Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2015, 11:02 PM   #521
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
An OF primer? Yeah, that could easily be arranged. Do you want a playlist, or just a guide (where to start, and where to go from there...)?

Louder, NR and I could all do this for you pretty fucking easily.

If you have either a reliable torrent site or $$ to spend on iTunes, I would recommend the following trajectory:

Start with OF's Radical from 2010. No, it's not their first release, but if we're going for efficiency here, skip The Odd Future Tape vol.1, and dog right the fuck into this.

If you like it, immediately get 2011's 12 Odd Future Songs, as well as Tyler, the Creator's debut Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt's first mixtape titled EARL, Frank Ocean's EXCELLENT early mixtape Nostalgia.Ultra and the breakthrough album BlackenedWhite by MellowHype (OF-spin off project by members Hodgy Beats and Left Brain; prod. Left Brain, and one of the best albums in the history of the group, (though this fact is often overlooked or
simply ignored)

If you like what you hear, congrats you're probably a fan. Download Tyler's Goblin, the OF tapes (1 and 2), Domo Genesis's badass mixtapes and whatever else you can get your hands on. Steer clear of Wolf, because I think I've come to the conclusion that it sucks.

THE BEST ODD FUTURE STUDIO ALBUMS ARE: Frank Ocean's ChannelORANGE and Earl's Doris. That's the god's honest truth. I'm tempted to say Nostalgia.Ultra instead of Doris, but I don't want to sound like a twat. Seriously though, Frank Ocean is the best and most interesting, most mature, classiest, most incentive creative voice in the group, and broths doesn't even really rap. Like, ever.

Happy hunting.

fuck Odd Future. boring shit!!! they are a shock rap group that wasted their time in 2011. yr wasting yr time with these guys. Earl is the only one you need to bother with who is really a boring pot head loser like the rest. and Frank Ocean, but he's more R&B.

go with Frank Ocean.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2015, 11:18 PM   #522
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a broken record, but y'all need to mess w/ Mike G. He sounds nothing like the rest of OF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3udde6Hfs
Old 03.27.2015, 11:23 PM   #523
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout
speaking of Ghostface??...no mention of 36 Seasons here?

we already talked that up when it came out. He's already on his next album, Sour Soul which I think we all unanimously love.
Old 03.28.2015, 05:32 AM   #524
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Truthfully though, I hate pretty much *all* white rappers. I mean, of course I love El-P and the Beasties, and a small handful of other notable who have avoided sounding like complete fucking assholes when they rap... But I really can't stand SO many of them.

Bronson, like Jonwayne, just does it right. I don't sit and think "Wow, this guy really is white inn't he?" when I listen to his records. He may be pulling from Pretty Tony's magic tophat, but he sounds so much more comfortable in his flow than all those other bitches.

Oh, and Mackerel-more sucks a fat load of shit too. Ha.

Moron comment of the year. Well done.

I mean, I feel the same when I hear black people in rock music. "Wow, he's so black!" they just sound so out of place. You want every white person to sound like Your Old Droog?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 10:35 AM   #525
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
feel like bumping some Beasties today.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 01:56 PM   #526
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

I mean, I feel the same when I hear black people in rock music. "Wow, he's so black!" they just sound so out of place. You want every white person to sound like Your Old Droog?
You realize you just upped him for the pole position of moron comment of the year right?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 03:00 PM   #527
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You realize you just upped him for the pole position of moron comment of the year right?

And the can of worms opens.

Please go on.

Old 03.28.2015, 07:29 PM   #528
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Ok, UHH... Your analogy sucks because Rn'R is basically a synonym for "white people ripping off black people." This leads me to believe that you either suck at analogies or history, but I don't want to get into a nut busting contest with you. I try to fight fair, and you've only been a slight prock to me a couple of times, so... fuck it, we're even.

But listen- it's not that I hate all white rappers. I dropped a few names to help make this clear. What I have a problem with is rappers who essentially make a career out of doing a blackface act with their voices.

White rappers who don't even consider rapping naturally, and instead try their damnedest to sound black! This is not a figment of my imagination... it's a national goddamn past time that goes way beyond rap music, affecting high school and middle school social dynamics all over the Midwest!

Is it moronic that I find it moronic that hip-hop culture, ghetto culture, crime/prison culture, and fucking black culture are all being rolled into a giant California roll of identity by the soft, frail minds of ignorant assholes throughout the U.S.? Rap in your own goddamn voice!

Finally, there was even an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that used this very issue as it's hilarious sub-premise:
What's worse: blackface or black-voice?

So reel it in, man. I have a right to think this shit is absurd. If you think that makes me intolerant or culturally ignorant or blah blah, must I remind you that we're having this argument in the hip-hop thread I've been visiting every day for the past three years?

Do I think white people are bad? Yeah, plenty of them. Are they bad at rapping? Not as a rule.. not at all. Does it piss me off when they wear a "rap voice" like a curly wig? Yeah, kinda! Am I a moron? Probably... but not because of this.

"Moron post of the year"... Jesus... Goddamn drama queen.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 07:41 PM   #529
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And the can of worms opens.

Please go on.
Oh, i had nothing more to add other than that.

Old 03.28.2015, 07:57 PM   #530
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Oh, i had nothing more to add other than that.

I did, but it was kind of a huge waste of time, and if you'd just called me a moron a few minutes ago, I don't think I would have responded or cared.

So, what do you guys wanna do now? We could see if my dad has any Hustlers under his matress... ?
Old 03.28.2015, 08:06 PM   #531
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
feel like bumping some Beasties today.

Good call, me too. Hmm- what's it gonna be? Ill Communication, I expect. It's been a while since I gave that album play.

I've been a pretty shitty Beasties fan. My favorite albums have been Check Your Head, Hello Nasty and Paul's Boutique (from earliest favorite to current favorite... It's been Paul's for probably 10 years), but never Ill C. Never 5 Boroughs.

I feel like I have some serious revisiting of old Beasties albums to do.
Old 03.28.2015, 08:25 PM   #532
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
go with Pauls Boutique louder. great spring time album. do they have springtime in Jew land? if not, just step across the street and knock on Babylons door. bet they're have fun.

back to Odd Future.........Tyler comes up with some neat beats but his rapping is like watching some retarded kid trying to fit the square peg into the circle hole.

IT DOESN't FIT U MORON!!!!

ok, that was mean but this is a message board. sorry.

side note: if you scroll up and down on this page real fast you'll see a Theloniuos Monk cover.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 08:26 PM   #533
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout
im enjoying this guy right now. he's funny and has a great flow. Ghostface came to mind before i read the complete post.

love the one with Chance the Rapper.

speaking of Ghostface??...no mention of 36 Seasons here?

First off, sweet. Glad some people are paying attention to this incredibly solid album. Sometimes I feel like my outspoken praise of an album that's already getting hype outside the café could mean Death By Inattention in the café.

Like poor Doley Bernays and his boss mix EP Just In Case.
Or Kool AD's Word OK.
Or Underachievers' Tweminus...
Or Black Milk, y'know, just in general.
Open Mike Eagle.
You get the idea.

But I suppose Bronson's too big to be missed by now. His album fucking follows through, for sure. Switching back and forth between Mr. Wonderful & Blue Chips and I feel like he's every bit as on-point as he was when he dropped that insane EP.

Second, look in the Louder's hip-hop café III thread. I made a number of grand, possibly exaggerated statements about the album's quality, using LOTS of caps. I think I even said it was "better than 12 Reasons to Die," and "one of the 10 best albums of 2014 irrespective of genre"....

Haha. Wheew!

Turns out it was my #3 hip-hop album of the year after Underachievers' Terminus... and Freddie Gibbs & Madlib's Pińata.

Something like #22 of the year overall.

It's still an incredible album. It's best moments are better than the best on 12 Reasons... But it had a couple flaws. The storyline worked, contrary to the critics, but I agree that it was too soon to hit us with the exact same fucking premise... he should have put out Sour Soul with BBNG first (it is a great fucking album), and maybe one more classic Tony album too, before bringing out something as conceptually redundant as 36 Seasons.

Still, it amazes me every time I hear it. Another great GFK record, and yet another reason why he's the king of the Clan formerly known as Wu-Tang.
Old 03.28.2015, 08:26 PM   #534
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok, UHH... Your analogy sucks because Rn'R is basically a synonym for "white people ripping off black people." This leads me to believe that you either suck at analogies or history, but I don't want to get into a nut busting contest with you. I try to fight fair, and you've only been a slight prock to me a couple of times, so... fuck it, we're even.

But listen- it's not that I hate all white rappers. I dropped a few names to help make this clear. What I have a problem with is rappers who essentially make a career out of doing a blackface act with their voices.

White rappers who don't even consider rapping naturally, and instead try their damnedest to sound black! This is not a figment of my imagination... it's a national goddamn past time that goes way beyond rap music, affecting high school and middle school social dynamics all over the Midwest!

Is it moronic that I find it moronic that hip-hop culture, ghetto culture, crime/prison culture, and fucking black culture are all being rolled into a giant California roll of identity by the soft, frail minds of ignorant assholes throughout the U.S.? Rap in your own goddamn voice!

Finally, there was even an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that this very issue as it's hilarious sub-premise:
What's worse: blackface or black-voice?

So reel it in, man. I have a right to think this shit is absurd. If you think that makes me intolerant or culturally ignorant or blah blah, must I remind you that we're having this argument in the hip-hop thread I've been visiting every day for the past three years?

Do I think white people are bad? Yeah, plenty of them. Are they bad at rapping? Not as a rule.. not at all. Does it piss me off when they wear a "rap voice" like a curly wig? Yeah, kinda! Am I a moron? Probably... but not because of this.

"Moron post of the year"... Jesus... Goddamn drama queen.

You've totally contradicted yourself there. You're saying in this post that you hate the fact that white people are trying to sound black, but then in your previous quote you go on saying about how with Action you don't feel "Wow, this guy really is white inn't he?". But...but he's white...

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that the only decent, successful (which is rare) white rappers out there are the ones using their own voice. Anyone else (as I've already said Your Old Droog) won't matter in the long run. And rightly so.

As for white kids wanting to sound black, what can you expect.? A music industry as huge and influential as rap has become is gonna push kids into wanting to speak the lingo and slang of their favourite rappers (who are generally black). The exoticism and 'other-worldly', and to be honest almost romanticised world of rap makes kids think the living in the slums where some of the greats have come out is cool. Is it? Fuck no. The problem is that you have an industry pushing the worst kind of gangster rap from 50 Cent to DMX (you may like them, but fuck 'em) and make drug dealing, gun crime etc. seem almost cool. When you look properly at what Wu Tang, GZA, and certainly more recently, Kendrick are saying this is only their world because they've been forced into it.
Kids are susceptible and easy to influence. It takes someone interesting to rap in their own voice white or black. But it's also in some ways harder for them to break out.

Quote:
Your analogy sucks because Rn'R is basically a synonym for "white people ripping off black people."

With this I'm reminded of the quote by Keith Richards when they were releasing Little Red Roster
Quote:
We have been blessed by the music that we listened to, and let's see if we can actually spin it back around and make American white kids listen to Little Red Rooster. You had it all the time, pal, you know. You just didn't listen."
They weren't ripping off blues/Rock n' Roll, they were massively influenced by it and wanted to play it because they loved it. Only with their own voice. This wasn't Pat fucking Boone cleaning the blues and turning it into a toothpaste commercial to appeal to racist America, they still had that gritty feel.

Quote:
and you've only been a slight prock to me a couple of times, so... fuck it, we're even

I've racked my brains and I honestly can't remember when we've crossed paths before. Either way I apologise.

Old 03.28.2015, 08:28 PM   #535
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

ANNNNNNNNDDDD breathe.

Old 03.28.2015, 10:11 PM   #536
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
.Either way I apologise.

there. Was that really so hard?

Old 03.29.2015, 03:14 AM   #537
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
there. Was that really so hard?

What am I apologising about? I ain't apologising for what I've just said that's for sure, cos it really was a silly comment by Sev that needed to be pointed out.

"insert HILARIOUS gif from sfad*

Old 03.29.2015, 04:33 PM   #538
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 03.29.2015, 06:41 PM   #539
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
You've totally contradicted yourself there. You're saying in this post that you hate the fact that white people are trying to sound black, but then in your previous quote you go on saying about how with Action you don't feel "Wow, this guy really is white inn't he?". But...but he's white...

I get what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood, or I was unclear. When I refer to those "Damn, this guy really is white inn't he?" artists I'm talking about the ones who try so hard to sound like they're not white. It's like, for all the effort Eminem put into developing a unique voice, he just *couldn't* shake that godawful conversational "street drawl" of his. So even though his flow was successfully and refreshingly not a shameful imitation of Dre, Meth, Pac or BIG, he still couldn't overcome his inclination to distance himself from Whitie. So he adopted mannerisms that were so awkwardly unnatural that even he just makes me think "Damn... This motherfucker sure is WHITE! I mean, listen to how subtle and cool he's trying to be about his very his very obvious attempt to NOT sound like whatever he thinks a lame white guy sounds like!"

In the end, all it did was make him more conspicuous.

Action Bronson DOES sound pretty white... like a white Ghostface, maybe, but white nonetheless. As a result, I'm not preoccupied by thoughts of how utterly white he is when I listen to him. But when I'm listening to a rapper who really lays on the "street" accent to compensate for his whiteness, it's really hard to think about anything else.

Quote:
Originally posted by h8kurdt:

As for white kids wanting to sound black, what can you expect.? A music industry as huge and influential as rap has become is gonna push kids into wanting to speak the lingo and slang of their favourite rappers (who are generally black). The exoticism and 'other-worldly', and to be honest almost romanticised world of rap makes kids think the living in the slums where some of the greats have come out is cool. Is it? Fuck no. The problem is that you have an industry pushing the worst kind of gangster rap from 50 Cent to DMX (you may like them, but fuck 'em) and make drug dealing, gun crime etc. seem almost cool. When you look properly at what Wu Tang, GZA, and certainly more recently, Kendrick are saying this is only their world because they've been forced into it.
Kids are susceptible and easy to influence. It takes someone interesting to rap in their own voice white or black. But it's also in some ways harder for them to break out.

Cool! Fine! That's not at all what I was talking about of course, and it's not what I took issue with... But.. Y'know... Sure!

Anyway... I think we're veering wildly off topic with the Keith Richards quotes and all the generalizing. All I said was that I don't like most white rappers, but I like plenty of them. I don't like the ones who are trying to talk like black people because I find that entire idea kind of disgusting, and I think some of our deep-seated racism becomes humiliatingly obvious when the "totally liberal" media pretends that the Mackelmores of the world are Grammy-contenders, and champions of a genre, when in reality they're the worst the genre has to offer, and I know SO many rappers who deserve a tiny bit of credit for their amazing work that it irks me when Mackelmore gets Grammys and Album of the Year nods and XXL's Artist of the Year award when his output is like a flaming bag of dogshit compared to the WORST of Fabolous's recent mixtapes. You know?

But let's stop talking about this now, and move on to something less polarizing and time consuming.
Old 03.29.2015, 06:46 PM   #540
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i feel like a prejudiced fucker. can someone recommend me some new hiphop that does not glorify consumption, small brain fantasies of guns & luxury cars & platinum debt, and actually stands for something not-low-IQ?

POR FAVOR.

the spiritual heirs of KRS-One and public enemy. they must live somewhere. definitely not on the radio. kardashians need not apply.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
242526 27 2829303777 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth