Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Multi Effect Pedals....
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2009, 01:46 PM   #1
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Do you use 'em? My birthday is comin' up and I wanted to know if I should ask for a multi effects pedal or just seperate pedals.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
The only one I've ever used that has been worth it's salt is the ElectroHarmonix Holy Stain, that being said, it's still not great unless you only want to use Fuzz/OD and one effect (choice of reverb, tremolo, or pitchshift) at a time. It'll run $90-100

Just buy a bunch of Behringer single effects (can be had for $30-40 each) and you'll be set, just don't get a Behringer mult-effect.
Old 01.08.2009, 02:58 PM   #3
al shabbray

single pedals all the way.
they always sound worse then the single version!
maybe there are some nice ones, but havent found so far!

the best solution, like always when it comes to purchase some new gear is to go into a shop where they got a bunch of them, and try them out. if possible compare them to each other and let your ears decide. you cant go wrong with that!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:19 PM   #4
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
^Ahhh don't say that they don't sound bad but there is definately a difference. Both my uncle who is a bassist and his guitarist use multi effects. simply because they can program everything to what they like and make different tones you couldnt get out of just one stompbox. (vintage modelling and such) and their tone is pretty awesome live and in teh studio.

I had a mini mini multi effect pedal, a korg ax10, which was not so good because there were only 2 switches to controll the effects. I like multieffects to have separate switches for individual effects, like one for od/dist, one for reverb/delay and several others. Those are more expensive.

This is the one my uncle's guitarist uses. It's valve powered and although I dont realy know what that does I think its a really awesome multi effect pedal because you can pretty much controll everything without having to buy single pedlas and you have a bunch of cool efects that you never even dreamed of buying as single pedals and its really fun.

I like the 2 wah/expression pedals that the thing has.

Also, the bigger the multi effect pedals are the better, that way you get more controll and options over your effects.

phew.

I'm still a pedal guy though. dont like the digital feel
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:22 PM   #5
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
The only one I've ever used that has been worth it's salt is the ElectroHarmonix Holy Stain, that being said, it's still not great unless you only want to use Fuzz/OD and one effect (choice of reverb, tremolo, or pitchshift) at a time. It'll run $90-100

Just buy a bunch of Behringer single effects (can be had for $30-40 each) and you'll be set, just don't get a Behringer mult-effect.

i have a bunch of behringer pedals. they are actaul pretty good. i use the delay one all the time with my super big muff. i, also, have a behringer fuzz pedal and a wah pedal that is more of an echo/delay pedal. the fuzz pedal is nice but the wah pedal blows.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:31 PM   #6
al shabbray

oh no. I just wanted to say that all that Ive tried sounding nothing like what Ive searched for. i am sure there are some very good ones. like the one you ve mentioned and/or the line6 models seem to be pretty good sounding as well.
its just, they dont work for me and I posted my first reply in bad memories of a really really crappy one. and please see the second part of my first message as my main opinion about that topic

btw
zvex fuzz factory

if you are looking for extreme and versatile fuzz, check it out. I love it to death. from really dirty crunch sounds, over highly distorted up to self oscillating madness. but its pretty expansive, but worth every penny.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i have a bunch of behringer pedals. they are actaul pretty good. i use the delay one all the time with my super big muff. i, also, have a behringer fuzz pedal and a wah pedal that is more of an echo/delay pedal. the fuzz pedal is nice but the wah pedal blows.

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying the Boss DF-2 clone and Boss PN-2 clone they make.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:47 PM   #8
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
yes go for separate pedals, buy a bunch of 3/4 and then upgrade to more expensive ones when you got the $$$$$ and when you've mastered the ART.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Also, can't go wrong with a Russian Big Muff, those will set you back about $60.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:58 PM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Also, can't go wrong with a Russian Big Muff, those will set you back about $60.
I got me one of those. I also have a behringer delay pedal.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 04:31 PM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
oh no. I just wanted to say that all that Ive tried sounding nothing like what Ive searched for. i am sure there are some very good ones. like the one you ve mentioned and/or the line6 models seem to be pretty good sounding as well.
its just, they dont work for me and I posted my first reply in bad memories of a really really crappy one. and please see the second part of my first message as my main opinion about that topic

btw
zvex fuzz factory

if you are looking for extreme and versatile fuzz, check it out. I love it to death. from really dirty crunch sounds, over highly distorted up to self oscillating madness. but its pretty expansive, but worth every penny.

death by audio super sonic fuzz gun all the way \m/

Im not into all the hype about the fuzz factory everyone seems to have one these days,.

Yeah the behringers are awesome, they're cheap sturdy (that plastic is really strong despite it looks cheap) and pretty okay. I circuit bent 2 delays last summer and they sounded allright as an effect, lacking in some controls maybne
Old 01.08.2009, 04:32 PM   #12
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about buying the Boss DF-2 clone and Boss PN-2 clone they make.

i might go for a df2 just for the lulz to see how i can rip off boris or hum.
Old 01.08.2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Hum is the reason I'm getting one. It's basically a DS-1 circuit with the feature of holding the pedal down to keep an overtone going. It's pretty cool and you can play over it. I just don't have the $100-$125 to shell out on an actual DF-2 right now.
Old 01.08.2009, 04:37 PM   #14
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Haha nice. but hum is all about 2000k amp rigs. I think the thickness of their tone comes from their amps and humbuckers (because there's no way a ds1 could pull that off)

but im still confused about the df2.
Old 01.08.2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Video demo from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4F6pjX8BM

Link to BossArea info site:
http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/df2.xml

Pic of Hum's guitarist/singer's pedals from New Years show:

other guitarist's pedals:

Old 01.08.2009, 04:56 PM   #16
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

^I know I saw... Too bad I wasn't there. Did you go? I couldnt have flown across the ocean for just that one thing.

I fucking love how matt's df has the a different color for the part over the switch. it looks awesome.
Old 01.08.2009, 04:57 PM   #17
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

ohhh lollll thats the guy who sounds like jack black.

(youtube vid)
Old 01.08.2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

No, I didn't go. I wish I could have but there's no way I could have made it.
Old 01.08.2009, 04:59 PM   #19
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

that sounds hum-ish. especially at like around 1:27-the chord progression sounds like iron clad lou, and with a cranked up amp you could definately get the tone...

hmm now, behringer clone, or the real thing...

Well i'm spending 600 euros on an AC15 tomorrow so i wont be able to buy things for a while.
Old 01.08.2009, 05:00 PM   #20
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, I didn't go. I wish I could have but there's no way I could have made it.

fuck. I'm fucking pissed off because half of the crown was like, drunken because of the open bar, and they didn't really get the full attention of the crowd. (so i hear)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth