Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Moogerfooger MF-104Z
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2008, 08:50 AM   #1
al shabbray

did anyone here played one of these?
I really like analog delays, and love my ibanez AD-80 to death. I am always wondering if the moogerfooger delay could top that ibanez gem...
I got the moogerfooger mf-102 ring mod and I think its top notch when it comes down to ring mods, lie i said, wonder if they can hold that quality for analog delays.
would be nice if somebody could give me another opinion about it.
thanks
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 10:57 AM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
The coolest thing to me about the 104z is that you can control everything via CV.

If you're not going to use it, there are probably better options out there.

But anyways, you can take a special stereo patch cable (the ring terminal must be disconnected*) and hook up your Moogerfooger ring mod's LFO CV OUT to the delay time control on the MF-104z and it will modulate the delay. Or you could use the carrier OUT on the MF-102 and hook it up to the feedback in on the MF-104z and then control the ring mod frequency and the amount of feedback with an expression pedal.

The reason the ring terminal has to be disconnected is because the CV in jacks are also expression pedal jacks and supply 5.7 volts to the ring terminal of a stereo cable, and receive part of that voltage back from the variable resistor inside an expression pedal. When you plug in a CV out to a CV in, the CV source has its own voltage and it doesn't need the 5.7 volts that the CV IN jack supplies to expression pedals. Plus I believe the CV out terminals are mono so the 5.7 volts will get shorted out if the ring terminal in your patch cord is connected.

That's all in the manuals and better explained in them though.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 10:58 AM   #3
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
where's CHOUT?! i bet he could've tell you something...

*edit* didnt saw yr post, Julian
Old 09.06.2008, 11:02 AM   #4
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
The coolest thing to me about the 104z is that you can control everything via CV.

If you're not going to use it, there are probably better options out there.

But anyways, you can take a special stereo patch cable (one of the lines has to be shorted because of the way CV works) and hook up your Moogerfooger ring mod's LFO to the delay time control on the MF-104z and it will modulate the delay.

damn, that sounds hillarious. I saw a really good demo video on youtube a few minutes ago and you are right, controlling the feedback amount via expression pedal makes me dream about some shoegazing live blasts. also that you got an effect loop lets me wet my pants... damn that thing is expansive like hell.
do you own it?
what about the sound, I dont wanna rely on shittiy youtube videos for that, an opinion from a like-minded person would be better I think.
(sound compared to a ad-80, maybe?)
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 11:15 AM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I want the Moog MP-201

It is the expression pedal to end all expression pedals. Control 4 different pedals through CV, has built in LFOS, sequencers, etc.

Check it. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwPOvcJwSnY
Old 09.06.2008, 11:17 AM   #6
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
damn, that sounds hillarious. I saw a really good demo video on youtube a few minutes ago and you are right, controlling the feedback amount via expression pedal makes me dream about some shoegazing live blasts. also that you got an effect loop lets me wet my pants... damn that thing is expansive like hell.
do you own it?
what about the sound, I dont wanna rely on shittiy youtube videos for that, an opinion from a like-minded person would be better I think.
(sound compared to a ad-80, maybe?)

I don't own it, I just am nerdy about what moogers can do.

I can't actually afford any of that shit.
Old 09.06.2008, 11:20 AM   #7
al shabbray

yes they are expansice. I safed my money for about a year to buy myself the ring mod, a few years ago, and the delay would be a pain in the ass if I would buy it now, but I am considering cause its limited and I just dont wanna bite my ass in a few years...
and that expression pedal seems to be insane, especially with some moogerfoogers, holy shit thanks for the link
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 11:36 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Yeah. . . plus I'm pretty sure it could hook up to my EHX HOG.

The way you can program it to step through things, I bet I could program it to step through different pitches on the bend mode, so I can bend a chord up by exact intervals.

Or I could hook it up to my EHX Polyphase and make it do cool effects on that.
Old 09.06.2008, 11:41 AM   #9
al shabbray

hahaha
would you say the mf-104z is worth the money or would it be a waste if you already got an ad-80 (original)?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 02:02 PM   #10
al shabbray

for what I know I would go for the freq box I think. Ive read that the murf only got those preset sounds, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was the reason for me to be turned off of this thing. you are a lucky one to have a voyager...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxx_YbHyBig

maybe this will help a little
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 02:14 PM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
okay 2 quick questions...

I have a Moog Voyager. The thing can get crazy thru CV, especially if you get the CV expander. I am looking to get the widest moogerfooger to accompany it for stange sound creations. Maybe the new Freqbox or the MurF, but I am curious on the MurF if the "animation" can be turned off so that the filters are controlled manually only. Or are you only stuck with preset animations? I may message Moog, but I though I'd ask here first, as it seems some are intersted....

Second, where is CHOUT?

I actually sent him a message on here like a month ago, but I may have messaged a dummy account, as I haven't seen him in a bit.....

Not sure whether or not you can turn off the animation on the MURF.
I don't know, I'd probably get the delay
Old 09.06.2008, 02:17 PM   #12
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
hahaha
would you say the mf-104z is worth the money or would it be a waste if you already got an ad-80 (original)?

hey spectral for the case youve missed that post
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 02:21 PM   #13
al shabbray

the cv expander is with the moogerfoogers already a really interesting and mighty weapon. I understood it that way that you already got that one, my fault
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 03:16 PM   #14
al shabbray

nice vid, sounds a little bit like a controllable blue box
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 03:55 PM   #15
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
nice.... yeah its crazy how on most virtual analogs (MS2000 for example) I felt like I had mastered them. The Moog is unbelieveable. I've spent some time with it, but I know I've only scratched the surface...

I'm right with ya there with the MuRF... but it does have an animation amount knob if I'm not mistaken. I just wanna know for sure if when you turn it down that the animation is gone, not set at a low level, ya know?

The freq box is cool, probably cooler for other instruments to get moog sounds, but with the voyager you've got another oscilator free so you con ring mod or sync already....

I'm sure with the CV expander you could wire it up incorrectly/experiment to get very convulted sounds like a circuit bent instument.

EDIT - as with a lot of delays, they can be very formidable for sonic onslaughts, but I am looking for something more on the sound creation side, like really stange tones/tibres out of the Moog. Probably add delay after that anyways....

I'ds say ring mod then
Old 09.06.2008, 03:57 PM   #16
al shabbray

aaaaaah spectral please reply to my question too!!!!! I am going insane
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 04:01 PM   #17
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Ummm worth the money. . .

Ummmmm. . .

It depends on how into it you are really. If you really want to get into CV and stuff and use the loop then I'd say yes I guess.

Although you might want to check out the Malekko delays. Shorter time span, but still some of the expression options.
Old 09.06.2008, 04:05 PM   #18
al shabbray

no its more about the sound quality... but I am really interested in its effectloop and expression qualities, but Ive heard it cant hold up with the sound of an ad-80, just the qulity not the length
I think you mixed hypertonic replies with my ones, could that be?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 04:31 PM   #19
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

I don't think I mixed you two up, but I'd have to reread my replies.

Quality wise, I'm not sure. . . from what I've heard it is very dark sounding. I believe the AD-80 is supposed to be bright isn't it?

You'd need to consult an expert on that matter though.
Old 09.06.2008, 05:02 PM   #20
al shabbray

hahaha thanks anyway. yes the ad-80 can both really dark and really bright without being too bright, its just lovely
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth