Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Throw out the old gods, Boredoms are the new gods
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2007, 07:21 PM   #21
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
one of my wishes is to see them play. i'd really love that. i could see it taking me out of my body, across the universe, to the inside of a cozy volcano, and into a body of the most tranquil waters while my soul turns inside out with glee and rains on the desert, giving life to dying plants...maybe that's just me, though.

something tells me that it won't happen until i move to new york, next year, though. :-(

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2007, 05:53 AM   #22
sarramkrop

I saw them a few years ago and they were one of the best gigs I have ever been to. They are also the only band that got me a complaint from a customer when I used to work in a record shop. I was playing Super Ae and he stormed out saying that it was terrible shite. I put it on even louder.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2007, 09:29 AM   #23
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
Saw them last night - wow!

Was that in Dublin in the Village? Was there too, what a magic experience!
Old 11.13.2007, 09:49 AM   #24
sarramkrop

http://wizardishungry.com/blog/page/4
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 09:45 PM   #25
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I saw them a few years ago and they were one of the best gigs I have ever been to. They are also the only band that got me a complaint from a customer when I used to work in a record shop. I was playing Super Ae and he stormed out saying that it was terrible shite. I put it on even louder.

Hats off to you Sir

I played some to freinds this weekend and they just grinned and went "what???" which is the exact same reaction i had on my first Boredoms exposure.

I hate to make approximations, but when i first listened to Trout Mask Replica i had so much fun, and Chocolate Synthesiser gave me a similar experience. I was on the tube a couple of weeks ago with my big headphones and Anrachy in the UKK came on and everyone in my immediate radius looked at me as if i was mad.
I dont understand this band, but the confusion is beautiful

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 10:45 PM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
im trying to go through my boredoms records and trying to decide whats my favorite. their just one of those incredibly consistent bands whos catalog seems to just blend together into one long masterpiece, i mean they dont have their "exile on main street" or their "pet sounds" yknow, just tons of amazing alblums that all blast you into different realms of outerspace. i sound like a wank, dont i? o well...
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 10:45 PM   #27
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
im trying to go through my boredoms records and trying to decide whats my favorite. their just one of those incredibly consistent bands whos catalog seems to just blend together into one long masterpiece, i mean they dont have their "exile on main street" or their "pet sounds" yknow, just tons of amazing alblums that all blast you into different realms of outerspace. i sound like a wank, dont i? o well...
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 11:13 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah.. here's what I think...

1. vision creation newsun
2. wow2
3. super roots 9
4. super ae
5. super roots 6
6. chocolate synthesizer
7. rebore 0
8. pop tatari
9. super roots 5
10. super roots 3
11. soul discharge
12. seadrum
13. super roots 7
14. onanie bomb meets sex pistols
15. super roots 8
16. rebore 1
17. super roots 2
18. super roots 1

Something like that.

Boredoms are noteworthy for having three of the most talented people ever in one band (Yoshimi is just amazing, Seiichi is probably the best guitarist I've ever heard, and Eye is godlike). I tripped last night to Super AE actually, and my friend said, "Boredoms are the best music to trip to." Indeed. Vision Creation Newsun is my favorite album of all time, and Super Going is my favorite song of all time. I know some people who don't like them that much, I don't know anyone that HATES them, but... to me, they can do no wrong. Though Omoide Hatoba is a little bit better than Boredoms are...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 07:00 AM   #29
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
From what I've heard by Boredoms, I would have to agree with you that Vision Creation Newsun is brilliant and my favorite one so far.
Don't like Super Roots 9 though.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 09:11 AM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Indeed. I think Super AE is probably their, um, "classic" album, the one I'd tell everyone to buy (and the one I'll eventually make a thread for) because it features the best of their old sound and their new song (and is one of the best guitar albums ever). But I like the three I placed about it a bit more, and ... yeah. Vision Creation Newsun is just some godlike thing. I don't even know... I can see you not liking Super Roots 9, but it just blew me away. Just heavenly. No one hits those godhead peaks like Boredoms.

Old 11.14.2007, 09:46 AM   #31
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
The music on Super Roots 9 is great, but I'm not keen on the vocals.
Haven't heard any of the other Roots. Are they similar or completely different?
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 03:27 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, all the super roots are different.

Old 11.14.2007, 03:38 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh cool, that thing Pork posted with all the album covers has a Renaldo and the Loaf in the top right corner. What is that, anyway? Eye's favorite albums?

Old 11.14.2007, 07:32 PM   #34
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh cool, that thing Pork posted with all the album covers has a Renaldo and the Loaf in the top right corner. What is that, anyway? Eye's favorite albums?

correct me if i'm wrong, and i'm probably wrong, but i think those are the album covers eye has drawn and/or designed.

the boredom's super roots series are the equivalent of sonic youth's syr series.

my favorite right now is vision creation newsun because it makes me truly happy, besides it's artistic values.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 10:27 PM   #35
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
It actually says "Eye's top 53 picks". A lot of them do look like Eye drawings, though.

Why 53?
Old 11.14.2007, 11:01 PM   #36
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i downloaded those scans a long time ago and i remember reading something about it being eye's cover art.

but again, i might be wrong in there.
Old 11.15.2007, 12:03 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, I know for a fact that renaldo and the loaf wasn't done by eye.

Hmm.

Oh well -- still excellent, I've heard a few of those albums (just noticed Happy Flowers was in there!), but I'm sure they're all pretty weird/noisey and worth checking out. I wonder if there's a complete list of which album is which, since some of them are hard to tell.

Old 11.15.2007, 12:13 AM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

oh, you see, i'm an idiot; the same magazine has a like 6 pages of eye's art, i my fuzzy memory mixed both those sections.

there are no names, they're just numbered, i also just noticed the vox pop disc.
Old 11.15.2007, 02:33 AM   #39
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Listening to them now. I need to get me some of this.
Old 11.15.2007, 05:33 PM   #40
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be placing Super AE on my "next to get" list.
AtSonicPark and Everyneurotic; you are the two biggest geeks who post on here, but you do provide essential information from time to time, and for that i can only be thankful. I trust you more than Pitchfork thats for sure.
Call that a simultaneous-rep.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth