Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unpopular Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2007, 06:01 AM   #761
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
sarramkrop - considering the amount of, er, less than cuddly love for homosexuals that not a few of Jamaica's musicians have evinced, sooner or later someone would have asked Marley about this. Personally, I have my suspicions that "One Love" didn't extend to the likes of us. No big deal or surprise to me, really. Hence the unpopular opinion from me.
Old 05.13.2007, 06:08 AM   #762
sarramkrop

That's true, to an extent , but what's the point of pre-emptying things when the man is dead? And i find his music to be utter rubbish, regardless of any homophobic remarks that could have or could have not come up. If anything what bugs me more is the fact that if someone makes a racist comment in their lyrics or interviews, they're more likely to get crucified by the media, but if a reggae or NOT reggae musician makes a homophobic one, there's less of a fuss being made. In any case, i still listen to reggae because i enjoy it and try to ignore certain dancehall lyrics as much as one possibly can. After all, a few of the metal bands that i like are just as stupid , when it comes to the lyrics and general attitude.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 06:19 AM   #763
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
It's the old liberal guilt thing, isn't it? I enjoy listening to Burzum, in spite of Vikernes' pronouncements. I'm totally against the idea of not listening to music because of the beliefs of the musician (I differ with Peter Tatchell here), but I'm also not blind to them either. If I came out with my view on Marley at work, I'd be crucified and be called racist to boot You're right in the sense that speculating about the dead is ultimately pointless, but hell, why not, if it stimulates a debate?
Old 05.13.2007, 06:28 AM   #764
sarramkrop

Peter Tatchell can go and fuck himself. He REALLY, REALLY fucking annoys me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 06:33 AM   #765
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

I wasn't expecting that response from you, sarramkrop! He used to get on my nerves, but not so much these days.

More opinions - the Boss Hog "Action Box" 2x7" is far better than anything the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion has recorded.
Old 05.13.2007, 06:40 AM   #766
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I wasn't expecting that response from you, sarramkrop! He used to get on my nerves, but not so much these days.

More opinions - the Boss Hog "Action Box" 2x7" is far better than anything the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion has recorded.

What has he done these days that is worth a mention? Chained himself to the Islington branch of Clone Zone with a sign that says that there should be more stereotypical gay clothes shops than the two or three that already exist?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 06:43 AM   #767
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Ha ha ha! I respect (note: not necessarily agree with) him for his human rights work in general. I don't feel he represents me as a gay person (and indeed, take umbrage if anyone mentions that to me....makes me feel like saying, "So, does Liam Gallagher represent YOU then?").
Old 05.13.2007, 06:56 AM   #768
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Music should be made by people with reprehensible opinions. I'll take Burzum or Sizzla or Prussian Blue over Travis or whoever any day. I saw Travis ont' telly on Friday. They seem like thoroughly nice chaps who I'd like to have a pint with. And never, ever listen to their God-awful music (U-16 girls excepted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 07:06 AM   #769
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, what happened to Travis. U16 Girls was a fairly rollocking good singalong type indie thing but since then it's been almost exclusively drivel. The stuff I've had the misfortune to hear anyway.

Did you see them on Jools Holland perchance. I happened to flip over to it the other night, saw that Newsome was on it and thought "ooh, I'll watch this for a bit" but I didn't get as far as Newsome, I had to turn it off as soon as Beverly Night started her second 'number'. Grinderman were surprisingly tedious as well.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 07:12 AM   #770
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Surprisingly, Grinderman were the one slight relief from the otherwise Radio 2 album chart-tastic show. I don't really like what I've heard of the record though. That Newsom lass annoys me endlessly. Dizzee Rascal was utterly magnificent, but then I would say that.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.13.2007, 07:12 AM   #771
Glice
invito al cielo

There was 'all I wanna do is rock' as well. That was an ace tune.

Quote:
Old 05.13.2007, 07:35 AM   #772
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a massice Newsom fan, I don't actually own her records or anything, but I wanted to see it for some reason. I forgot about Dizzee Rascal. I really love some of his stuff (Fix Up, Look Sharp especially) but I thought he was totally rubbish on Jools Holland. Mainly because the song he did was a bit lame.
Old 05.13.2007, 07:50 AM   #773
sarramkrop

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 08:51 AM   #774
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i used to work with a scottish guy who grew up in a village where the bass player from travis's dad had a pub. he told be travis were really nice guys and they were just sick of being poor so they tried their hand at selling out.

snow patrol i suppose did the same thing, their first album had some decentish sub-yatsura tunes on it.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 09:24 AM   #775
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
I think that many "music fans" don't actually like music.

My siblings, for example.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 09:29 AM   #776
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
I think that many "music fans" don't actually like music.

My siblings, for example.
That's not entirely untrue. Many music fans deserve their tongue to be cut out and their typing fingers chopped off, that way they could concentrate on listening to the music a little better.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 09:59 AM   #777
Iain
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i used to work with a scottish guy who grew up in a village where the bass player from travis's dad had a pub. he told be travis were really nice guys and they were just sick of being poor so they tried their hand at selling out.

snow patrol i suppose did the same thing, their first album had some decentish sub-yatsura tunes on it.

I think "decentish sub yatsura tunes" is about the nicest thing it's legitimate to say about Snow Patrol. They were around for ages before they got 'big'. I can't even remember what they sounded like when hardly anyone cared about them but I don't recall them being much cop.
Old 05.13.2007, 10:35 AM   #778
Glice
invito al cielo

I confused Snow Patrol with the Reindeer Section for ages. The description 'sub-Yatsura' should be applied more frequently to indie pop. I effing loves that band I does.

Quote:
Old 05.13.2007, 10:48 AM   #779
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
next time i go to my mum's house i'll fish out my copy of snow patrol's first album and give it a listen, if there are any still decent sounding tunes i'll upload them.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2007, 10:53 AM   #780
sarramkrop

I had some of their early 7'' singles, at one point, but i can't recall what they sounded like at all. I never liked Travis but i don't hate/ think of them either.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
363738 39 4041424989 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth