Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Beatles - LOVE
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.20.2006, 12:32 PM   #1
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone bought this?, i got it today, i said i wouldn't as it was just a reworking of songs i already have but i went into a record store and they were playing it and it sounded so good so i bought it.

Track Listing
1. Because (Love Version)
2. Get Back (Love Version)
3. Glass Onion (Love Version)
4. Eleanor Rigby/Julia (Love Version)
5. I Am The Walrus (Love Version)
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand (Love Version)
7. Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing (Love Version)
8. Gnik Nus (Love Version)
9. Something/Blue Jay Way (Love Version)
10. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter (Love Version)
11. Help! (Love Version)
12. Blackbird/Yesterday (Love Version)
13. Strawberry Fields Forever (Love Version)
14. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows (Love Version)
15. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Love Version)
16. Octopus's Garden (Love Version)
17. Lady Madonna (Love Version)
18. Here Comes The Sun/The Inner Light (Love Version)
19. Come Together/Dear Prudence/Cry Baby Cry (Love Version)
20. Revolution (Love Version)

Description
'LOVE' sees The Beatles back catalogue being reworked by the original fifth Beatle Sir George Martin and his son Giles.Given free rein by surviving Beatles Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney, the album is a completely new take on original Beatles material and also forms part of the soundtrack to the Cirque du Soleil/Beatles production of the same name. It is also presented in 5.1 surround sound, a first for any Beatles recording.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 01:24 PM   #2
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles make me sick to my stomach.
Old 11.20.2006, 01:27 PM   #3
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Old 11.20.2006, 01:29 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry. It's a bit too 'pop' and 'soft' for even me.
Old 11.20.2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not much of a fan of The Beatles but I did think this sounded quite interesting, since it's been done by Mr Martin - it seems to be a real attempt to do something worthwhile on the part of Martin.

On Radio Five last Friday they played a tiny bit and discussed it. There was also a short interview with George Martin. Click on the link, select 'Friday' and then fast-forward about two hours five minutes (I think) to hear, if you like.

edit: forgot the link, ha ha: http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/mayo.shtml

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 01:42 PM   #6
screamingskull
invito al cielo

i think it all sounds wonderful, im glad i grew up in a household with beatles/grateful dead obsessed parents.
Old 11.20.2006, 01:46 PM   #7
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Grateful Dead is a different story. Fairly decent band. Doesn't make me sick to my stomach.

Jesus loves you best!
Old 11.20.2006, 01:52 PM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

i prefer the beatles to the dead, but thats just me, i also love Todd Rundgren.

So who is everbodys favourite beatle?
Mine is George, he was wonderful. John pissed me off with all that singing about "imaginie you have no posessions" when he had a room specificly for fur coats that was chilled to keep them in good condition. Paul is great too, but Geaorge wrote some amazing songs. He is my favourite.
Old 11.20.2006, 02:03 PM   #9
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I don't want to say I hate the Beatles. I don't want to say they make me sick to my stomach. So I won't.

Because I grew up on them. A steady diet of them. When I was a teen, my collection was almost nothing but those LPs with the green apples on the label.

But this kind of thing does make me more than a bit weary of the fab four. When will they (whoever is behind this repackaging ad nauseum) just let it be. Let it be, you goofy Beatles repackaging swindlers.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 02:06 PM   #10
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i have no comment to make on this CD
Old 11.20.2006, 02:26 PM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

its not just repackaged though, it's remastered
Old 11.20.2006, 04:53 PM   #12
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
i prefer the beatles to the dead, but thats just me, i also love Todd Rundgren.

So who is everbodys favourite beatle?
Mine is George, he was wonderful. John pissed me off with all that singing about "imaginie you have no posessions" when he had a room specificly for fur coats that was chilled to keep them in good condition. Paul is great too, but Geaorge wrote some amazing songs. He is my favourite.

I am in total agreement w/ you on George being the best of the fab four. I've said this before, & I'll continue to say the rest of my life, George had the only carreer after The Beatles that I appreciated. He became such a spiritualists in his writing later on w/ The Beatles, & all through his solo carrer.

I definitely see George Harrison as a hero in my eyes.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 04:56 PM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I've got this. I was thinking of sharing it at the group, and then decided to not bother.

The remastering is great. I Am the Walrus sounds like godhead. On the whole, it's brilliant, but I do, naturally, have a few nit-picks with it. Maybe I'll do a track-by-track breakdown in a future post.

I suppose George Martin & company had to do this before people starting making their own versions anyway...also for the Cirque de Soleil show of the same name, of course.

A random note of ultimate importance:
The only architect of sound that is in the same league as George Martin is Rudy Van Gelder. Martin and Van Gelder both display complete mastery of the recording process. Some people might make a somewhat legitimate argument for Phil Spector or Wilson/Van Dyke Parks.
Other than that, there are no other names in that uppermost tier.
If you think there are, then you are wrong.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 05:19 PM   #14
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I am in total agreement w/ you on George being the best of the fab four. I've said this before, & I'll continue to say the rest of my life, George had the only carreer after The Beatles that I appreciated. He became such a spiritualists in his writing later on w/ The Beatles, & all through his solo carrer.

I definitely see George Harrison as a hero in my eyes.

Yes!! George was the only true musician in the group. And I also say that, aside from the two Plastic Ono Band LPs, which were and continue to be untouchable and in a league of their own, George's solo work is the best post-Beatles work. I love All Things Must Pass and Living in the Material World.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 05:31 PM   #15
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Sorry. It's a bit too 'pop' and 'soft' for even me.
What about Helter Skelter?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 05:54 PM   #16
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Yes!! George was the only true musician in the group. And I also say that, aside from the two Plastic Ono Band LPs, which were and continue to be untouchable and in a league of their own, George's solo work is the best post-Beatles work. I love All Things Must Pass and Living in the Material World.

"All Things Must Pass" continues to be a guiding light in my life. Whenever I need a lift spiritually, I always put on that 3 LP set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody

Of course, that is the origianl hard rock anthem
-George Carlin
Old 11.20.2006, 06:11 PM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody

I'm trying not to pay attention to wordfarts, glad you can take up the slack.

finding nobody has the best musical taste of anyone here.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
Old 11.20.2006, 06:15 PM   #18
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
"All Things Must Pass" continues to be a guiding light in my life. Whenever I need a lift spiritually, I always put on that 3 LP set.

Of course, that is the origianl hard rock anthem

All Things Must Pass is considered by many a critic to be the best post-Beatles offering. I don't fall into that fold. Many other critics place it just behind Plastic Ono Band. I am one of these. For starters, ATMP is produced horribly; so is the remastered version. About half of the songs are still really great though and Clapton and Harrison together with the horns and arrangements are magical at times.
Still, there's just no way in hell that it touches Plastic Ono Band or Two Virgins, and it's probably not as good as the Imagine album or Life with the The Lions ep either.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
Old 11.20.2006, 06:16 PM   #19
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
finding nobody has the best musical taste of anyone here.
You're too kind dude. Thank ya
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 06:19 PM   #20
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
All Things Must Pass is considered by many a critic to be the best post-Beatles offering. I don't fall into that fold. Many other critics place it just behind Plastic Ono Band. I am one of these. For starters, ATMP is produced horribly; so is the remastered version. About half of the songs are still really great though and Clapton and Harrision together with the horns and arrangements are magical at times.
Still, there's just no way in hell that it touches Plastic Ono Band, Two Virgins, and it's probably not as good as the Imagine album or Life with the The Lions ep either.

I never said that "ATMP" was better than "Two Virgins". I just think that "ATMP" is a one of a kind record. Much like "Plastic Ono Band" & "Two Virgins".
-George Carlin

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth