Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page but is it really art? i mean, come on...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.05.2010, 04:46 PM   #181
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
looking glass spectacle replace it with a genuine water hose, if nobody notices then it is not art.
Old 01.05.2010, 04:48 PM   #182
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
at a certain point in this century art started to be more about art itself than about making a picture of something. all work had to be refreshing and original, which would mean the end of art, because as soon as you show the piece a second time it's not original anymore.
Good point. Because of the fastest technological advancement we experienced in what can be historically considered a short space of time, the thirst for originality sky-rocketed in ways that didn't happen on previous centuries, and went hand in hand with the core purpose for producing artwork like never before. This isn't a bad thing at all, when an artist produces work that can fight for space in a saturated market without heavy-handed, redundant contextualization, but when you see a dog being starved in a gallery with the dubious intentions of presenting it as art, any genuinely intelligent person should question if the meaning of originality that naturally impacts on the viewer has been distorted by the artist (and whoever supports his/her work).
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 04:54 PM   #183
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
You are invited to the Blood Orgy of the Atomic Fern
Old 01.05.2010, 05:20 PM   #184
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I like that painting of a leopard!

it surely is art. a great painting caputres much more than a photograph can.

this might be true, but in some way, i find being able to paint a photorealistic picture a bit of a waste of time. it's a great skil, and one of the first things we learnt in art school was to draw a realistic picture from what we saw, just because you have to understand reality before you can turn it into something of your own. i love drawings from life that have an artist's interpretation in them, because it makes the works ten times more personal. a model sketch by egon schiele is far more interesting to me than that leopard.

right now i'm at a point in my education where we still get classes in drawing from life, but our teacher assumes we know reality well enough to give it our own twist. right now, i go to a museum of old airplanes with my bits and pieces of paper, i look at an airplane and i make this:

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 05:27 PM   #185
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Also, an artist who happens to find an original formula not necessarily becomes the best practitioner when using that formula. The idea that something is best only when it's done first is a myth. The Ramones found a way of writing songs that has its own distinctive, if derivative, trademark, yet my ears detect a (disputable) improvement when the Ramones' formula is used by Shonen Knife.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 05:34 PM   #186
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Absolutely. And to use your same example, while I love the Ramones (conceptually) more than probably any band, I have to admit that I think on record, Action Swingers did a better version of the Ramones than the originals did.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 05:37 PM   #187
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
ploesj, maybe you assume that the painting of the leaopard is some sort of photorealist image, or an image taken directly from photographs? It could very well be a completely made up scene, but by an artist familiar with big cats.
just sayin'. Love yr plane though.

You would not want schiele to paint images for inclusion in an animal compendium right? each art has it's purpose.
Old 01.05.2010, 05:47 PM   #188
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ploesj, maybe you assume that the painting of the leaopard is some sort of photorealist image, or an image taken directly from photographs? It could very well be a completely made up scene, but by an artist familiar with big cats.

That's a good point but a bad example. Bateman, who painted the leopard, always paints from photographs.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 05:49 PM   #189
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj

This is not Art, surely?

This is not Here, surely?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 05:49 PM   #190
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ya never know.

I prefer abstraction myself, but I also love optical illusions.
Old 01.05.2010, 06:36 PM   #191
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I prefer abstraction myself, but I also love optical illusions.

a lot of pot oriented people are man..
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 10:47 PM   #192
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
everything is art.

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:02 AM   #193
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj

that's pretty awesome... i love old graph papers, log charts, time cards and stuff... anything with technical looking dashed lines and arrows and crap. you've managed to make it all flow like texture or contours without distracting from the image of the plane... i also really like how the fold/binding provides an illusion of two white walls coming to a corner behind the airplane like in a gallery. it really adds depth to the thing... wonder if that was intentional or one of those 'beautiful accidents?'

... also, i'm wondering if this is really art at all

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:07 AM   #194
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I like that painting of a leopard!

it surely is art. a great painting caputres much more than a photograph can.

But what does that painting do for you though? Serious question.
Old 01.06.2010, 03:07 AM   #195
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Paintings as realistic as that leopard astound me. If I weren't told that it was a painting, I would've actually assumed it were a photograph.

At most, that yellow hose could make me think, "Yeah, that's kinda clever." But something painted with such precision, that it actually appears lifelike...that really sets me aback.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 03:15 AM   #196
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
The leopards have in me wonder at how a person can stay in such close focus to capture the details of lighting and tones and expression and proportion of real life to produce such a thing. The hand by itself will gladly mash splotches and circles into a canvas.

The focus!!

I mean, have you ever tried to simply copy a picture? You can still translate things so horribly, just like in conversation, saying things you didnt mean to.

Also, geez, I feel like my eyes could touch the soft velvet of that cat.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 03:15 AM   #197
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
that's pretty awesome... i love old graph papers, log charts, time cards and stuff... anything with technical looking dashed lines and arrows and crap. you've managed to make it all flow like texture or contours without distracting from the image of the plane... i also really like how the fold/binding provides an illusion of two white walls coming to a corner behind the airplane like in a gallery. it really adds depth to the thing... wonder if that was intentional or one of those 'beautiful accidents?'

... also, i'm wondering if this is really art at all

thanks! the fold is not intentional, we are supposed to work in a large sketchbook for this class so there always is some line running through my drawings... the paper is an old clothing pattern sheet from a nineties burda magazine, combined with red chalk paper and details of grey ink.

i don't call this, art, to me it's an excercise that turned out well.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 09:19 AM   #198
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
But what does that painting do for you though? Serious question.

nothing more than allow me to appreciate what a giant cat looks like resting on a branch.
Old 01.06.2010, 09:23 AM   #199
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Paintings as realistic as that leopard astound me. If I weren't told that it was a painting, I would've actually assumed it were a photograph.

At most, that yellow hose could make me think, "Yeah, that's kinda clever." But something painted with such precision, that it actually appears lifelike...that really sets me aback.

I thought it was a photo at first. I have alot of respect for someone that can make something like that out of nothing. I know if I painted that leopard he would look like a dog that was hit by a car. I have always admired that talent.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 09:34 AM   #200
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
I thought it was a photo at first. I have alot of respect for someone that can make something like that out of nothing. I know if I painted that leopard he would look like a dog that was hit by a car. I have always admired that talent.

no doubt dudes like that are talented but i don't understand how they can be bothered to take the time to paint like that as it's a very painstaking process.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth