Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shortwave Radio
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2006, 12:08 AM   #241
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
The Letter:

Notice how its printed on a typewriter, and the '@' symbol had to be written in. Cuba is a little old school as it turns out.

Sorry for the poor excuse of a scan. I can't seem to figure out how to resize it so the entire card would scan. Oh well.

Now Hipster, its times you write your Bulgarian and Romanian friends so you can post the reply.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 01:02 PM   #242
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It's nice that they think of their listeners as a 'family'. Nice letter.

I will try to take addresses from now on, and I will share any replies. I wonder if they send verification for email responses.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:12 PM   #243
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Most stations reply through snail mail, even e-mails, given that you provide your address and ask for a QSL Card in return.

Also, when writing to a station remember to include a SIO Code, which stands for signal, interference, and overall. SIO 555 would be the best and SIO 111 would be the worst. On the back of the card, they print SIO you gave them. I gave Radio Habana a 444 rating, as you can see.

In case you didn't notice, I scanned your Mix Tape artwork as well!
Old 12.19.2006, 09:59 PM   #244
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Last night Ecuadors Voice of the Andes presented a stange listen, normally broadcasting in Spanish only, they have a small (yet odd!) segment for people who are just learning or trying to learn English. Granted the actual topic seems rather typical for a radio broadcast (the belly button, and its unsubtle 'fluff'). Anyhow, it was read extremely slow and took a turn for the peculiar towards the end when this tale was told:

“[One] September I went alone on a canoe trip. On the very first day my canoe [boat] turned over in [the water] and I lost some of my equipment in the water. ... I lost all my [extra clothes]. So I knew I would have to wear the same [clothes] for the rest of the trip.

Six days later I was finally back home. The first thing I wanted to do was change clothes and [clean myself]. But when I took off my [shirt], to my amazement, I could see something sticking out of my belly button! I could not believe it; something was growing in there! [It was a small plant!]

... It was actually rooted in some [fluff]! I have never heard of anything like that in my whole life! Well, I guess that seed found everything it needed in my belly button: [fluff] as a [place to grow], [water] from my body sweat and [the river water] splashes, warmth from my body heat, and some sun-light through my loosely knit [shirt]. [I kept the small plant in a container. But,] it died a few days later.”

...Eh?

You can listen to it here: The Belly Button
Old 12.20.2006, 06:20 PM   #245
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Most stations reply through snail mail, even e-mails, given that you provide your address and ask for a QSL Card in return.

Also, when writing to a station remember to include a SIO Code, which stands for signal, interference, and overall. SIO 555 would be the best and SIO 111 would be the worst. On the back of the card, they print SIO you gave them. I gave Radio Habana a 444 rating, as you can see.

I've had emails from the Overcomer, because I've written with opinion or comment.

Quote:
In case you didn't notice, I scanned your Mix Tape artwork as well!

Do you know, I did notice that, but it was just before the old laptop died! I'd forgotten to return to the thread and thank you.

Quote:
Last night Ecuadors Voice of the Andes presented a stange listen, normally broadcasting in Spanish only, they have a small (yet odd!) segment for people who are just learning or trying to learn English. Granted the actual topic seems rather typical for a radio broadcast (the belly button, and its unsubtle 'fluff'). Anyhow, it was read extremely slow and took a turn for the peculiar towards the end when this tale was told:

“[One] September I went alone on a canoe trip. On the very first day my canoe [boat] turned over in [the water] and I lost some of my equipment in the water. ... I lost all my [extra clothes]. So I knew I would have to wear the same [clothes] for the rest of the trip.

Six days later I was finally back home. The first thing I wanted to do was change clothes and [clean myself]. But when I took off my [shirt], to my amazement, I could see something sticking out of my belly button! I could not believe it; something was growing in there! [It was a small plant!]

... It was actually rooted in some [fluff]! I have never heard of anything like that in my whole life! Well, I guess that seed found everything it needed in my belly button: [fluff] as a [place to grow], [water] from my body sweat and [the river water] splashes, warmth from my body heat, and some sun-light through my loosely knit [shirt]. [I kept the small plant in a container. But,] it died a few days later.”

...Eh?

You can listen to it here: The Belly Button

Thank you. That's a very fine story! Reminds me, purely for the fortean/South American river connection, of the dread, cringe-inducing candiru fish: It is feared by the natives because it is attracted to urine or blood, and if the bather is nude it will swim into an orifice (the anus or vagina, or even in the case of smaller specimens the penis—and deep into the urethra). It then erects its spine and begins to feed on the blood and body tissue just as it would from the gills of a fish. The candiru is then almost impossible to remove except through an operation. As the fish locates its host by following the water flow from the gills to its source, urinating while bathing increases the chance of a candiru honing in on a human urethra..

Old 12.20.2006, 09:44 PM   #246
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I've had emails from the Overcomer, because I've written with opinion or comment.

Thank you. That's a very fine story! Reminds me, purely for the fortean/South American river connection, of the dread, cringe-inducing candiru fish: It is feared by the natives because it is attracted to urine or blood, and if the bather is nude it will swim into an orifice (the anus or vagina, or even in the case of smaller specimens the penis—and deep into the urethra). It then erects its spine and begins to feed on the blood and body tissue just as it would from the gills of a fish. The candiru is then almost impossible to remove except through an operation. As the fish locates its host by following the water flow from the gills to its source, urinating while bathing increases the chance of a candiru honing in on a human urethra..

Overcormer Ministry must not believe QSL Cards have a place in end times, as they shorted me one even though I asked for one.

Different continent, but that grotesque fish reminds me of the deadly fugu blow fish which is a Japanese delicacy, but also one of the most poisonous creatures on the planet. Despite this danger and rather unappetizing look, I would love to try it. Certainly not found at sushi joints here in Omaha!

Old 12.21.2006, 04:34 PM   #247
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

That's the one that chefs train specially for, isn't it? Even then there's no guarantee that the poison will be removed properly - I believe there are deaths every year from eating it.

Brother Stair is singing 'I shall not be moved'.

Old 12.23.2006, 09:11 AM   #248
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Yes, I think I've seen on TV that there are only a handful of chefs across the globe that will serve it.

Do you like sushi?

Brother Stair should release an album.
Old 12.23.2006, 11:04 AM   #249
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I turned vegetatian before I'd ever heard of sushi, so I've never tried it.

Brother Stair should relesase a ten disc boxset of his best moments, in my opinion.

Old 12.23.2006, 12:21 PM   #250
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
I have never heard of the problems that Father Christmas was encountering in Austria, but as far as I can tell from your posts, he was only banned at the Viennese Christmas market… I believe this particular market is taking place for centuries in front of the town hall, I suppose it’s quite traditional or at least organised so that it appears traditional, and actually bears the name of the Christ Child that you mentioned and which is apparently the equivalent of Father Christmas in Austria (name of the market in german: "Christkindlmarkt")... therefore...

in the south of Germany (in the catholic part of the country, I would say) they also have those "Christkindlmärkte", so I guess the same problem arised...

but were there really people protesting with banners?
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2006, 12:48 PM   #251
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I couldn't find any images of the protests at the time, but the story was being covered by various sites, so it seems there really were banners and all.

Bad SW reception at the moment (I wonder if tat's due to the fog?), so I've got Brother Stair online again!

Old 12.23.2006, 01:13 PM   #252
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
I turned vegetatian before I'd ever heard of sushi, so I've never tried it.

Brother Stair should relesase a ten disc boxset of his best moments, in my opinion.

I had no idea you were a vegetarian! There are so many joys when it comes to eating sushi, and then there are some fish that taste like something you'd wish you'd never have put in your mouth. Its a guessing game. I've tried to stop eating meat, but its hard! Living in the beef center of the United States and all.

Speaking of Santa:

Now, the strange part is not that this elephant is dressed as Santa, but that this photo was taken in Thailand, which is what, 95% Buddhisht?
Old 12.23.2006, 01:32 PM   #253
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
I had no idea you were a vegetarian! There are so many joys when it comes to eating sushi, and then there are some fish that taste like something you'd wish you'd never have put in your mouth. Its a guessing game. I've tried to stop eating meat, but its hard! Living in the beef center of the United States and all.

I've been veggie since I was 12. There's vege sushi, of course (rice and seaweed?) but I've never tried it.

Quote:
Speaking of Santa:

Now, the strange part is not that this elephant is dressed as Santa, but that this photo was taken in Thailand, which is what, 95% Buddhisht?

A quick search reveals the exaxctitude of your statistic, but also reveals that the main industry is tourism:

Capital: Bangkok
King: Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)
Prime Minister: Thaksin Shinawatra
Government: constitutional monarchy
Time zone: GMT +7
Area: 517000
Population: 65000000
People: 75% Thai, 11% Chinese, 3.5% Malay; also Mon, Khmer, Phuan and Karen minorities
Languages: Thai is a complicated language with its own unique alphabet, but it's fun to try at least a few words. The main complication with Thai is that it is tonal: the same word could be pronounced with a rising, falling, high, low or level tone and could theoretically have five meanings!
95% Buddhist, 4% Muslim
Currency: Baht (Bht)
GDP: Approx. Bht480000000000
Major industries: Tourism, computers, garments, integrated circuits, gems, jewellery
Major Trading Partners: Japan, China, ASEAN, USA, European Union
Daylight Saving: From not in use to not in use
Country Dialing Code: 66

Tourism shouldn't be called an 'industry' in my opinion. Industry is industry, tourism isn't.

I can't remember the name of the person doing the sermon at the Overcomer right now, but he's a regular. He's OK.

Old 12.23.2006, 01:38 PM   #254
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Though industry can bring in foreign money, and tourism most defintely brings in cash from abroad. Either way!

I've been trying to pick up something on the radio but it is quite dead. Instead I'm watching Chelsea and Wigan.

Also, Dead Radio is a fantastic song from People Like Us.
Old 12.31.2006, 03:34 PM   #255
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

This post is about dictators and radio.

It came to my attention last night, via the web stream of Voice of Russia, (who has oversight from an increasigly obvious dictator, yes Vlady, you) that Turkmenistans bizarre leader Saparmurat Niyazov died of a heart attack on December 22nd. Strange that this went seemingly unnoticed by Western media, at least to my knowledge. Nothing on CNN World News, or ABC World News. I've even watched BBC World News a few times since the 22nd, but I saw nothing about it. Granted, it may not be headline worthy as Mr. Niyazov has little relevance on a global scale, per se, but perhaps this will open Turkmenistan?

On a related note: I suspect I may have picked up Radio Turkmenistan! I can't be too sure, as it was in a language similar sounding to Russian, enough that my amateur ears could recognize that, but different enough that I could not understand a word of it. Except for Niyazov, Niyazov, Niyazov, and more Niyazov. Who knows?

Same region, different asshole: Radio Tashkent International was one of the first stations I heard and one of my favorites. I knew on a daily what time, and what frequency I would hear them on, but then without notice, it was gone. After seeing Passport left their address out of their 2007 annual, it became obvious it was no longer in operation. It seems as though Uzbekistans president Islom Karimov deemed Radio Tashkent International useless, and treasonous, and needed to be shut down. Bummer.

Finally, I got a surprise in the mail yesterday afternoon. Radio Habana Cuba sent me a New Years greeting card. "Feliz Nuevo Ano!", is what the inside read. I guess they really do think of me as family. How nice.

Thank you, Fidel?
Old 01.02.2007, 08:17 PM   #256
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Radio Prague issues new set of QSL cards link.

Other than that, they are currently interested in injuries and brawls that occured on New Year's Eve.

Old 01.02.2007, 08:34 PM   #257
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
...Same region, different asshole: Radio Tashkent International was one of the first stations I heard and one of my favorites. I knew on a daily what time, and what frequency I would hear them on, but then without notice, it was gone. After seeing Passport left their address out of their 2007 annual, it became obvious it was no longer in operation. It seems as though Uzbekistans president Islom Karimov deemed Radio Tashkent International useless, and treasonous, and needed to be shut down. Bummer...

Radio Tashkent International still have a homepage, but the online listen links are in Russian (?) so I can't understand them. Perhaps you'd have more success?

http://ino.uzpak.uz/

Old 01.02.2007, 08:35 PM   #258
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Actually, the news hasn't been updated since MArch...

Old 01.02.2007, 08:37 PM   #259
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Those are neat!

I'm awaiting one from Radio Sweden.
Old 01.02.2007, 08:46 PM   #260
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Actually, the news hasn't been updated since MArch...

One of my bookmarked pages. They rarely updated any online information anyway, but the English program was ready to be streamed at all times. There is still a music station you can stream, nothing but Uzbek music pop and folk. Interesting it is. http://www.mtrk.uz/en/homepage/

You can also see a very aimless explanation for why the station in not airing anything anymore on the English page.

Also, I've noticed they have abandoned the Cyrillic alphabet for the Uzbek page, and returned to its Latin lettering. Odd. Ripples from the Putin administration. Its cool to hate Russia right now.
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth