Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston at Sled Island in Calgary on June 22!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.24.2012, 02:07 PM   #1
tough titty
little trouble girl

tough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's asses

photos from review: http://newmusicmichael.com/wordpress/2012/06/day-three-at-sled-island-wake-owl-yamantakasonic-titan-and-thurston-moore/

I went out to Calgary from Vancouver for this and holy shit did it ever kick ass! A bunch of new songs were premiered to the public for the 1st time according to Thurston! I ate a bunch of hash for my afternoon breakfast and had a truly surreal experience and happened to get excellent audio and video recordings of the whole show!

The only thing is, I forgot one of my recorders at my parent's house so I won't be able to share the show until I go back there on July 12 to see Melvins Lite and I pick it up. Once I get back I will be sharing Lee Ranaldo's set from Sled Island last year as well.

After the show I went and had some beers with some friends and then went to see Nomeansno who blew my mind as well!

Here's someone else's videos of Thurston's set, thanks to kerryo11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdpyGGFJYc&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1iFGU2BxWI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1g6zcFZiec&feature=plcp
tough titty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 03:48 PM   #2
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Tough Tiitty.
Old 06.25.2012, 03:04 PM   #3
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
do you get better quality recordings if you eat hash rather than smoke it? I should try next time...
better to forget the recorder before than after the show ;-)

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2012, 01:56 AM   #4
tough titty
little trouble girl

tough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
do you get better quality recordings if you eat hash rather than smoke it? I should try next time...
better to forget the recorder before than after the show ;-)

Actually, I was talking about eating potatoes! Can you smoke potatoes? Hmmm. I think I'll try it. Smoking banana peels get you high!
Old 07.02.2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
This is awesome. Hey, did you see Thurston at the Rickshaw with Kurt Vile? I keep missing so many great shows.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2012, 02:58 AM   #6
tough titty
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
This is awesome. Hey, did you see Thurston at the Rickshaw with Kurt Vile? I keep missing so many great shows.

Yep, I did. I recorded that one too. I've got a huge backlog of shows to work on and lots of other bands which is why I haven't gotten around to sharing it yet. It was way mellower then the Calgary show. I think he got most of the mellowness out of his system on that tour!
Old 07.06.2012, 03:14 AM   #7
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
sled island sounds like a fun island it sounds like part of a christmas movie

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tough titty
Yep, I did. I recorded that one too. I've got a huge backlog of shows to work on and lots of other bands which is why I haven't gotten around to sharing it yet. It was way mellower then the Calgary show. I think he got most of the mellowness out of his system on that tour!

Cool. So what show did you like better?
Old 07.06.2012, 12:50 PM   #9
tough titty
little trouble girl

Quote:
Cool. So what show did you like better?

I loved both shows cuz I'm into mellow and heavy but if I had to pick, which you just made me do, I'd have to say I liked the Calgary show better cuz hearing the new songs for the first time live sounded spectacularly wonderful!

photos from review at the backstage rider:

http://backstagerider.com/2012/07/04/sled-island-day-3/
Old 07.06.2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Ghostchase
100%

You're so lucky!
Old 07.08.2012, 12:33 AM   #11
tough titty
little trouble girl

Quote:
You're so lucky!

I'd like to think it's a matter of making sure I'm in the right place at the right time, but yeah I guess I am very lucky!

Do you live in Vancouver too?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth