

fugazifan, it doesn't matter what order you watch those Antonioni's film. Definitely see Red Desert if you can.
ive seen red dessert (need to rewatch it) blow up a few times the passenger and lavventura. its just that lavventura la notte and leclisse are considered some kind of trilogy. but you say that it doesnt matter?
oh, and, how bad is zabriski point? from the trailer it seems to have an easy rider meets jodorowski feel to it.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2010, 05:00 PM   #11690
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Any of you Miyazaki fans see this?

When Nausicaa was first ported over here, it just got mutilated. They changed so much of it, cut scenes, changed the names, the plot. It's pretty much a different movie, out of control really. Miyazaki was devastated.

Anyway, haven't really caught any movies lately, just been watching Dexter.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2010, 05:07 PM   #11691
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

He acts the same in every movie he's been in. This is not a comedy, but he acted pretty much like he does in all of his "comedies", which is to say, not funny, because he never acts "funny" in his comedies either.

I feel the same exact way about Adam Sandler, he plays the exact same character in every movie and it's never even remotely funny. I don't like Ben Stiller too much either, but as Rob pointed out he has his merits. Adam Sandler gives us nothing and has never given us anything.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2010, 05:10 PM   #11692
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

adam sandler was even terrible when he was playing Theo's friend on the cosby show!
Old 08.03.2010, 06:21 PM   #11693
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
ive seen red dessert (need to rewatch it) blow up a few times the passenger and lavventura. its just that lavventura la notte and leclisse are considered some kind of trilogy. but you say that it doesnt matter?
oh, and, how bad is zabriski point? from the trailer it seems to have an easy rider meets jodorowski feel to it.

It's not really a trilogy, the films aren't connected except by themes, and with similiar titles.

Zabriskie Point is a laughable mess, almost unwatchable at times, but still interesting in a weird way. It just goes on too long. It's this whole anti-consumerism, anti-American thing, and it just... drags and drags... seems to be a weird collage of all of his films combined...

Identification of a Woman is one of my favorites by him, but no one ever talks about that one...

Old 08.03.2010, 07:05 PM   #11694
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

slime city - 10/10

Been into this movie since I was like 14... FINALLY replaced my DESTROYED vhs copy I probably watched 100 times with one of the nicest, cleanest little dvd's ever, that shock-o-rama released... I cannot BELIEVE how well they cleaned this movie up... anyway, for fans of Henenlotter.. Street Trash... Evil Dead 2... and Body Melt... this movie is great.. since this was one of the first horror films I ever loved, I thought this was what the whole genre was going to be about, weird bodily fluid paint splatters and weird ass talking decapitated heads and shit... unfortunately, the "absolutely fucking insane low-budget with tons of weird effects" genre is very very small...

One thing I will say is that this movie had no following whatsoever when I first joined imdb, I was the 2nd reviewer for it, and there were 30 votes.. and I just looked and there are 15 reviews, 240 ratings, and the message board is packed. THere's also a sequel now?! What the hell? So, I'm glad people are finally starting to pick up on this classic!

Old 08.03.2010, 08:08 PM   #11695
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
^I really need to get that one.
Old 08.04.2010, 11:25 AM   #11696
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
How can you mention how bad Stiller is and leave his butt buddy Owen alone? The only Sandler film I can watch is Waterboy thank God some real actors showed up to carry it for him. I cried when I saw how he ruined Permanent Midnight as I had read the book ahead of time and was hopping for something special.
Old 08.04.2010, 11:27 AM   #11697
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses

6/10 they actually made it sympathetic toward Nixon. I remember it live and I sure didn't feel sorry for Nixon
Old 08.04.2010, 11:31 AM   #11698
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

fuck Nixon.

I watched this yesterday. Very funny and weird and at times infuriatingly odd.
9/10

Old 08.04.2010, 11:34 AM   #11699
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Permanent Midnight sucked.

I'm okay with Stiller sometimes. I actually like Zoolander a lot as just a really dumbass silly movie. I have a few like that. Joe Dirt's another. Shrug.

I find Owen Wilson funny personally.

Stiller is always hit or miss. I liked him in Meet The Parents though.
Old 08.04.2010, 01:28 PM   #11700
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
How can you mention how bad Stiller is and leave his butt buddy Owen alone? The only Sandler film I can watch is Waterboy thank God some real actors showed up to carry it for him. I cried when I saw how he ruined Permanent Midnight as I had read the book ahead of time and was hopping for something special.

Owen Wilson is easier to ignore.

They both SUCK ASS.

485535575582583584 585 5865875885956356851085 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth