Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page your top 10 all time comic book series/graphic novels...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2008, 09:21 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
for serious geeks only.

1. the watchmen; written by alan moore; illustrated by dave gibbons.
an obvious choice, but cmon, its perfect.

2. batman: the killing joke; written by alan moore; illustrated by brian bolland.
hadnt read this since i was a kid, but after watching the 'dark knight' i had to pick up a copy, ive been obsessed ever since. its almost perfect, the art is amazing, and moore's writing is as usual, top notch. the ending with batman and the joker sharing a joke and a hysterical laugh is excellent. only thing i dont dig about this is the origin story, joker should have no origin story.

3. batman: the dark knight returns; written and illustrated by frank miller.
probably the only series that as a story could compare to the watchmen. the aging batman is an interesting conception of the icon, and the art, well, is fantastic.

4. wolverine: origins; written by daniel way; illustrated by steve dillon.
i just thing wolverine is the raddest superhero ever. this is his best solo series

5. the swamp thing; written by alan moore; illustrated by tom yeates
one of the greatest testaments to moore's talents. he took a stupud as fuck comic series about some super hero plant monster, and totally revamped it into a terrifying horror comic series about a hero plant monster. i remember when i was a little kid i had this videotape animated swampthing movie, i used to watch it millions of times over with my dad. i was 8 when i discovered there was a comic book about swamp thing, when i found alan moore's version, my eyes were stuck to that thing for months.

6. sin city; written and illustrated by frank miller
it got really trendy after the movie, but anyone who has read these cant deny how fucking awesome, fucked up, and spooky they really are. the neo noir meets horror tales of murderous prostitutes, a psychopathic cannibal with a pet wolf, a yellow head child mollestor, and marv, how the fuck could any geek not love this? the movie aint bad either.

7. from hell; written by alan moore, illustrated by eddie cambell
a terrifying look into the motives driving jack the ripper. the book is as scary as any true crime novels, its like 'helter skelter', only it has awesome pictures.

8. uncanny x men; writen by stan lee (and a shitload others); illustrated by jack kirby
its original x men, it fucking rules.

9. batman: year one; written by frank miller; illustratred by david mazzuchelli
it says in the liner notes that in the early 80s, dc was getting smoked by marvel comics (with good reason). they knew thier biggest series were becoming dated. they had to revamp thier franchise, and started with thier three biggest icons; superman, wonder woman, and batman. the problem with batman was that his back story was already perfect. so instead of changing his origin, they simp;y improved it. and with the help of frank miller, improved it they did. excellent origin story, very interesting conception of bruce wayne, and easily one of the most violent of all the batman series.

10. v for vendetta; written by alan moore; illustrated by david lloyd.
so fucking ambitious. nobody would ever think of comics as a means of warning the public of a bleak dystopan future.

well, from this thread you have now all the proof you need that im a nerd. i could care fucking less.

its also obvious that i am really into the work of frank miller and alan moore. moore is like the william s burroughs of comic books if you ask me.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Stickboy
Hate
Schizo
Meat Cake
Cages
Dirty Plotte
Loose Teeth
Yikes
Trailer Trash
Exquisite Corpse
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:26 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Everything I know about comics (which seems like a lot to my roommate and some friends but its really just limited to knowing origins and particular events like Secret Wars) but I've never really read a whole series or anything. I just read whatever my brother got when I was so young (I think around eight).

However, I did just finish reading Watchmen for the upcoming film.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Love & Rockets by Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez
ACME Novelty Library by Chris Ware
Secret Comics Japan - Edited by Chikao Shiratori
Eightball - Daniel Clowes
A Panorama of Hell - Hideshi Hino
El Borbah & Big Baby - Charles Burns
Goodbye & Other Stories - Yoshihiro Tatsumi
Buddha - Osamu Tezuka
Superfuckers - James Kochalka
Hicksville - Dylan Horrocks
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 10:32 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Love & Rockets by Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez
ACME Novelty Library by Chris Ware
Secret Comics Japan - Edited by Chikao Shiratori
Eightball - Daniel Clowes
A Panorama of Hell - Hideshi Hino
El Borbah & Big Baby - Charles Burns
Goodbye & Other Stories - Yoshihiro Tatsumi
Buddha - Osamu Tezuka
Superfuckers - James Kochalka
Hicksville - Dylan Horrocks

Did you ever read Yummy Fur, or Hate?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 10:42 AM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't been a comic book fan for a long time, i used to read comics when i was 3 and then there was this huge span where n more comics-- however

PREACHER has been some of the most awesome shit i've read in a while.

the rest, i'm still sniffing around. LOVE & ROCKETS i've liked, but i'm not sure of what i've read or in what order, etc.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 10:46 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i just thing wolverine is the raddest superhero ever. this is his best solo series

I have this! I think there are only 4 in the series, right?

it's been too long for me but: STRAY TOASTERS
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 10:56 AM   #8
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I have this! I think there are only 4 in the series, right?

it's been too long for me but: STRAY TOASTERS

si senor

everyone here seems to be into the more underground type comics. i like a love a lot of those too, but it seems that comic books is the one medium where i prefer the more popular ones to the more underground ones

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am stricking to graphic novels, not comic series like love and rockets, hate, or 8-ball, even though I love them)

WATCHMEN - have read it 6 times. it always hits me hard.

MAUS - have read it 4 times. fascinating and so personal. unbelievable story.

FROM HELL - have read it three times. so freaking great, and the chapter where , without much dialogue, they show the final murder of jack the ripper. that shit freaks me out every time. fascinating ephemera too, including source material listings and discussions of every scene!!!

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS - have read it 5-6 times. shoplifted the leather bound collected copy back in the early early 90's. fucking amazing amazing amazing
Old 08.06.2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Did you ever read Yummy Fur, or Hate?

Yep, some of Chester Brown's stuff I like, but I get a bit tired of these "sensitive" comic writers writing about themselves, Hate I like but I wouldn't call it a favourite.
Old 08.06.2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Everything I know about comics (which seems like a lot to my roommate and some friends but its really just limited to knowing origins and particular events like Secret Wars) but I've never really read a whole series or anything. I just read whatever my brother got when I was so young (I think around eight).

However, I did just finish reading Watchmen for the upcoming film.
i agree
Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Everything I know about comics (which seems like a lot to my roommate and some friends but its really just limited to knowing origins and particular events like Secret Wars) but I've never really read a whole series or anything.

what kind of a sentence is that?
Old 08.06.2008, 06:00 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yep, some of Chester Brown's stuff I like, but I get a bit tired of these "sensitive" comic writers writing about themselves, Hate I like but I wouldn't call it a favourite.

I think the Yummy Fur series on it's own was incredibly good, but it did spawn a lot of rubbish. Hate was just good fun, like an Andy Cap for Big Black fans.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 06:03 PM   #14
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
what kind of a sentence is that?
A compound-complex sentence strongly lacking a predicate, I think.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
In no real order:

Watchmen
Y The Last Man
Star Wars: Dark Times (I like a lot of Star Wars shit honestly)
Sin City
Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Long Halloween (I like Batman comics in general)
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man (I stopped reading this, but it was good a while ago)
Pax Romana
Locke And Key (This is fairly new, and I'm liking it so far)
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 06:52 PM   #16
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I've never actually read a graphic novel. Weird.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 07:19 PM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

That was a fucking great mini-series thing. My friend got the actual comics when they came out and I was extremely jealous. I was a few weeks late and they were already going for a fortune, so I got the graphic novel version.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:42 PM   #19
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
for serious geeks only.

1. the watchmen; written by alan moore; illustrated by dave gibbons.
an obvious choice, but cmon, its perfect.

2. batman: the killing joke; written by alan moore; illustrated by brian bolland.
hadnt read this since i was a kid, but after watching the 'dark knight' i had to pick up a copy, ive been obsessed ever since. its almost perfect, the art is amazing, and moore's writing is as usual, top notch. the ending with batman and the joker sharing a joke and a hysterical laugh is excellent. only thing i dont dig about this is the origin story, joker should have no origin story.

3. batman: the dark knight returns; written and illustrated by frank miller.
probably the only series that as a story could compare to the watchmen. the aging batman is an interesting conception of the icon, and the art, well, is fantastic.

5. the swamp thing; written by alan moore; illustrated by tom yeates
one of the greatest testaments to moore's talents. he took a stupud as fuck comic series about some super hero plant monster, and totally revamped it into a terrifying horror comic series about a hero plant monster. i remember when i was a little kid i had this videotape animated swampthing movie, i used to watch it millions of times over with my dad. i was 8 when i discovered there was a comic book about swamp thing, when i found alan moore's version, my eyes were stuck to that thing for months.

6. sin city; written and illustrated by frank miller
it got really trendy after the movie, but anyone who has read these cant deny how fucking awesome, fucked up, and spooky they really are. the neo noir meets horror tales of murderous prostitutes, a psychopathic cannibal with a pet wolf, a yellow head child mollestor, and marv, how the fuck could any geek not love this? the movie aint bad either.

7. from hell; written by alan moore, illustrated by eddie cambell
a terrifying look into the motives driving jack the ripper. the book is as scary as any true crime novels, its like 'helter skelter', only it has awesome pictures.

8. uncanny x men; writen by stan lee (and a shitload others); illustrated by jack kirby
its original x men, it fucking rules.

9. batman: year one; written by frank miller; illustratred by david mazzuchelli
it says in the liner notes that in the early 80s, dc was getting smoked by marvel comics (with good reason). they knew thier biggest series were becoming dated. they had to revamp thier franchise, and started with thier three biggest icons; superman, wonder woman, and batman. the problem with batman was that his back story was already perfect. so instead of changing his origin, they simp;y improved it. and with the help of frank miller, improved it they did. excellent origin story, very interesting conception of bruce wayne, and easily one of the most violent of all the batman series.

10. v for vendetta; written by alan moore; illustrated by david lloyd.
so fucking ambitious. nobody would ever think of comics as a means of warning the public of a bleak dystopan future.

well, from this thread you have now all the proof you need that im a nerd. i could care fucking less.

its also obvious that i am really into the work of frank miller and alan moore. moore is like the william s burroughs of comic books if you ask me.

I've actually read all of these except for the Uncanny X-Men. Really liked the Wolverine too. A friend of mine has a brother that had all of them and he was my library. Also, I really liked the Moebius/Stan Lee collabs for Silver Surfer and liked Airtight Garage and some other Moebius titles. Although, The Dark Knight Returns story is okay, I seem to remember that I didn't really dig the illustration as much as you. I rank Year One higher, or at least I think I do.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

as far as x-men goes i much prefer chris claremont's run on uncanny x-men and grant morrison's run on new x-men. astonishing x-men is great too, as were the district x and nyx mini-series.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth