Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Basketball Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2013, 03:05 PM   #81
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Word in H-town is the Rockets will be signing Marcus Camby in the near future.

He was a great roll player for the Rockets during the 2011-12 season.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2013, 03:16 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Haha.. these are the moments between Wade and Lebron in the Bejing Olympics which sealed the deal and previewed the coming Heat onslaught. I mean, its against China, so you expect this, but it doesn't negate the power that made this kind of block/rebound/steal to wade/lebron fast-break dunk so dominating even against the best NBA teams. Here Lebron channeled his inner Chris Mullen and just grabbed the ball out of the air mid-shot.. Is it a block? Is it a rebound?? Shit, before you can ever figure it out Wade is dunking it in!!

Then there is 2012. I mean, shit, look at this shit! Seriously! Even Magic Johnson and John Stockton got be tripping watching a replay no-look pass like this one!!

Wade was genius. He realized that he is one of the best 2-guards in NBA history at penetrating the rim, and with Lebron as one of the best defenders combined with one of the best passers (I mean the guy throws the ball down full-court like he was Joe Montana sometimes!!) to make open those fast-breaks Wade would only be able to continue to thrive at attack dunks. Further, Wade is one of the best blocking guards of all time, his career average of 1 block per game is the most ever for a guard, and also the most ever for a guy under 6'5", and so he can reverse it an do what Lebron does, grab the block or the rebound, and with Lebron being able to run down the court as fast, maybe even FASTER than he can pass it, it is a lethal double-team combo. Whether Wade or Lebron, these guys literally clown teams on the fast-break. It seems that as Wade was creeping into his 30s, instead of going the Jordan-Kobe route (i.e. slowing down on penetration dunks and replacing them with ice-cold mid-ranger jumpers) to save his body the wear and tear and accomodate for the inevitable decline in his beastly athleticism, he recruited Lebron to help make it easier to attack, penetrate, and dunk. If it weren't for all those fast-breaks, Wade would have had to stop dunking three years ago

Let me ask, who do y'all think is a better blocker, Lebron with all those damned run from behind power-blocks, or Dwight who can clown it at the rim just about any time..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2013, 02:08 PM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.31.2013, 02:13 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Meh.. This whole Dwight thing was already super-hyped last year for the Lakers, and it is coming across as even worse than "The Decision" only because it happened afterwards. Dwight better back it up, at least Lebron carried that team to the NBA Finals first try, so the hype/derision wasn't entirely without merit

Old 07.31.2013, 02:18 PM   #85
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
everything is superhyped for the Lakers. it is hollywood after all.

Dwight will thrive in a football-first town. he has a sense of humor (kobe does not and neither do the Lakers). He likes not having too much attention. The media in Houston will respect his wishes. he likes to hit the tittie bars and so does Harden. they will go together and get boned up and take out their frustrations on the visiting lakers. It will be glorious.
Old 07.31.2013, 02:31 PM   #86
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Yeah, if the hype is only Lakers how come it has followed Dwight to Houston? By the way, I liked seeing all those pep-rallies and huge crowds for Dwight locally in Houston, it reminds us that what Miami did in 2010 with Lebron/Wade/Bosh is perfectly ordinary basketball pep-rallies, the difference is what was intended to be local celebration turned into one of the biggest NBA hubris moments ever because of all the national spotlight ("..not 1, not 2, not 3..").

By the way if beating a hobbling Lakers is all y'all are aiming for, then Dwight could have just stayed and caved the team in y'all honor No, y'all need to aim for Miami or bust, though in truth, Houston would be happy for the next two years with 1st and 2nd round exists, and actually that wouldn't be too bad for them, however, it only points to why Dwight went there, he felt he couldn't take the pressure of legitimately contending (not that the Lakers ever were serious Title contenders with him, but that was definitely the expectation of the entirety of Los Angeles as well as most of the sports writing talking heads across the country) so he fled to a team that would be as appreciative as Orlando was just at winning a few play-off games. BY THE WAY, its a smart strategy for the business of basketball in Houston, because the secret of the LA Lakers is they DON'T ever tank or play for the lottery, they always aim for the playoffs, even if not contending. Some teams think that the playoffs are just for chasing Championships, not true, that is where you (a) make a shitload of money and (b) build roster experience at a top-level. If Houston keeps their head straight, they very well could contend within 3 years. In the meantime, mark my words, the Lakers will make the play-offs and if Miamia can stay even a fraction healthier than they were the past two years in the post-season (2012 Bosh out, 2013 Wade hobbling on one leg for three series) they will seriously win a third championship. Thunder will step back, so will Spurs and Clippers will stay put in the middle of that pack. By the way, Rockets fans, don't sleep on Warriors, they're eying your position

Old 08.01.2013, 12:14 AM   #87
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 08.08.2013, 12:46 PM   #88
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Haha.. so Lebron really IS an ordinary human, here he is going to jury duty, and bringing a book? Like anybody is going give him enough peace and quiet to read. Can you imagine a global celebrity like Lebron boringly sitting by himself reading a book? NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN LEBRON The next Instagram he posts will be of like 200 people in the jury waiting room crowding around him!

Old 08.14.2013, 10:05 AM   #89
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Over the past two days, Howard has been working with Dream and McHale:

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2013, 07:12 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Yeah, he worked with them before, but it never had the effect it had on Lebron and Amare Stoudemire (both of which immediately increased their shooting percentages towards 60% benefiting by the footwork and efficient shot making that The Dream taught them). Oh yeah, all McHale can teach Howard is how to be a bully, that guy ain't got no real game, he was just a mean defender, but Dwight is just too nice a guy for that kind of shit. Of course, I grew up in LA, so the McHale is one of our arch-villains, I might be a bit biased, Larry Legend is the ONLY Celtic Los Angeles could EVER respect, and that is only because Magic was/is so damned unreasonably in love with him. We'd shit on Bird too if we could, but Magic ain't having that. Love me some Hakeem The Dream, he taught Lebron how to use his body and athleticism to create open but efficient shots, especially on the block and in the post. Dwight could benefit from that, but he's spent two summers in the past with Hakeem it had ZERO noticeable difference to his game, either on offense or defense. Y'all in Houston better hope Dwight finally wises up and pays attention, The Dream is beyond a legend, Dwight would be foolish to waste a THIRD summer with him..

Old 08.15.2013, 08:35 AM   #91
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

McHale was a scoring MUCHINE man. the Center needs to be a bully. he NEEDS to dominate. that is what Dream tried to teach yao but yao is chinese and they defer to everyone and find it hard to assert their will on the court.

Dream will be working with Howard and all the Houston big men on the permanent. He is being hired by the Rockets.
Old 08.15.2013, 04:09 PM   #92
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Yes, but again, Howard has worked with the Dream before, it the problem was he never really took it serious or bought into what Hakeem was teaching him. I watched Dwight Howard all last year, and a bit the year before, and he has none of the footwork that Hakeem taught Lebron and Amare. If you watch pre and post Hakeem sessions Lebron or Amare you can literally see the difference in their play in the post, and its not like they were bad in the post to begin with! Hakeem taught them how to use their size combined with new footwork to create better shots to take. Dwight? His offense is so boring he doesn't even like the pick and roll. He wants a bunch of 3 shooters around him like when he was in Orlando. Well Rockets got that, so we'll see. I'm not trying to diss, just stating what I see. Howard doesn't look like he applied anything Hakeem tried to teach him, so Hakeem can work with Dwight all he wants, but if Dwight doesn't want to implement what he is learning, than so what? See its an ego thing. Its why Andrew Bynum had TERRIBLE footwork because he was too egotistical to listen to Kareem who was his teacher for four years. Kareem actually quite the Lakers training staff because Bynum's attitude was getting so bad. It was only in 2011/12 that Bynum finally developed some footwork, and when asked by reporters what explained the visible improvement in his footwork in particular he said, "I've been really working on with my coaches, trying hard to listen to what they're teaching me." DUH! So Dwight needs to do the same

Old 08.21.2013, 09:04 AM   #93
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Bron Bron finally cropped his hair. No more headband for BronBron.
Old 08.21.2013, 11:50 AM   #94
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

And now the Michael Jordan synthesis is complete.

Old 08.21.2013, 11:52 AM   #95
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

and he'll still wear the headband. He wears it to keep the sweat out of his face, the cover up was just an added bonus. Also, this is not shaved head yet, that was a chop job with a haircutting machine, the BIC will make its appearance in the next few years I'm sure

Old 08.21.2013, 11:55 AM   #96
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

The headband got thicker and thicker as the hairline went further back. shame that balding men are deemed unable to sell things for Madison avenue.
Old 08.21.2013, 11:58 AM   #97
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Yes, the headband did get larger, but again, the guy wasn't exactly hiding anything. Its not like we had never seen Lebron's hairline, blasted across the world. Its not like it was a secret that the ninja was balding. Further, its not like the guy didn't wear the headband consistently since high school or anything

Old 09.16.2013, 09:08 PM   #98
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/74442/is-hakeem-olajuwons-post-up-play-training-all-its-cracked-up-to

Quote:

The message from Olajuwon, the coach, seems pretty straightforward for every one of his pupils: These are my moves — take them, use them, and (hopefully) experience the success that I had. As great as this sounds in theory, the reality of the situation is that this may not be the right approach for every player who travels to Olajuwon’s ranch looking to expand his game.
It’s important to point out that Olajuwon was one of the most uniquely gifted athletes to ever put on an NBA jersey.This is why no big man in today’s NBA, most of whom solely play basketball from an early age, looks even remotely as fluid as Olajuwon once did.Yet instead of tailoring his program to a player’s size, skill set, athleticism, and, maybe most importantly, the role he occupies on a team, Olajuwon attempts to teach only his signature post moves.

guy doesnt know what he is talking about, didnt he see the instant trasnformation it had on Lebron or Amare Stoudemire. Both players had career highs in efficiency (Hakeem's trademark) and getting to the rim through foot-work. Hakeem teaches his skill-set, which is to use a combination of grace and force to either create open but efficient shots or to create opening to pass to open shooters elsewhere. Its what Lebron has been dominating the NBA doing to a perfection, in fact, I dare say that the Lebron is the closest to Hakeem (now, not pre-2010 Lebron) than any player since Hakeem. Shaq was a force, but had no grace. Lebron has added an element of finesse and grace to his footwork that simply wasn't there. I read an article lamenting how Heat Lebron doesn't to any of his previously famous half-court drive and dunks. That is because Hakeem taught Lebron how inefficient, tiring, and showboating that is. A better strategy is to find a smooth lane to the post, and use your muscle there to either create a shot or a great pass. Hakeem 101. Lebron learned it. Watch Amare in his first season with the Knicks, guy was almost an MVP candidate getting 28 ppg ALL in the post, looking like Hakeem on the block with pure post-ups. It is also what suddenly turned even lame as Tyson Chandler into an NBA champion rim-defender and pick and roll specialist.

Quote:
At this point, Chandler essentially is who he is. He won’t be asked to control games from the low block. Olajuwon should take that into account and adjust accordingly. The time spent learning complicated footwork sequences could be better used to focus more of his training on things that can directly benefit Chandler’s game, like pick-and-roll finishes that aren’t just dunks — something that will be increasingly vital if and when the Knicks big man can no longer finish athletically at the rim.

Bullshit! This guy REALLY doesn't know basketball. What allowed Jordan and Kobe to age like wine and dominate the league well past their physical primes? Oh, right, FOOTWORK!!!!! As Tyson gets older, he needs to heed Hakeem's teaching, and IMPROVE his footwork at the rim to be able to improve his finishes and yes, make more post shots than just dunks. FOOTWORK will create those openings to get in small 3-5 foot post jump shots like (a) Lebron has been doing (b) like Hakeem mastered into two-champions later into his career. Sighs. I really wish I decided to get a job as a sports writer, these people aside from Zach Lowe simply don't know what the fuck they are talking about!!

Really, Dwight Howard is about the ONLY player I've seen to appear NOT to learn even ANYTHING from Hakeem. Hopefully this time around Howard is actually paying attention, a guy as gifted with strength, speed, and finesse as Howard could quite literally be the only force in basketball enough to equal Lebron. I don't say this as a Lerbon fan, I say it as a lifelong basketball fan. Lebron is the NBA right now, the way Kobe was just a few years ago, and Shaq just before that, and Jordan before that, and Magic before him. Dwight has the potential, but he needs to apply himself more directly to harness it. Hakeem can teach it, but Dwight has to buy into it.

A COMMENT ON THE FACEBOOK POSTS AT THE BOTTOM THE PAGE CALLED IT, THIS ARTICLE IS JUST TROLLING!!!

Old 09.17.2013, 12:17 AM   #99
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Beautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Y'all remember the "Better Dead Than Red" Grateful Dead sponsored Lithuanian Men's National team in the Olympic?

I think I remember vaguely.

Last year, a documentary on that team was released. Official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfIvcadyf3w

Who's watching EuroBasket 2013?

Beautiful Plateau is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 12:53 PM   #100
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

A little late to post but I've been caught up in football, here is a great article debating the effectiveness of offensive rebounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Rivers
“So, you’re a big believer in offensive rebounds I think; I’m not. Listen, like I said, you can pick on that all I want. That is a number I rarely look at, is offensive rebounds. Statistically it holds up. I can tell you, you don’t offensive rebound, you stop transition, you win more games than when you get offensive rebounds. I can guarantee you that on those stats.”

My take, rebounding has become less significant as basketball has moved away from iso/one-on-one style of play more towards a team oriented approach, particularly on pressure defense. The 1980s/90s days of one-on-one match ups and iso shoot outs are long over, and replaced by quick footed, highly choreographed, team-oriented pressure defense. Nobody is standing around anymore. THIS I feel is why rebounding has become less important to winning games.

In the 80s/90s the "twin towers" was an enormously (pun intended) successful strategy at getting rebounds and blocking the rim/driving lanes from easy lay-ups. One big man could take on the likes of Michael Jordan or try and slow down guys like John Stockton simply with their physical pressense under the basket. Now? Dominant centers and big men are less important, because complicated ball-moving offenses have made them irrelevant. On the defensive side, big men are less important because two or three well choreographed defenders putting constant pressure on the ball can actually be more effective.

This is why rebounding isn't important anymore, especially why defensive minded coaches like Doc Rivers, Greg Poppovich, and Eric Spoelstra have essentially abandoned offensive rebounding. They realized transition defense can be that much more effective at creating more possessions that second change points. I have spent a lot of time YELLING at the Heat on the TV when watching teams dominate the offensive boards, but their transition d is so quick, it negates those gaffes. When the Heat give up offensive boards, they are gaining a defensive advantage, and it shows on their stat line. What they lack in rebounds, they more than make up in generated turn overs. Its a gamble, particularly a physically exhausting one, but the stats don't lie, in the past several years the better defensive teams have been more likely to win than the offensive juggernauts (2008/9-2010/11 Lakers aside)...
The article examines the Pacers in particular, who crashed the play-offs last season as the best offensive rebounding team in the NBA, but honestly, Miami's D cut them in pieces. Hibbert was terribly over-rated in that series, and simply put, if the officiating had been more on the 3-second violations and fouls (fuck that bullshit verticality excuse, that was soooooo fucking bogus) The Heat would have had 5-10 more freethrows a game and perhaps won it in 5..

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth